#1 Minitrio

Minitrio

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

Hi everyone,

How do i adjust my Belt Tensioner on my 97' MPI. Trying to fit new belt, after first one snapped.

Cheers

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

Loosen the nut in the middle of the tensioner pulley, then turn the tensioning bolt that points towards the front of the car, to move the tensioner pulley away from the belt (toward the front of the car). If you dont slacken the nut in the middle of the tensioner pulley and force the tensioning bolt, you will break it.

#3 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:42 AM

Be very careful when you do the nut back up in the middle of the little pulley wheel, be gentle and just nip it up. Don't try and do it up too tight or it will shear off and you'll then have to replace the tensioning bracket................I speak from bitter experience...d'oh !!!!

#4 Minitrio

Minitrio

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:04 AM

Cheers Sprocket, I've just worked out why it wouldn't move, i hadn't undone the nut in the centre of the actual pulley.

Also thanks for the warning Miniboy, I have a tendancy to turn a simple job into an epic, because i sheared a bolt or bust something! Lol

#5 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Local Club: Lincolnshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:25 AM

Centre pully bolt should be torqued up - 25Nm, same as spark plugs/ sump plug

Regarding the actual adjuster nut, I believe haynes and the rover manual are incorrect, this nut is actually clockwise to SLACKEN the belt, and anti-clockwise to TIGHTEN. (Ive just done one myself). The nut is not a normal hex, but a square drive - definately imperial, not metric, i think it was 7/16" or 5/16"...but not sure

Ryan.

#6 Minitrio

Minitrio

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:59 AM

Nice one, that'll make the job easier, Cheers ryan. I'm working on about 6-8 mm flexion in the belt, is that correct?

#7 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Local Club: Lincolnshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

Nice one, that'll make the job easier, Cheers ryan. I'm working on about 6-8 mm flexion in the belt, is that correct?

Correct ;)

Ryan.

#8 Phil64jones

Phil64jones

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:24 PM

Correct http://www.theminifo..._DIR#/smile.png

Ryan.

#9 Phil64jones

Phil64jones

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:32 PM

Hi, I’m just reinstalling the alternator on my MPi after changing the radiator. I managed to get the belt off okay when I removed the alternator but just can’t get it back on! The square adjuster will turn some but I don’t want to force it, the real issue is that when I try to undo the Belt Tensioning Pulley the pulley itself just turns rather than the nut. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! TIA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users