#16 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:24 AM

I quite like the yellow :thumbsup: Looks like you've got a good welding tutor, and that spit looks good, I could do with both of those!

If you don't mind could you take a pic of the rear subframe mount from inside the boot? I'm interested to see how you did it, I had the same problem but bought an old genuine one instead lol.

Also what are those wheels?

Keep up the good work.

Hi Daveeeee

Sorry it's took so long to reply, been busy at work.

The panels we replaced in the boot were not genuine and the holes didn't line up at all. I cut some thicker plates for strength and welded them on the underside before re fitting the subframe, taking lots of measurements to ensure it was straight.

Posted Image

I then drilled through the subframe mounting brackets into the new plate which gave me new holes in the repair panel.

Posted Image

Then with the subframe still in place I bolted through the original holes in the arch support bracket and then welded it to the floor and arch.

Posted Image

I had to "adjust" the brackets slightly to get them tight to the arch. This made me think the subframe was too far back but it was tight to the body on the front mountings and this was the same frame that was on the car before we started welding.

Posted Image

Foy your info' the bracket on the right (which was a pattern part) needed more "adjustment" than the one on the left which was a heritage piece. Interestingly, the genuine heritage one from Moss was half the price of the pattern part bought elsewhere.

As for the wheels, I have no idea as I got just 2 of them with the car. My pal seem to think they may be Cosmic as he thinks they are like some he had on a Hillman Imp many years ago.

I'm not planning to use them so if anyone has an interest, let me know.

Your car is looking good. I have done the same thing welding up the rear panel from the inside but I'm going for a smooth no bumper rear end if I can get it right. If not, I'll be pinching your idea and welding brackets on for a bumper!

#17 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

Bit of an update on progress. I have still been doing bits as & when, just not found time to update.

Here goes.

Posted Image

Welded the new heritage rear valance in place from the back, ground the lip off and them welded a seam across the back before dressing back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Found it much easier to do the wheel arches upside down but a slight "design flaw" in the spit saw the car fall off on to the roof causing some minor damage.
Rosco, FYI, so you don't get caught out we have now put a pin at the end of the main bar. I had pushed the supports right to the edge to gain room and knocked it when I moved causing the car to fall.

Posted Image

One wheelarch was patched at the rear

Posted Image

The other side, after taking Ethel's advice, thanks, was cut out completely and replaced. If any one is thinking of doing this, do the arch before the boot floor as we had to undo some of the work we had already done to get the arch in place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Made some card templates to fabricate some patches before seam welding them in place

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once all the welding was finished, I covered boot floor with some filler. Purely cosmetic as all the metal underneath is solid.

That was about as far as I got before going on holiday but have done some more since I got back. Will post another update over the next few days.

#18 Jamez26

Jamez26

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:50 PM

looks awesome, keep up the good work.

#19 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:54 PM

Great :thumbsup:

#20 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

Good work, bet she cant wait!

Edited by mighty mini jack, 12 July 2009 - 05:05 PM.

#21 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:09 PM

looking great nice work

#22 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for those kind words guys, it's much appreciated.

I just thought I'd pop this one in from when I was on holiday. We wanted to hire a car and when I saw this one on the list...... Well, it would have been rude not to!

Posted Image

Now where did I put that hacksaw???

#23 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

forgive me if im wrong its a DURV AND CONVERTABLE BMW hahahahahaha lol 2 wrong make a right ?

#24 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

forgive me if im wrong its a DURV AND CONVERTABLE BMW hahahahahaha lol 2 wrong make a right ?

Hi SFM,
If by DURV you mean Diesel, then no, it was a fairly gutless 1600 (I think) mini one, built by BMW yes, but still wore a Mini badge, (I'm not getting into this argument as everyone is entitled to their own opinion). It certainly beat all the other options on the rental list and what's more, it was great fun!!

#25 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:47 PM

nah i like bmw mini its just i have a stigma for all bmw convertables

and normally big white stickers denote to diesel lol

#26 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:02 PM

Bit more of an update on some of the work done since coming back off holiday.

Started to get some filler on the valance join now it's all welded solid.

Posted Image

The alignment was out as the rear hinge repair panel moved when we fully welded it along the back. I fitted the boot lid and ran filler all along before rubbing down to get a good profile. A total pain and took an age but the result was worth it. Also welded up the holes for the number plate light unit to add to the smooth rear look.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In 2 minds now what to do about the rear fog light. I bought a new style mini one thinking I could get it to fit but it is going to be too messy.

Posted Image

I spoke to an MOT tester who said he would pass the car if the fog light was in the r/h revesing light but still open minded. Any suggestions, ideas, pictures welcome.

Inside the boot was also smoothed out ready for some rust prevention undercoat which will then be covered by some stonechip before being painetd body colour.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Whilst the filler was out I repaired the dent in the roof following the un-scheduled exit from the spit!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Whilst I was at it, I welded in the aerial hole at the front and found a mass of filler.

Posted Image

I ground it back expecting to see a dent but it was clean. I have no idea why so much filler had been put there.

Posted Image

Whilst on a roll with the welder, I also filled the redundant wiper holes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally for this update, remember the small hole at the top of the "A" pillar?

Posted Image

Not so small as it ran bioth sides of the seam. What a pain to fill with weld!. Still, solid now, just needs a bit of final shaping.

Posted Image

That's all for now. We're currently on with the sills and floor and doors. I will post some more updates shortly. Thanks for looking.

#27 sazal

sazal

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,512 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

Oooo, this looks like a nice little project and its coming along nicely :shy:

#28 backstreetclassics

backstreetclassics

Previously known as minidan07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local Club: essex mini club

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:17 PM

looks to be a good project keep up the good work

#29 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:02 PM

Great work, looks really good :w00t:

#30 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the kind words Guy's

Well it's now been decided, it's official - It's going on 10's!!

Still making the rest up as we go but definitely 10's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users