#31 DigDug.

DigDug.

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

Thanks Steve,

I had thought about sandblasting the subby's. I am not sure if there is anywhere local though. I think I will look into it, and find out prices etc. Thing is, I have spent a while stripping off the paint now. :thumbsup:

As for the white spirit, I have some in so I will give it a bash tonight. Cheers!

I imagine you've already painted them now, but what I did was remove all the rust/oil/flaking paint, spray primed them with etch primer ( 2 coats ) then sprayed them with hammerite black paint ( 3 coats )

Certainly a lot cheaper than £80 :P

#32 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

Thanks Steve,

I had thought about sandblasting the subby's. I am not sure if there is anywhere local though. I think I will look into it, and find out prices etc. Thing is, I have spent a while stripping off the paint now. :crazy:

As for the white spirit, I have some in so I will give it a bash tonight. Cheers!

I imagine you've already painted them now, but what I did was remove all the rust/oil/flaking paint, spray primed them with etch primer ( 2 coats ) then sprayed them with hammerite black paint ( 3 coats )

Certainly a lot cheaper than £80 =]

I am in the middle of painting them. I am using Silver Hammerite on bare metal. I stripped the subby's right down and cleaned them up, then brushed on the Hammerite (not before spilling a big puddle of it on the drive first! >_< ). Just got the rear subby to finish off now.

Here's a small update, not a lot to report really...

DSC01091.jpg

I (Borrowed) a matress from our spare room. The missus was well impressed.
DSC01094.jpg

The offending rust on the drivers floor panel. A new panel has been shipped and awaiting welding.
Image883.jpg

Most important brews in. Before any work is done! ;-) Note half painted subbys in background..
Image884.jpg

Me chopping up the floor ready for new panel!

Edited by Stupot_1982, 03 November 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#33 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

Finally got a bit of work done! Welder is being a slow ass though, keeps letting me down. He spent 2 hours doing the below, then nothing for three weeks :(

DSC01115.jpg

I had actually purchased a floor panel, which was sitting there waiting for him to weld it in, yet he decided to just patch up instead :wacko:
DSC01116.jpg

DSC01118.jpg

Not a bad job though methinks. Red-oxided these after they were done, because god knows when he will be back!

So in the meantime I decided to crack on with the subby's before they start rusting again too! Out came the shiny silver Hammerite and a brush and away I went. This is how they turned out, I'm very please with the result. They will be a nitemare to keep clean I realise;
Front
DSC01124.jpg

Back
DSC01120.jpg

DSC01125.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

DSC01127.jpg

What d'you guys think?

I am currently on with the radius arms, doing them in shiny black. Pics here soon! I have two sets if anyone is interested in a pair?

Edited by Stupot_1982, 03 November 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#34 PhilipGCaldwell

PhilipGCaldwell

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

oh dear the state of your subframe previous to the cleanup actually made me cringe *whince*, I have many happy memories of my subby in a similar state, you have don a sterling job, hope to see more soon chap.
Phil ;)

#35 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:14 PM

So a fair bit of welding has been done now, at long last. just the floor has been done up to now. It a lot worse than I first though. When Mable was bought, we thought it looked in fab condition on the body, but the more that get's welded, the more rust/holes are uncovered! :angry:

While the welder has been doing a good job, spending whole days on Mable, I have been purchasing goodies to do up the subby's. Got some poly rebound buffers and the other buffers (cant remember the name for them) and rear subby bolt kit with poly mounts, oh and these;

SDC10658-1.jpg
Below are a few pics of the welding progress...
DSC01299.jpg

A couple of patches gone in where subby bolts in.
Below passenger floor pan welded nicely. Outer sills on both sides have recently been changed, but whoever did it, did a very bad job on the welding.
DSC01300.jpg

Can't wait to get the floor painted up. I was going to spray etch prime it then brush paint on black hammerite, the a clear waxoyl over that. I have been steered to cover it in seam sealant, then shultz instead, is this a better way forward???

This is the extent of rust from the rear valance, and here's me thinking it just needed a patch;
DSC01305.jpg

DSC01306.jpg

Plate welded in under arch;
DSC01308.jpg

Subby mount points ground down;
DSC01310.jpg

And the welded new rear valance...
DSC01315.jpg :mrcool:

Pics of painted up rear bits coming soon..

Edited by Stupot_1982, 03 November 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#36 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

Another Studio 2! :D Great Progress there Stupot, what colour will be you be painting the shell once its finnished?

#37 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

Good question Midas, one I have been thinking about for a long time. I want it blue. I did want to do it 'Hot Magenta' as it is known. If you see any new fiesta's about, you will know what I mean. But then I saw it in the flesh and didn't like it. I need to have a flip through the standard mini blue's and pick one I fancy. I want a light blue perhaps.

#38 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

A couple more pics of items I have been painting. May need another thin coat yet, especially the camber brackets...
SDC10636.jpg

SDC10641.jpg

Below is a pic of shock mounts, where there was previously just a bit hole when I took out the shocks and mounts;
SDC10647.jpg

Does anyone know if this is an easy job? The pic below shows the passenger inner scuttle quarter, or lack of!! :rolleyes:

I have decided to get the fresh air vents welded up are the inner scuttles easy to weld in? Doesnt the outer scuttle/wings need to be taken off?
SDC10649.jpg

Edited by Stupot_1982, 03 November 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#39 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

In the past if thought about changing the colour of my Studio 2, to one colour in particular, Ford Imperial Blue, as found on the RS Focus's. Theres something about Nordic Blue though that is soo different to other colours, in different lights it can appear greyer/bluer than it is. When i get it resprayed at Easter, it will be staying Nordic Blue, but with change to a silver or black roof :thumbsup: , but theres still the possibilty it could be Imperial Blue :wub:

#40 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:39 PM

Wow I never though of that Ford blue. I do like it the more I look at it, will look sweet with some black alloys (wellers)? I was drawn more towards a lighter blue, but thats defo a consideration there! Not keen on the Nordic though, the blue is too dark for me. Might do an illustration in a bit to see what it looks like in Imperial Blue. I wonder how much the paint would be?! :wub:
Posted Image

I defo want to go with a two tone roof and arches though, but the only colour I can think of is black...

Edited by Stupot_1982, 07 November 2009 - 09:47 PM.

#41 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

mmm, that Blue looks nice :thumbsup: ,
minivanman has a project thread of his Mini which is in Imperial Blue, which wanted me to paint mine the same colour :)

Project Thread
:wub:

#42 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:16 PM

Guess theres no need to do a photoshoppy now..! That mini looks immense!

#43 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

Your welder guy can weld, but I'm a bit puzzled by some of his patches, there's 2 side by side on the floor where one big patch would have been less welding & I hope he hasn't made replacing the sills more work than it should be.

#44 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

Your welder guy can weld, but I'm a bit puzzled by some of his patches, there's 2 side by side on the floor where one big patch would have been less welding & I hope he hasn't made replacing the sills more work than it should be.

Are you talking about the ones on the drivers side? That was because some amateur :) decided to have a go at welding and welded a patch in, but then realised frankenstein could have done better. So cue the pro welder who cut the patch back out and put a new one in. He wanted to do that so I could see if I am happy for him to progress with the rest. It would be a shame for him to weld in a massive patch and for me to say it's crap, go away! He hasnt welded in those sills. They were replaced in the last couple of years, but whoever did them did a crap job on the welds.

#45 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hi Just a quick update on Mable. She's all welded up now apart from the inner scuttle quaters. I'm not sure if these actually need doing. Does anyone know if they are there for a reason, it doesn't look like it to me. Am I likely to have the front end fall off if I don't have them welded back up? The way she stands at the moment, there are NO inner scuttle panels, they have completely rotten through. Please help..

Pics coming later on rest of welding by the way

Welded;

Two big patches on drivers floor
One patch on passenger and all along the sills need re- seaming
Door steps had fist sized holes
2 foot plate gone in boot
Fresh air vents welded up
Outer Scuttle quarters welded up
New rear valance and inners
Rear subby mounts patched
Front shock mounts plated.

Total bill for weld £450, a bit different from £300 when we first looked it over! The welder has done a decent job though, and I'm sure I would have paid far more from a more commonly known welder/company.

Edited by Stupot_1982, 12 November 2009 - 04:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users