#16 minimotor_JD

minimotor_JD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

Cheers buddy ;) mum is going be wondering why i've got so many parcels :geek:

My quarter light opening are in the post too.

Andy- I'm not too sure looking,i've zoomed in on the pics there is no indicator. I've got my invoice and it says x1 LH A-panel, x1 RH A-panel. Got me worried now :P , will check on over the weekend when i'm back home.

Edited by minimotor_JD, 02 September 2009 - 03:43 PM.

#17 minimotor_JD

minimotor_JD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:48 PM

Weekend Update-06/09/09:

Well i've been home for the weekend to work on the mini, not a big update. My new quarter light openings arrived, james 962 sent down some rear light units :) for me and i took my wheels off the mini. Also went down to moss europe in Hanworth again to swap one of the RHS A-panel for a LHS one as i picked two up.

Quarter Light opening-£5.50 ebay !
Posted Image
Rear Lights
Posted Image
Correct A Panels this time
Posted Image
Wheels Off
Posted Image
On Jacks
Posted Image Posted Image
Front Brakes
Posted Image
Rear Brakes
Posted Image

I'm shocked by the condition of the mini, I know i've had it for nearly two years and its due to have problems every now and then, but 7 previous owners and no one showed it a little bit of loving it seems. The brakes are wore down both front and rear, so i'll be replacing front and rear with more suitable ones.

Still waiting on my carbon fibre parts, should be too long now.

#18 Mini Basher

Mini Basher

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Foresters

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:47 PM

Glad to see you got your A panel sorted mate, looks like you got your work cut out with this one, I'll be watching out for your updates

Andy

#19 ScottyBoi

ScottyBoi

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:55 PM

Project looks good! :D Can't wait to see the end result! :-

#20 little_rarfy

little_rarfy

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

just looked at this project. im doing up a mk1, full rebuild and its took ages, all i can say is DONT GIVE UP. be worth it in the end. are you keeping 13's on or going for 10's??

#21 minimotor_JD

minimotor_JD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

Part 1:
I have been busy with my mini in the past week. I have managed to sell my old alloys with tyres and got some new alloys (but need tyres). I was back home in london to work on the mini, and took the engine out of silver which was awesome, will be taking it to the garage soon now as i cant weld or spray (new panels and a paint jobby).

So here are my new alloys (10x6 revolites)
Posted Image
Got them on ebay for £64, a bargin i think considering i'll be running them during the winter months, i have spoken to arc angels and they have confirmed that my carbon fibre bits will arrive at home on wednesday (parcelforce 48), so mum will be waiting a bit longer at home before to heads to work.

So this was the mini before me and my sisters husband got cracking on the mini :lol:.

Posted Image

I got started on all the simple stuff as he had 2 pick up more tools from his garage in watford.

So i took the carb off.
Posted Image
Very simple, just followed the haynes manual and the workshop manual (thanks waters :techsupport:, £1.20 on ebay)
Starter motor off !
Posted Image
Posted Image

The 70amp alternator from minispares works a treat :techsupport:
Posted Image
Think this was the heater hose i disconnected (correct me if i'm wrong)
Posted Image
Horn,lol
Posted Image

Breather hose
Posted Image
Dizz Shizzle
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Servo + hose and hose connection point
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Not sure why my why this picture was taking but i love it ;)
Posted Image

Brake master cylinder
Posted Image Posted Image

At this point my sisters husband arrived to help with the manpower on knocking out the steering tie-rod joint and swivel ball joint out. It took a fair few knocks from both of us but we managed it.......well he did :teehee:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 minimotor_JD

minimotor_JD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

Part 2:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next we knocked out the driveshafts with was fun, really should of drained the oil first, but you live and learn. We had several pots and buckets at hand to help.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Shockingly enough at this stage the engine crane hadnt been touched.....
Posted Image

It was getting dark so we wanted to get the engine out, but we missed one thing out (THE GEARLINKAGE COLLAR PIN!!!)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thats when the trouble started, it was frickkin madness !!! (and we did have a set of drift punches at hand too)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Having a play with the gears trying to see the best way to get the pin out......it wasnt moving at all.

After several goes of hitting it with a hammer we had a great idea, (bend the punch into place and force it out with power !

Posted Image
It was working too :lol:, a few moments later the pin came off and the collar felt to the ground with the rod gear stuff.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now we were on the home straight w00p w00p

Posted Image
Attached the engine crane in the morning (sunday)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Got enough clearance to remove the speedo cable.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 minimotor_JD

minimotor_JD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

Part 3:

Overview
Posted Image

Picture of me packing up the tools
Posted Image

I think i'm going to take it to the garage in the next two-three weeks for the welding. Hopefully when the start taking everything out i'll have enough money to order all the little bits and paint to get the garage to fit and spray.

Stay tuned for a carbon fibre update soon on the boot lid and wheel arches as well as.....hmmmm carbon fibre boot floor...... cant wait nick and ben ! wub.gif sideways.gif

JD

#24 nickwassa

nickwassa

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

Hey JD,

It's nick from cov (mech eng). Didn't realise you were on here. I bought myself a mini at the start of summer and hoping to put the project on here soon when I know the extent of the damage haha. How's your placment going? I started at Vauxhall about a month ago. Your project looks good, hope it's all back on the road for next year at uni and I will try and bring mine down.

Nick

#25 rich1889

rich1889

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Local Club:

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

good work Jd! not long now and ill get those seats from yea :lol:

#26 Mini Basher

Mini Basher

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Foresters

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

looking good, your doing a great job, you'll probably have yours finished before iI do at this rate

Andy

#27 minimotor_JD

minimotor_JD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

Awesome Nick, nice one on getting the placement, life here in oxford is fab, very different from coventry, lots of country roads and push-bikes. It'll be cool if you can get your project up and running too, hopefully my bodywork and electric will be done by Jan-Feb, not really in a real rush, plus money is an issue. Need to save and not spend all the money the binis give me.

Thinking about it rich, i think i'll call up the garage and get the mini taking to the garage for some welding when you come down to get the seats and door cards. I'll probably have to go down there again to drop off all the bits i get from minispares and minisport, as well as the carbon fibre bits :lol:, although i can do that myself. I'm up on saturday if you're around in cov?

Thanks andy, i hope so, just want it to be really good, before i get cracking on the engine next year, i really want to run in L2B and turn up 2 more events, plus theres CV1 Mini.

I still need to meet them.

Edited by minimotor_JD, 21 September 2009 - 08:24 PM.

#28 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

Good work JD :techsupport: Glad you got it out over the weekend. How long did you have the engine crane for?

You're Speedy Gonzáles on that rachet in one of the pictures in the first of todays update :techsupport:

I did lol when you mentioned about the oil and not draining it first ;) at least you know for next time :lol:

#29 minimotor_JD

minimotor_JD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:31 PM

Its been a while since i've last posted, i havent forgotten about the mini.

I haven't been back home for a bit as placement has been quite busy. I have a couple of pictures of the carbon fibre boot floor from carbon weezel. My other carbon fibre bits have FINALLY arrived at my mums, unfortunately i wont be back home for a bit so you guys can enjoy the new boot floor pan below. will get pictures of the boot lid and miglia arches a.s.a.p.

Posted Image

Posted Image

JD

#30 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:26 PM

Wow, that's gorgeous. How is it fixed into place? what are you doing with the battery?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users