259 replies to this topic

#226 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:39 AM

I'm half in half out of getting an IVA , making a rag top pickup out of std shell (non pick up)) - so monocoque modified somewhat

everything else standard

made rag tops before the rules - just engineers report & V5 change was required then

now have to jump thru a lot of hoops (with a 5mm radius)

Edited by sledgehammer, 01 November 2015 - 10:42 AM.

#227 StevenClarkuk

StevenClarkuk

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:51 AM

I have a 1994 1275 auto that I was going to convert to a mpi manual. So changing subframe, engine and gearbox, wiringloom, adding a clutch pedal, gear linkage plus changing front panel to suit an mpi.
I have already cut the front outer wings to fit 13" wheels and sp arches.
Do you think anything like this would raise any issues with vosa?

steven

Edited by StevenClarkuk, 15 November 2015 - 01:53 AM.

#228 Omz45

Omz45

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:20 PM

This question may have been answered previously so I apologise as I can't find it upon looking

I bought a 1970 Mini 1000 from the classifieds on here - brand new into Classic Mini's knowing nothing about them beforehand just that I loved them and always wished I had one

Car is great, needs tweaking etc but nothing I'm not happy to work on in my garage

So I read a post yesterday on how to identify if your mini is a MK3, which mine should be if it's a 1970 - I was only able to see one of the items on my car which leads me to think its a reshell

It also has a 1275 engine in it which is on the log book

The car has had many previous owners (18 lol) - I don't know for certain its a reshell - how would I make sure its not and be legal?

And if it is, what should I do? Call DVLA and tell them what? as i haven't done it myself

Thanks

Omar

#229 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:56 PM

have you any engine bay pic's ?

If done years ago correctly - it is probably legal anyway

if it is a MPI / SPI then there will be problems

there may be a chassis number stamped into the scuttle channel on the right hand side (from steering wheel)

#230 AGoaty

AGoaty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: 16v Mini forum

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

I still stand by my argument which started on page 8 of this topic. The car is 10 years old and exempt from the rules of IVA.

My Clubman Mini which was a round nose with Rover K series engine, MG F based subframe and suspension has never been questioned at MOT or by a policeman. O_O

#231 Omz45

Omz45

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:28 AM

I am planning to speak to the previous owner and get it sorted! :)

Edited by Omz45, 17 November 2015 - 07:19 PM.

#232 tweeter74

tweeter74

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:06 PM

Ok. Here is a question.

I buy V5 with someparts, or a ragged out shell MK1.

I buy a ABS motorsport Mini Sprint bodyshell, and shoehorn in whats left of the parts, likely change engine, the subframes and whatever else. Upgrade brakes, suspension and even lights... fit a rollcage, and then what would I need to do?

Do I need to IVA as basically its a new car... or just add in changes on a V5... and tell insurance?

#233 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,031 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

This question may have been answered previously so I apologise as I can't find it upon looking

I bought a 1970 Mini 1000 from the classifieds on here - brand new into Classic Mini's knowing nothing about them beforehand just that I loved them and always wished I had one

Car is great, needs tweaking etc but nothing I'm not happy to work on in my garage

So I read a post yesterday on how to identify if your mini is a MK3, which mine should be if it's a 1970 - I was only able to see one of the items on my car which leads me to think its a reshell

It also has a 1275 engine in it which is on the log book

The car has had many previous owners (18 lol) - I don't know for certain its a reshell - how would I make sure its not and be legal?

And if it is, what should I do? Call DVLA and tell them what? as i haven't done it myself

Thanks

Omar

Call DVLA and if they come and inspect it and find out that it's been re-shelled with a 2nd hand shell they will probably take it and crush it with no recompense to you. What a result that would be!

Best do nothing, just enjoy your classic Mini.

#234 Drew355

Drew355

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

I am a long term mini fan, but have also been doing kit cars for over 15 yrs so have seen sva then Iva come in and had to jump through the required hoops it brings. As far as I was aware the 10 year rule relates to cases where Iva is applied to imported vehicles I.e if the car has been on the road in its current state elsewhere for over 10yrs then when registering for uk roads, the Iva does not apply. If the car has already been registered in the UK and you modify the monocoque or the chassis away from the manufacturers spec then technically the car needs Iva.

#235 Drew355

Drew355

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

Dvla wont crush your car by the way. In the case of a reshell you haven't altered the monocoque but you would end up on a Q plate if you cant prove a percentage of the parts came from the same car as the shell.

#236 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,031 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:08 AM

To clarify things and hopefully simplify, or even over-simplify, the following applies to the classic Mini body-shells.

The Mk.1 & Mk.2 body-shells are virtually identical from a mechanical point of view. There is a slightly larger rear window in the Mk.2, but both have external door hinges, solidly mounted sub-frames, sliding windows and twin-bolt front sub-frame towers.

The Mk.3 has internal door hinges, wind-up windows, twin-bolt front sub-frame towers, doors with squared off bottom lower front corners, larger side windows, different A-panel structure and different B-posts. There a re a lot more detail differences.

From the Mk.3 to the last of the Minis the shells are basically the same except that in around 1976 the front sub-frames were mounted on rubber mountings which meant a slightly different front panel, different exhaust pipe tunnel and large single-bolt front sub-frame tower bolts.

So long as the shell has internal door hinges it is not worth worrying about as any small differences can be sorted out easily if you wish to. Visually they look virtually the same except for the gutter rail on the Mk.3 which is a slightly different construction.

Because Mk.3 cars are all now over 40 years old, anything could have been done and it is not worth asking the DVLA as they won't know and probably won't care.

Just enjoy it for what it is. If you want more info ask a real Mini enthusiast to come & have a good look at your car privately.

#237 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

https://www.gov.uk/g...p-to-get-a-pass

just found this , quick question ...

my mini vin plate has place for axle weight , but no info stamped in it

name of manufacturer - ok
approval number and/or build stage (if applicable)                      -ok
VIN                                                                                      -ok
maximum permitted laden mass of vehicle                                - blank
maximum train weight (if applicable)                                        -n/a
maximum laden mass for each axle in order from front to rear    - blank

the article seems to require axle weight ? both F & R (would be same as normal mini - anyone know ?)

also noticed GPS speedo not allowed , or bike style either , doubt my speedo is accurate

pipe lagging not allowed behind dash either (would have been ideal)

Edited by sledgehammer, 27 February 2016 - 11:26 PM.

#238 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,401 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:53 AM

I think weights were really for commercials, as they were taxed by it. If you do need figures they should be much the same for any Mini as they mostly have the same springs & running gear.

As a slight aside, insurance premiums on vans, like transits, vary quite a bit on weight, usually the only difference is the springs.

#239 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:32 PM

The GPS speedo is not legal on any car, whether it needs an IVA or not, but I am extremely puzzled by the ban on bike speedos. What is lacking about one of them? Don't they display speed and record mileage? If mounted ahead of the steering wheel, or a short distance outside it, in the protected zone, instruments don't even need to meet edge radius and other safety requirements. If using a bike engine (bad idea in my opinion, completely unsuitable torque curve for a start, but people do it), surely you would start by fitting the bike instruments in the protected zone?

I find the lack of consistency of utterances from VOSA, or whatever they are called this week, is thoroughly depressing.

#240 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:42 AM

I'm doing the pedals at the moment , (moved slightly due to different steering column)

I want to put steel 4mm checker plate , as a pedal surface & a bit bigger , wide plug welded to original pedal 4 or 6  places - just the clutch & brake

as the rubbers fall off even if glued with contact glue - always did on every mini I have had !

also I wear steel toe cap boots a lot , so bigger pedals will be easier to drive

the throttle will stay the same , and is over to the right & lower - away from brake (don't want to hit throttle when braking)

the checker plate is very non slip

will this pass an BIVA - or what ever it is called this week 

Edited by sledgehammer, 04 October 2016 - 11:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users