#1 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 05:56 PM

Bloody hell!

jacked up the car today and looked at the sump and there's oil everywhere!

Any ideas where oil could be leaking onto the sump so that it collects on the left side of the car (right if looking from infront), and its about in the middle of the engine (i.e. not the diff at the back!). I don't think the car has dripped from there yet but there is definitely a drop collecting.

Secondly, I am thinking about ordering the gearbox linkage exit oil leak fix thing. Everyone says that it takes a few minutes to fit, but can somebody explain to me how this is done? It comes with a washer and a rubber boot, so doesn't the whole gear linkage have to come out of the engine? Is this really a few minutes worth of work?

Finally, can somebody outline step by step how to replace the diff oil seal? Reason I ask it because on my clubby (doesn't leak oil from there), when I took out the hub with driveshaft, there was a rubber boot at the end of the driveshaft and it looked like a diff seal. I always thought this shouldn't come out with the driveshaft!! And also I tried to remove one of the boots from my freebie 998 engine just to see what it's like and it had a metal ring around it retaining it, and no matter what I did with a screwdriver or whatever the thing wouldn't budge. I still wonder how they got that metal ring over the seal and onto the diff outdrive!

Thanks

#2 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 10:04 PM

The main places for oil leaks are diff seals, diff side cover gaskets and gear change seal.
Steam clean the engine road test and then look to see where its coming from.

The normal fix for leaky gear change seals is to fit 2 seals there is plenty of room for them.

It sounds like you have removed the drive shaft and left the Pot joint in place. If you are talking about the CV boot ( it about 75mm in diameter) then the steel ring needs to be cut off. To chenge the diff seal you then need to remove the pot joint, do this by tapping a wedge between the housing and the gearbox case.

It sounds like the best thing you can do is buy a workshop manual.

Siggy

#3 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 10:08 PM

PS I have psoted a msg for you on the general chat section.

Siggy

#4 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:55 AM

I have the manual :)

It doesn't describe well how to do quite a number of things :) Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users