4 replies to this topic

#1 vw_convert

vw_convert

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:58 PM

will they simply bolt on and im away or is it a full brake change?

#2 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:33 PM

Well that depends on what brakes you have at the front currently. If you have drum brakes then there should be no issue fitmentwise changing them over.

If you have 7.5"discs, again fitmentwise there should be no issue changing them over.

If you have the later type 8.4" setup, you're going to have to think twice. The cheapest method is to use 6 x 10 weller wheels, with a suitable shim, and "engineer" an amount off the calipers. Bluemini will tell you, he posted up a guide sometime back.
Alternatively you could use the kit from minispares, which retains your existing hubs IIRC, and provides everything else necessary to change to 7.5" discs.
Or go for a second hand 7.5" disc setup, if you can find a decent one for the price.
Finally you can get kits from the likes of KAD and minisport to fit four pot calipers over 7.9" (Machined 8.4") discs.

#3 civaco

civaco

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:37 PM

hi!!

Im interested in this topic too!!
I have -90 mini with the bigger frontdisks....
so Bluemini i guess we are just waiting for your answer :wink:

#4 minimadandproudofit

minimadandproudofit

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:54 PM

I can understand why you might want to do this...the mini handles better on 10 inch wheels (controversial or what!) but you swap one problem for another.....on 12 inch weels, the mini stops really well...with 8.4 inch discs. On a mini with ten inch wheels, stopping is a bit more of a problem. You need as a minimum 7.5 inch Cooper S discs, there are better disc arrangements which are 7.9 inch discs, and very expensive no matter which way you do it. You will need EBC green stuff pads, and also try racing brake fluid, which does not boil and helps avoid brake fade. So it's up to you, better handling, brakes need to be sorted, or not quite such good handling, but brakes that are probably superior at a lower cost....I speak as one who has ten inch wheels, took my mini round the Nurburgring no brake fade, with Coopers Discs, green stuff pads, a servo, and racing brake fluid. You need a strong right leg though!

#5 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:10 PM

I found the post

Unfortunately, the images are loong gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users