2 replies to this topic

#1 minisandfords

minisandfords

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:59 AM

'Ello. After about a year, I finally got hold of an unleaded cylinder head. Has anyone got any ideas as to what I can do to improve it (within reasonable budget) before fitting it?

Also, it's a metro one without a bypass hose, so would I be best to blank off the hose on the water pump, or shouldn't you drill the thermostat or something?

Cheers for any ideas

#2 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:32 PM

hmmm, depends what you fancy?

Simon at morspeed might be able to do some mods to it, but I'm not sure how much they cost....

I'd fit new valve stem oil seals as a matter of course, and maybe re-grind the valves to ensure they're fitting properly?

You could try using some emery gently on the ports just to make sure they're clean, but not smooth, and just generally make sure its in good nick...

I think its best to maybe invest in a high capacity water pump for a metro with the hose already blanked off, then drill some 3/16" holes (i think 6 is the right number) around the thermostat to ensure good water flow before the thermostat has opened. Alternatively fit a thermostat blanking sleeve, but it will take the engine longer to warm up either way.

#3 minisandfords

minisandfords

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:58 PM

Cheers Tom dude. How easy is it to grind the valves?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users