#1 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

Any of you who may have followed my pre-L2B thread would have know that I had a serious amount of interior works to do on my project before the run. Well, as I didn't get finished until about 8 on the night before the run, I didn't get to fully test everything so there were a few hiccups on the day.

Now, it's all done and finished and working and I'm sharing the photo's in case they help or inspire anyone of you.

Hope you likey ;)

This is the passenger side door pocket I've used from a Mark 1 Metro. They are very very nearly the same as the Mini pocket with the shape and hole alignment but not quite. Good enough though. Here I've given it 4 coats of plastic primer and 5 coats of matt black paint.

Posted Image

This is the inside of the door pocket (obviously :) ). I've used carpet tape to line the pocket with thin automotive carpet, to prevent any rattling of items caused by the speakers. The speakers are ultra-thin 4" Lanzar's which are the only ones I could find that would fit without cutting big holes in the door for the magnet.

Posted Image

Here's the wiring in situ. I've used the tailgate gaitors from an MG Metro to house and protect the wires (top TMF tip ;) ), but getting the holes drilled was a sod. Doors off job.

Posted Image

Here are the wires again, utilising an existing gromet and hole in the body behind the carpet.

Posted Image

Here it is, plumbed in and fitted. Personally I think it's quite a subtle front speaker install.

Posted Image

Here's my JVC KD-NX5000 installed in my new Sportspack dash. The head unit is a CD/Tuner/DVD/Sat-Nav unit all-in-one. The Sat-Nav antenna is just a small 1" square by 1/4" box that sits on top of the dash, right up against the glass, and is barely noticable. Incidentally, I bought this unit over a year ago, and it's taken this long to get everything else ready to install it :P I think there's a newer updated version available now. (if you do want to fit one of these, or similar, then you'll need a 67H transducer from these people. It just fits inline with the speedo cable)

You can also see the secondaty interior light I've fitted in place of the ash tray. It was a 5 quid purchase from ebay and I think it might have come from another Rover, but was being advertised as being an ash tray replacement, and it really isn't a bad fit at all. I've wired it so that it's 'off' when 'rocked' upwards, 'on' with the door switch when in the middle and 'on' permanently when 'rocked' downwards.

Posted Image

Here's the glove box. Again, I've lined it with a thin automotive carpet and fitted a standard (later) Mini interior light in the back (if you've got an MPi dash in you car, you'll see a rectangle inside (where mine is fitted) where the interior light is fitted as standard on jap spec cars). I've also fitted a fag lighter socket (for phone charger, not faglighter) and wired in the light for it, and the interior, to the side lights.

Posted Image

Now it's all working, sat nav (which has caused me a bit of grief) and pleased as the proverbial punch :angel: .

Hope you like it and it's of interest to you

#2 huntface

huntface

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

Looks good. Like what you've done with those lights.

Where did you get those door pockets? My mate wants a set like that

#3 Mutley_RIP

Mutley_RIP

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Local Club: WAMO

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

that ashtray light is a bloody good idea.

#4 captainjack15

captainjack15

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts
  • Local Club: Somerset Rusteez

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

Very good mate.

Glove box looks smart!

#5 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:22 PM

Looks great - I particularly like the Metro tailgate wiring conduit thingy between the door & pillar - I may well use a pair of them for the Central locking and electric windows on my Clubby when I take it off the road later this year. One thing I would suggest for the benefit of anyone else who wants to do the same is that the hole in the pillar would be better above the hole in the door - that way, if any water manages to get into the conduit, it will drain into the door and out through the drain holes in the bottom of it rather than into the car.

JR

#6 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

Looks good. Like what you've done with those lights.

Where did you get those door pockets? My mate wants a set like that

I already had a pair of MG Metro pockets from ebay, but the shape is different (more square) and the hole alignment is different too. I got these by pure chance from a bloke on here who mentioned he was stripping a Mk1 Metro and was flogging the engine. Still got the metro ones and a pair of Rover 100 tailgate gaiters (very similar, just slightly bigger flanges that'd need chopping off).

Glad you like! :)

#7 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:28 PM

Looks great - I particularly like the Metro tailgate wiring conduit thingy between the door & pillar - I may well use a pair of them for the Central locking and electric windows on my Clubby when I take it off the road later this year. One thing I would suggest for the benefit of anyone else who wants to do the same is that the hole in the pillar would be better above the hole in the door - that way, if any water manages to get into the conduit, it will drain into the door and out through the drain holes in the bottom of it rather than into the car.

JR

A fair point, but don't forget that the gaiter protudes into the body and doot by about 1/4" and the amount of water that gets into the doors down that pillar has got to get in the gaiter first, then over all the grooves/bumps, into the car and through the soundproofing and carpet.

Don't mean to dismiss your point, I only used the existing hole because it was there and I was so pressed for time. There is of course the possibility that water could get onto the wires and have a free ride into the car's interior. If I get any problems, I'll definately post back. :)

#8 huntface

huntface

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

Oh right cool. I'll tell him what to look out for.

#9 Mr Duck

Mr Duck

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Local Club: Clubless!

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

I'll tell you what, that's a great idea to put the fag lighter plug in the glove box - still have all the functionality but you don't have to drill out holes from the dashboard either. Might steal that idea myself...! :)

#10 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

Shuold also mention that I had to mount a 600W amp in the boot, on the rear seat panel. 300W would have been more than enough but it didn't allow for any future changes and was only a teensy bit more expensive. I didn't take any pics because the wiring is still all over the place.

I also replaced the rear speakers with Lanzar slimline 5.25"ers, just so they match and it free's up an extra 1" of room in the boot.

Sound is great as, when balanced, you can't hear where it's coming from. My only gripe at present, is the lack of obvious bass. I'm not a bass junky or chavvy tw*t, but on a day like today, I do love a windows open, feel good drive with some decent beats! :) The head unit doesn't have a bass setting, it's all equalizer controlled so I've got to set it up the hard way when I get time.

#11 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

I'll tell you what, that's a great idea to put the fag lighter plug in the glove box - still have all the functionality but you don't have to drill out holes from the dashboard either. Might steal that idea myself...! :)

Be my guest :P Share and share alike!!!

I bought it on eBay really cheap ( I bought 7 at once, 3 for me, and two each for my bro and his bird). It's better that getting a socket from a scrappy because it had a cover over it, rather than a fag lighter in it.

I'm going to fit the next two in the rear companion bins (plastic inserts as it's an MPi) so that the kids can plug things in, extra screens for the DVD etc.

Having it in the glove box also means I can charge the phone without it being on display :angel:

#12 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

Damn you!!!!!

I was gonna do that with the light in the glovegox :P Definatley a good idea though, i've often thought if the cutout was for a light.

#13 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:50 PM

Damn you!!!!!

I was gonna do that with the light in the glovegox :P Definatley a good idea though, i've often thought if the cutout was for a light.

LOL!

Yeah, it's damn useful.

The only mod I had to do, other than cut out the hole, was make a cardboard and tin foil reflector to go over the bulb where it protrudes through the back of the glovebox (so it wasn't lighting the entire dast from behind), and modify the clips that hold it in, as the mounting depth had increased because of the extra thickness of the glovebox lining.

#14 Marky Tizz

Marky Tizz

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

Bloody lovely, Love that HU and the accessories you've plumbed in. Great job.

#15 j.gerbes

j.gerbes

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:33 AM

JR

A fair point, but don't forget that the gaiter protudes into the body and doot by about 1/4" and the amount of water that gets into the doors down that pillar has got to get in the gaiter first, then over all the grooves/bumps, into the car and through the soundproofing and carpet.

Don't mean to dismiss your point, I only used the existing hole because it was there and I was so pressed for time. There is of course the possibility that water could get onto the wires and have a free ride into the car's interior. If I get any problems, I'll definately post back. http://www.theminifo...R#/thumbsup.gif

Sorry to drag up this old post...

Just wondering, did you ever end up having any issues? I’m planning to do the same to my mini soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users