#1 minimotor_JD

minimotor_JD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:32 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm JD, studying automotive engineering at Coventry uni,I've had my mini since January 2008 and have enjoyed every single moment in it, we've been all over the UK from Wales,Norwich,London,Southampton,Coventry to name a few places.Its a late 1991 Rover Mini City E, standard 998 cc engine, the only thing that isnt standard is the interior styling, body kit and DTM exhaust. I have now decided to give it the much required love it deserves and do a full restore. Over the years it has had 7 previous owners. Yes 7 that correct !

In my time of owning it i've replaced several bits and bobs in the car, however have never really had the time or money as a student to do a full restore project, but now i can as i'm on a student placement in oxford which helps costs.

I'm going down the Miglia route as i've always been a huge fan of them plus i cant get enough of carbon fibre :thumbsup:, to be done in two phases, all the body work and electrics then the new engine build with a supercharger added upon completion(Vmaxscart)hopefully in time for L2B next year as i've never been before and would love to run it with my Mini mates :lol:. Phase 1 should hopefully be completed around January April/May no real rush as i'm a poor student.

My restore project is finally happening ;), so excited

I plan to replace the following panels: front panel,wings,a-panels,scuttle,door skins,floor panels,new carbon fibre boot lid,miglia wheel arches.
Electrical items- New chassis loom,dash loom & rear loom,replace glass fuses with blades,add alarm as the electrics currently in the car are pants! doggy wiring everywhere :thumbsup:

So here this is what the car currently looked like before i started stripping most of it down. Rust spots on the scuttle area, under the headlight on the front end,although it was in good condition, felt that i may as well do it all.

Attached File  S8001960.JPG   788.95K   58 downloads

The car is off the road and now i've started stripping the interior and removing the body kit and found that the rust was alot worst that i imaged.

Attached File  S8000455.JPG   2.01MB   31 downloadsAttached File  S8000457.JPG   1.96MB   22 downloads
Attached File  S8000460.1.JPG   1.93MB   17 downloadsAttached File  S8000458.JPG   1.95MB   28 downloads
Attached File  S8000472.JPG   1.95MB   20 downloadsAttached File  S8000463.JPG   1.95MB   13 downloads
Attached File  S8000456.JPG   1.93MB   21 downloads

I've had two weeks off from placement and in that time i've taken alot off the car, as the above pictures show i've taken the zeemax body kit off, the boot lid, stripped most of the interior and the sound deading, will be using second skin as new proofing when the time is right.

I've ordered the new boot lid and arches from arc angels (due to arrive thursday, my kind next door will collect them as no-one is at my mums), getting a custom loom made up from autosparks and currently waiting to hear back from Moss Europe regarding my large panel order as they are close to my mums address in london. I got back home to work on the car most weekends so expect updates most sunday nights :D

Going to be putting some big orders at minispares and minisport soon so look out for updates on part ordering.

Thanks guys =]

Edited by minimotor_JD, 07 February 2010 - 07:54 PM.

#2 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:41 PM

:) I'll be keeping an eye on this JD :P

Any idea for a colour scheme and are you putting the zeemax kit back on, going for chrome bumpers or deseaming it?

James ;D

#3 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

Hi..An engineer with a supercharger and a mini WOOOOOOOOO and I will keep a eye as well ;D keep up the good work.......... :)

#4 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:20 PM

Sounds cool! :dontgetit:

#5 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

hi i know this is off topic but im 16 and thinking about future courses and routes i should take and was wondering if you could give me an insight to whether automotive engineering at coventry uni is any good/worth it :) cheers also good luck on your project!

Edited by miniQ, 20 August 2009 - 09:52 PM.

#6 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:20 AM

Hi JD

Snap!

Mine's a 1991 "J" City E also.

You're right about the rust, there's always more than you thought.

I have used MOSS also for my panels. Great service and the 10% off for TMF really helps. I live near to the Stockport branch and quite often see Oz's (Matrix) supercharged mini outside. - Check his threads for info.

I'm a bit further on with the bodywork than you but if I can be of any help drop me a note.

My Project thread

Good luck

Steve

#7 monster_mini

monster_mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:25 AM

i have a j reg 1991 mini city E too :) and im 16 :dontgetit:

nick

#8 minimotor_JD

minimotor_JD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

miniQ- I started at coventry from the foundation year in engineering and have been their 3 years (1 year foundation 2 years degree, now on placement). I choice coventry as it well know for it engineering and i dont think i've been disappointed one bit, i would say that it has one of the best lecturers i've ever learn from in solid mechanics.

Not only that but they're building a new engineering building (to have an engineering support centre for coursework) next to the library due to open next september (2010), its annoying as the current students there with james962 and rich1889 dont get to benefit fully as its there final year. I do think i'm very lucky to get a placement, we all applied around november time straight until the end of the year in june most of us had no luck as the companies just say no due to the current climate.

No lie, someone once told me that there is something about a west midlands engineer and how they think that employers like. I guest that has worked for me, but its also a hell of load of hard work, sleepless nights and constant stress. I'm not the smartest person *holds hands up*, i just work hard,well i think. The student life in cov is fun, plus there is a newly formed CV1 MINIS which i've heard is AWESOME ! ( http://www.theminifo...p?showforum=186 )

Hope it helps

Nice one nick, do you plan to do anything to it?

Edited by minimotor_JD, 21 August 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#9 rich1889

rich1889

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Local Club:

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

dude good rust! lol

yea come cov there’s a great mini scene lol

im becoming a part time student next year working full time and part time job so the mini reservation race begins lol

#10 minimotor_JD

minimotor_JD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

Hope everyone has had a good bank holiday weekend.

Back to business !, I went back home and picked up several panels for the mini, took a trip down to Moss Europe in Hanworth (quite near Heathrow airport). I didnt realise that the front panel already had a bumper mounting rail as i wanted to get that as well (silly me), luckily i spotted this and got a refund in the costs.

In total i got x2 new a-panels, x2 door skins, x2 front wings and a front panel from Terry White who was a legend getting all the parts in time for me.

Note: my mums funky African rug.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also received my new custom looms from autosparks :dontgetit:, (main with dash and a new rear loom)

Posted Image

Brown - Purple Permanently Live

White - Green Live only when Ignition on

Light Green/White - Light Green/Orange Live when Ignition On or in Accessory position.

Red - Red/Green Side and Tail Lamp circuit.

Replacing the glass box holder with a bladed holder with added extras :D

Posted Image

(I couldn't be bothered to take it out of the plastic, it all looks soo good)

I decided to clean up the boot, as i got my carbon fibre template from Nick at Carbon Weezel

Posted Image

So i removed the fuel tank (for sale, as i'm replacing it with a bigger capacity)

Posted Image

Below is just a brief view of what it'll look like, i need to cut off the fuel tank bracket on the left hand side so it'll be dead centre and flush with the floor. during my investigation at the rear of the valance of the mini, i found lots of rust spots and even a hole :ermm:

So i'll need to get a new rear valance), as the back end is going to be pretty much carbon fibre i'm going to go for that material.( nice and light at the back)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Hole size of a fifty pence piece.
Posted Image
More rust that just breaks off......

One thing that i was worried about was that i they're was no sign of my carbon fibre boot lid and miglia arches :D

I spoken to the staff at arc angles who are great and it was all sent out last Friday. (Hope the postman haven't got there hands on it, i do find that my postman is rather nice and helpful !

Won some MK3 door handles in black and quarter light openings for really cheap on ebay so am expected them this week.

Next up: big minispares order, big minisport order, CF boot floor, CF rear valance, (OBP pedal box is sooo tempting..hmmmm >_< ).

Silver will soon be taking shape :w00t:

Edited by minimotor_JD, 07 September 2009 - 07:07 PM.

#11 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

Nice one JD, liking the rug :dontgetit:

Did you get the door skins from Moss as well? Are they gen or non-gen? You will have to report back about how good a fit they are :w00t:

Keep up the work >_<

#12 minimotor_JD

minimotor_JD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:39 PM

All the panels that i got from Moss were gen, plus the TMF+ discount helps bring the price down. At first my card was declined as i had never made such a large purchase before, a quick call to the bank cleared the block and the rest was history >_<

Thanks for the encouragement buddy :dontgetit:

#13 Mini Basher

Mini Basher

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Foresters

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:54 PM

Just read through your thread, looks like you've got a nice little project on the go. The photo of the a panels shows 2 right hand front a panels or have you got one upside down????

Good luck with the project

Andy

#14 custodia

custodia

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:20 AM

Nice project there. Good to see another coventry student restoring a mini, a few more of us and they may start a course on it!!
Come to think of it i do recognise your mini, believe i saw it parked outside halls a few times.
keep up the good work.

T

#15 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:21 PM

Just sent that parcel 1st class, should be with you sometime Friday i would have thought ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users