45 replies to this topic

#31 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

Plus this was made my smart performance. remember the malarkey with them? stick to minifins!

#32 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:07 PM

To get to the correct working temperature on a Mini, the disc brake would need to be around the size of a small motor-bike's front disc brake.

#33 minisprint

minisprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Local Club: GR8 minis

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:43 PM

Seen scooter calipers used X2 one for handbrake

#34 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:23 PM

I came across this conversion after someone posted a link to this chaps build thread on the MK1 forum.

He's using Nissin callipers from a Honda civic & Micra discs with custom brackets and spacers. Clicky

DSCF6030_zpsaxmdiy3j.jpg

DSCF5636_zps8s6esbz1.jpg

DSCF6799_zpsxtz88dmi.jpg

Edited by Tupers, 19 February 2017 - 09:24 PM.

#35 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:41 PM

Quite a few modern smaller cars still operate on rear drums out of the factory and they tend to have more powerful engines than what you'd get in a mini and more weight to stop.

#36 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:47 PM

Tbf there are people running huge amounts of power compared to when this argument about rear discs on a mini started in the 80s. Some of the sub 4 second 0-60 minis could probably make good use of them?

#37 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:27 AM

Tbf there are people running huge amounts of power compared to when this argument about rear discs on a mini started in the 80s. Some of the sub 4 second 0-60 minis could probably make good use of them?

True, But Toyata have the Tacome for sale with a 3.5l v6 and drums. Heft front brakes mind similar to what youd expect if you seriously upgraded the power of a mini.

#38 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:05 AM

How? Most of them have the regulators set to just about turn the rear brakes off. A locked brake gives no braking power.
Discs need heat to get them working. The rear brakes just don't really do enough work to get warm.

Reducing weight sure they can be lighter.

But with alloy back plates, hubs and the good old superfin drums you won't be far off that either.

#39 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:01 AM

I've done a couple of conversions. The standard brakes for what and where they are are quite adequate and that's not why I did mine.

My reasons were for a much lower maintenance brake set up, a reliable handbrake and something that didn't need a major rebuild after every creek crossing. I got ticks in all boxes.

#40 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:49 AM

I've done a couple of conversions. The standard brakes for what and where they are are quite adequate and that's not why I did mine.

My reasons were for a much lower maintenance brake set up, a reliable handbrake and something that didn't need a major rebuild after every creek crossing. I got ticks in all boxes.

Reliability is kinda what I was thinking with my post. I have never dealt with a "modern" drum brake, I understand they are self adjusting? How does this work? Is this something that could be implemented on a mini?

#41 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:13 AM

Reliability is kinda what I was thinking with my post. I have never dealt with a "modern" drum brake, I understand they are self adjusting? How does this work? Is this something that could be implemented on a mini?
It's a ratchet system. Very simple if you look into it. However, as most of us are under the car and service them often, it doesn't take five minutes to manually adjust.

Edited by Steve220, 20 February 2017 - 07:15 AM.

#42 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:19 PM

I can't understand why taking the rear brakes up is any kind of an issue. You simply do it every time you grease the rear trailing arms and check the tyre pressures. It takes about 30 seconds per side. You can't have an old classic and make it low maintenance.

#43 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:34 PM

I can't understand why taking the rear brakes up is any kind of an issue. You simply do it every time you grease the rear trailing arms and check the tyre pressures. It takes about 30 seconds per side. You can't have an old classic and make it low maintenance.

I didn't mean to offend and don't find it a real issue, however some people like to try and make improvements and engineer solutions. If someone wants to re-engineer the rear brakes but discs aren't viable due to temperatures etc then I just thought that modernising the drums to make them self adjusting may be an idea.

#44 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

On the Cortina GT's from late 1965 the self-adjusting rear brakes never worked well and the modification was to fit the earlier manually adjusted ones. It really is a simple job. I can take mine up during a rally without jacking the car up whilst waiting to start a special stage if necessary. The rear drums and pressure limiter valve is designed for the Mini and to cater for the amount of braking required on the rear. The handbrake works well and as there is so little braking done by the rears they are absolutely fine as they are. The only issue is the unsprung weight if racing and for this lightweight arms and alloy drums are available.

Changing the rear brakes is more than just machining up some nice-looking bits and bolting them on - they need to get to the correct temperature, apply the required braking effort, provide a handbrake capability and be reliable. What calculations have the vendors of these rear discs done? If they have, from whence did they get their base-line braking figures?

#45 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:01 PM

I was just thinking about this on my daily. Three sets of front pads to one set of rear pads.
And that is a sporty 1000kg modern supermini.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users