#1 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:42 PM

just started stripping the paint on my mini clubman and getting a bit confused on the best and fastest way of removing it, im also a bit worried of rust coming back on areas ive got rid of it, any advice or tools/materials to try?

any ideas would be grateful guys, very appreciated :teehee:

#2 bristolminimad

bristolminimad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Local Club: Swindon Mini AsoCiates

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:30 PM

if you are taking ALL the paint off, score the paint with a blade, then dab NITRO MORSE paint stripper on, leave paint to bubble then scrape paint off with scrapper, make sure you use relivent protective equipment (the paint stripper burns your skin) once your back to bare metal, cover the bare metal in ETCH primer, it will keep the rust at bay till you fuly repaint the car.

hope this helps

#3 minidude03

minidude03

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:16 PM

wen u say blade what do u mean, stanley knife of something shaper

#4 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:22 PM

that is just what i need thanks mate! about rust areas though if its just slight surface what rust treatment should i use to fully know its gone, i keep worrying a year down the line after respraying it that it will come back to haunt me :fear:

#5 bristolminimad

bristolminimad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Local Club: Swindon Mini AsoCiates

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:43 PM

an old stanley knife blade will do the job.

we use KRUST rust treatment, it's available in most car accesories shops, it's around £3 and is enough to cover 2 metrers square. don't forget to get as much of the rust out before you use this, the less rust there the less rust that could come back through.

hope this helps

#6 wobblybob

wobblybob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:57 PM

im in the same situation at the mo but not stripping all the paint off as its white im sanding it smooth so theres no gloss or inperfections, as the shell is now rust free and not a great deal of bare metal should i just sand the hole car with a certain grit of...?? and spary the bare metal areas or should i do the whole car as im gona be spraying the whole car in red/white roof in a month or two anyway??
what paper should i use before/after primer
and types makes of spray best to use??
so any different prep need to be done to filler before primer??
hope u can help :grin:

#7 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:40 AM

right ive bought nitro morse and its great its doing the job, just done the boot lid

i also bought some zinc primer and using it as a sort of defence for the metal for now, just to ask though is zinc primer ok to use and then sand down and get prepped on top with 2 pack primer at a garage, im getting it sprayed privately but just wondering if zinc primeris suiotable enough to put onto the metal, then let the garage smooth and cover onward, again very pleased with the nitro morse stuff, just gota be careful not to breath in the fumes so much when i use it :) :)

#8 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:39 PM

If you are using nitromores make sure to wear gloves and remove them before going for a pee , that stuff realy burns espesialy on tender parts of the body :)
as i found out !

#9 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 05:25 PM

lol :) the ''marigolds' i was wearing seemed to start bubbling, so that sounds worrying :nugget:

#10 Adrenaline Junkie

Adrenaline Junkie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 04:47 PM

Where the rust bubbles are, did you just sand them straight down, and with what?

#11 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:21 PM

A bloke just posted up in projects with a link to www.frost.co.uk who do all restoration paint stuff. They do a primer containing a lot of zinc which would be better than standard stuff as it'll give higher protection to rust, they also do loads of other stuff that i'm browsing through now.

#12 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:29 PM

Hey mate

If the metal is good once it is exposed hit it with por15
it is about 10 quid of the frost site i posted..
it gives the metal a zinc coat and dissolves ant tiny rust particles which form within minutes of the metal being exposed.

When you primer the car remember primer is porous so it will absorb moisture from the air and kick start the rusting process under the primer

So try keep the car as dry as possible until it is painted

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users