#1 rosco454

rosco454

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

Hi everyone,

I am considering the promotive conversion at the moment and would like to know if those who have done it would recommend it?

I have seen the performance figures/power to weight etc but i would like to know in the real world,what cars is it on a par with,what can it beat without trying and what would you struggle to keep up with.

Thanks in advance,Ross.

EDIT - Forgot to say,i will probably be using the 5JJ engine.

Edited by rosco454, 28 May 2009 - 08:16 PM.

#2 Basky

Basky

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

Hi everyone,

I am considering the promotive conversion at the moment and would like to know if those who have done it would recommend it?

I have seen the performance figures/power to weight etc but i would like to know in the real world,what cars is it on a par with,what can it beat without trying and what would you struggle to keep up with.

Thanks in advance,Ross.

EDIT - Forgot to say,i will probably be using the 5JJ engine.

Hey Rosco!

Well just a simple reply! Power is ace when rolling! pulling off aint pritty but when you have got used to it its a doddle! i woulndt want to do 1/4 mile more than a few times as you will knacker a clutch straight away or stall LOL. everyday driving you will take most things on the road its just the roads condition that needs to be thought about! if its smooth tarmac & windy roads itl keep up with anything on the road or nothing will keep up with u! there is a fair bit of tourque steer but thats the fun part!!! :-

I dont no much about 5jj i have 5pw engine running at 175 on a bench..

Personaly i would go dwn to see the boys & have a test drive! if you shove a grand in phills hand he let you have a burn in one with darren!

PS i love myn & wouldnt look back! but dont think you wont have to maintaine it! its like baby! bla bla yakadee mackadee

If you want to no anything else just ask!

#3 rosco454

rosco454

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the fast reply Basky.

Everything i read about them convinces me more and more to go for it.I had planned to go and see the lads in person and have a good look at one/have a test drive if possible.

I suppose the maintenance and pulling away issues are really par for the course with this type of conversion so i had expected both to crop up.The torque steer will keep me on my toes anyway :-

Did you wire the 5PW in yourself or did you buy a converted loom?

I read your project thread over the weekend and youve made a lovely job of it.

#4 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:11 PM

I am Number 025 and i am using a 5JJ with carbs. when i have killed that engine, i might step up the ladder to more power "lets get this one going first",

AND the boys at promotive are GREAT and the work is good so no worries on that front.

Edited by Rosslin Racing, 28 May 2009 - 09:12 PM.

#5 rosco454

rosco454

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:19 PM

Thanks Rosslin,reassuring good to hear theres no worries with promotive.Puts the mind at rest.

How do you all find the car handles with it having a bit less weight at the front? Or is the difference not that noticeable?

#6 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Rosslin,reassuring good to hear theres no worries with promotive.Puts the mind at rest.

How do you all find the car handles with it having a bit less weight at the front? Or is the difference not that noticeable?

not that far, the handling bit still on the cards.

#7 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:08 AM

I beat my buddies Mustang Mach 1 with a big block Ford in it (estimated 450BHP) in a stoplight drag race the other day...that was fun. I haven't instrumented the car yet, but it pulls harder than my stock '06 WRX STi does from say 20 to 80MPH or so. Basky is right about starting from a stop, but once it's going, and you can get traction, the car flies. My car has an '03 5PW engine.

Edited by Monte Busa, 30 May 2009 - 02:10 AM.

#8 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:11 PM

I think of al the minis with Pro-Mos fitted mine is without a doubt the heaviest, but still holds her own.
I don really go in for trafiic light racing - much :dontgetit: - but she keeps surprising me by what she can keep up with on the sprint:

Civic Type R - faster on sprint
Seat Leon Tyoe R - way faster to 60 / 70 - caught up and sprinted past me at higher speeds
lotus exige - kept on his tail but struggled in matching initial accelration ( from standing start )
Hyabusa Z - got faster 1/4 mile time out in Holland - we were both pretty gentle though to be honest
Focus ST 300 ( yes thats not a typo - grahamme goode conversion I think) left me for dead in all gears
Golf GTI - it was like he started going backwards :)
ST 200 - blitzed him
Pug 306 GTI6 - I hate these and I'm plased to say they are no match at all.
supercharged 1293 A series - equally matched in 1st and 2nd gear - leave him standing with acceleration from 50-90 in 3rd / 4th gear

I'm sure basky's, alex's in its old guise, the pro-mo demonstrator, and the 2 clubmans must be even quicker than mine.

Torque steer in mine isnt that bad - maybe its the extra weight we're pulling? :)

#9 rosco454

rosco454

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

Thanks roofless and monte,those were exactly the sort of comparisons i was after.

I think im pretty much convinced to go for it after hearing that.The standing start thing would be an issue with any decent power front wheel drive mini and im not big on top speeds anyway so it sounds the ideal conversion for what im after.I cant afford the zcars once youve added up the cost - i know the kit is just over 5k but realistically your looking at double that all in quite easily.

What extras did you guys go for? I think i will probably go for the converted wiring loom,the filter and the quaife diff.

#10 lotusv6seven

lotusv6seven

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:01 AM

Thanks roofless and monte,those were exactly the sort of comparisons i was after.

I think im pretty much convinced to go for it after hearing that.The standing start thing would be an issue with any decent power front wheel drive mini and im not big on top speeds anyway so it sounds the ideal conversion for what im after.I cant afford the zcars once youve added up the cost - i know the kit is just over 5k but realistically your looking at double that all in quite easily.

What extras did you guys go for? I think i will probably go for the converted wiring loom,the filter and the quaife diff.

Quaife diff or whatever LSD which fit in is absolutely mandatory...

#11 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

Get phil to do the loom - saves loadsa time and head scratching, air box is excellent, and from what a lot of the other guys have said the diff upgrade is worth thinking about.

I've got to do some back peddling here now - I've always said that the factory clutch was fine, and sods law mine is slipping now - so maybe the barnet clutch upgrade is worth thinking about. My clutch has had some punishment, but its only done less than a 1000 miles.

#12 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

mine was fairly amusing... erm, quickest thing was a VX220 turbo, but it was a VX220 some guy had boosted the t1ts out of. And i kept up with that on a dual carrage way up to 110ish? was a giggle.

Barnett clutch is a must IMO, best thing i did to it, with the car spec springs and the kevlar plates.

Dont go for the ATB quaife, just go for a LSD (trax or whatever there called!)

Dont forget the scott oiler :crazy:

Have good fun with it buddy!

Al

#13 rosco454

rosco454

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:04 PM

Again thanks to everyone for the advice and comments.

I think i will go for the loom & airbox/filter from promotive.Diff maybe from another supplier if the ATB isnt essential,is there any reason to avoid the ATB?
Ive had a look at the scott oiler and will probably buy the touring model with the longer range.
Having read various builds it seems the barnett clutch is popular so will have a look into that,anyone recommend a good supplier?

Cant wait to get this off the ground but i have quite a bit of bodywork to do first.

#14 1stpromotive1275gt

1stpromotive1275gt

Mini Mad

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

With regard to performance, mine has done 15 second quarters with full road trim. Hoping that ill better that this year as ive fitted some lighter parts on the body to help. It kept up with sierra cosworths, bmw m3s and a few ex touring cars around brands hatch at a track day. In fact if i was a bit braver (or stupid depending on your view) I could have overtaken them.
i did not go for the lsd in any form as I did not feel it worth the money for me. And apparantly its harder to push backwards on steering lock which I do on my own when putting in my garage. But that down to personal preferance.

On the clutch side of things after fitting a barnett clutch with car springs and kevlar plates its a lot nicer to drive. And the clutch action is a lot more mini like. I got mine from fluke motorsport along with a sump baffle which depending on who you talk to is a must.

Ive got the airbox and scotoiler and am happy with both. One other thing you will need if running the r1 clocks is a speedo healer to correct the speedo.

One other thing ive done is fit some iridium spark plugs which are surposed to give more power etc.

Hope that helps.

Edited by 1stpromotive1275gt, 31 May 2009 - 10:25 PM.

#15 rosco454

rosco454

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

Yes that is helpful.

I take it the clutch action is awkward on a standard clutch,possibly down to the extra weight of the car?
For reversing i was going to contact promotive for details about the reverse kit.So if i can afford that then the diff issue would be ok for me.

Is yours the one in the videos on the promotive site? It sounds fantastic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users