11 replies to this topic

#1 emo-neo

emo-neo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:47 PM

hey im new to the forum and also to the world of mini's, my sister has just aquired a 1989 mary quant for £100.....but and it is a very big but, it needs alot of work, it needs 2 new wings a new front panel a new scuttle and some welding under the rear window, it may also need the doors replacing, i know it has some electrical problems but i have no worries in doing that. i was just wondering how bigger job this is and if the car was worth the money, and if anyone could give me any hints and tips.
cheers

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:58 PM

hello and welcome

yes do it and keep another mini alive :cheese:

#3 emo-neo

emo-neo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:23 PM

thats what i thought, but yet im still wondering how much work this is going to entail, has anyone had the same kinda work?

#4 emo-neo

emo-neo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:08 PM

can anyone offer anymore advice? please lol

#5 BabyBek

BabyBek

I love sheepies

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Local Club: TMF and South Wales Minis

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:12 PM

HI there and welcome..

I think its worth it!! Don't know how much it will cost u, but def more than the £100......i'm sure someone with a better idea will be along shortly!!

#6 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:33 PM

Hi emo-neo. The big question is how much of the work (eg welding) do you plan to do yourself? Lots of tmf-ers have projects on the go and you might find the advice you need if you do a search of past postings. Also some detailed pics would help identify the extent of the work needed. Good luck!

#7 emo-neo

emo-neo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:38 PM

well i myself have no previous welding experience, but do intend to learn very soon, i have friends and reletives that can weld and i can also do the mechanical and electrical side of things no problems. thanks for the advice

#8 emo-neo

emo-neo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:47 PM

oh and also how to i upload pics?

#9 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:08 PM

hi it sounds like our minis must be twins :lol:
mine also needs wings. front panel, and skuttle, ive got all the panels for mine it came to about 250 but i wanted genuine panels you could buy pattern to get the price down. i do all my own welding. and find the genuine panels are so much easier to fit

#10 emo-neo

emo-neo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:14 PM

whered u get your panels from? is it fairly easy to weld the panels?

#11 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:29 PM

got the wings off a mate, but the rest i got at MITP, but if you look in miniworld or minimag your find theres loads of places that do them.
yeh i find the panels not too bad to weld but ive been doing it for sometime now. best thing you could do is when you get the old ones off have a mess around and practice welding on them before you try on the car.
have you got the wings off yet? whats the door hinge panel like? all around the air vents?
oh and if you can afford it go for the full skuttle not just the corner panels, well thats my opinion for what its worth

#12 emo-neo

emo-neo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:33 PM

nope havent tried gettin off yet, what are they like to get off.
will go out tiomoz and buy some mags and have a look see lol
well the whole scuttle will need replacing as there is heavy corrosion under the windscreen, and as for the hinge panels they look solid as does round the air vents, its mainly outer bodywork corrosion luckily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users