#1 jamob

jamob

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:37 AM

Hi there,

I've been reading the forum for a while now so thought I'd let you know what I'm upto.

I've been building this on and off for the last 7 years and in that time its had a turbo engine, 1.6 8v and now this! (none have ever made it to the road before id change my mind!)

Its going to be a Mk1 lookalike, on with the door hinge conversion at the mo..nightmare!! (I'm going to round off the bottom of the door to make it more mk1 like...and make my life even harder!)

Anyway enough talk heres some pics as it is now....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any comments welcomed :)

#2 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

Looks good - looks like an Allspeed frame? What induction set-up are you using? Any chance of a photo looking straight down on the air filter/bulkhead clearance?

Cheers,

JR

#3 NudgerSS

NudgerSS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

They look like Jenvey/SBD individual throttle bodies to me. I'm doing a similar conversion but with twin bodies and have had to put quite a large bulkhead box in as you can see.

Posted Image

Your radiator is further over to the middle of the car than mine Jamob. Can you actually get to your dipstick? Ooh er missus :thumbsup:

Am I not correct in thinking that you've had this up and running at some point?

John

#4 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:16 PM

LOL! soon as i think '1.6 16v! no one else has got one on the road, itll be brilliant setup, and ill be different' someone else does it! the race is on jamob =p

lol, looks like brilliant project mate! love the wheels too! awsome!

cheers!

Al

#5 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:02 AM

Yeay, another one to get ideas off! :thumbsup:

#6 jamob

jamob

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

Yeah your right Nudger it is the SBD setup on there (I think you PMed me a while back about them or the exhaust manifold, can't emember now :thumbsup: ) To be honest your setup looks a lot better and less restrictive than mine but I wanted space for a brake servo setup, because my legs can't take it!

I'll take some pics on the weekend for you jayare, it is a tight fit against the bulkhead, its had a little shaping with a hammer :)

Haha that exactly what I thought when I started Alex! When I started the engine conversion about 4 years ago no one had done it not even Rob at Allspeed at that point and now i think it will be the last on the road!! Well saying that I have had a little blast down my "private road" and boy was it quick ;) That was before i started stripping it back down to do the bodywork.

Heres a pic as it was about a year and a half ago when it wass drivable...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 NudgerSS

NudgerSS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

Took me a while to pluck up the bottle to take the angle grinder to the bulkhead i can tell you! Needs a bit of strength putting back in along the back as there is a bit of flex in it.

Your throttle bodies should give you a bit more poke and better throttle response than mine i reckon.

Looking good though

John

#8 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:09 PM

yer you should get quite a bit of poke with those tooters on it! but im a sucker for jenvey dcoes =p so they had to go on =p! torques better with the tapered throttles too.

How did it feel on your 'legal' drive down a 'private' road?

Getting quite a gang of us now huh?!

small bore 16v all the way chaps! whos going to be the first to add boost? =p

one more thing... you have put metal cambelt idlers and a fixed tensioner on it yer? and what fuel system you using? pumps etc?

Cheers! Al

Edited by alexcrosse, 20 June 2009 - 12:10 PM.

#9 jamob

jamob

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:06 AM

yer you should get quite a bit of poke with those tooters on it! but im a sucker for jenvey dcoes =p so they had to go on =p! torques better with the tapered throttles too.

How did it feel on your 'legal' drive down a 'private' road?

Getting quite a gang of us now huh?!

small bore 16v all the way chaps! whos going to be the first to add boost? =p

one more thing... you have put metal cambelt idlers and a fixed tensioner on it yer? and what fuel system you using? pumps etc?

Cheers! Al

Yeh the drive was amazing..the engine was running rough as the SBD base map is pap but still felt like a rocket ship, especially because i had no windows or doors!!!

I already have a few plans up my sleve for a rear mounted turbo :D But to be honest i just need to get it finished as it is first, thats my problem i just keep on making more work for myself!

I havn't put the idlers and tensioner in yet thats to be done when i strip it all down when i'm painting the shell.

Just had a look at yours, looking very nice, wish mine was looking as good, def think you'll be on the road first :thumbsup:

Cheers

James

#10 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:50 AM

Time for a dumb question, what rad are you using?

I'm hoping to source one this weekend :(

#11 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

a very small one =p

im having some inlet manifold queries at the moment, all the ones on the internet are parallel flange, where as mine is lovely and upswept... gonna have a ring around me thinks!

just rang jenvey and they have never done an inlet manifold for a C16XE on dcoe flanges :S ffs! lol

Edited by alexcrosse, 27 June 2009 - 10:37 AM.

#12 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

You looked into the Dbilas inlets Al? I seem to remember they did one for DCOE type mounts.

#13 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:07 PM

they do there own inlet, then one for their own tiny little itbs i think, couldnt find anything else.

rang bogg bros up... :( plan B initiates on monday =p

#14 jamob

jamob

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:47 PM

Time for a dumb question, what rad are you using?

I'm hoping to source one this weekend :wub:

Yeh its a small one :D Its an Mpi rad but i'm not too sure how its gonna cope but the space is somewhat limited!! Was thinking of the hythe performance upgraded mpi rad or a special made alloy one (can't afford that at the mo tho :D )

It may well be ok, i've heard they are very good rads..time will tell i suppose.

Sorry Jayare still havn't got those pics for you yet, havn't forgoten tho.

Cheers

James

#15 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:54 PM

No rush - I'll still be using mine in A-series form for another couple of months!

JR

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users