mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:09 PM

Hi All
Ok, this is my 3rd Mini project, and 4th Mini in total. And yes, I am just 16... Long story! :)

I picked up a pickup beginning of this week. Shes a 1979 Austin 850, and has had a new front end (wings & front panel & a-panels), new floor pans and new outer sills. She's pretty much rust free :gimme:
Has had a complete respray in a Peugeot blue, which is really bright in the sun. Looks really good.

I need a name for it! Any suggestions would be great. Reg plate read YHU ***V Name now found. This is officially 'Dave the Pickup', brother to my other Mini 'Chas' :P

The plan now is to just rebuild it with my 1275 engine that was supposed to be going in both of my previous projects but never got there, and give her a new lease of life!

It's going to be my 1st road car, something a little bit different to most people :dontgetit:

Here's a few pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

She came with some magic boxes...
I've only got one at the moment, as the others are at a friends garage, but I like this one! It wasn't until today that I looked in it, but in there was a nearly new set of door rubbers (for a Mk3 unfortunately), a set of Mk1 door handles (aswell as the ones already on the car) so now have a spare set, and a set of nearly new sliding window catches. All is well so far! :) Can't wait to get the next few magic boxes :P :huh:

The only thing I've done to it so far is put the Superlights off my previous project on it. I was doing it just for a temporary measure, but actually quite like them. Am now thinking of keeping them and putting some of the standard spec Rover arches on it, just to cover the wheels up more. I'm thinking of having them sprayed gloss black, aswell as having the roof done black.
I've got all adjustable suspension going on it - bottom arms, tie bars, rear camber brackets, hi-los - so it'll be riding at a bit of a better height when done, not a 4x4 lookalike like it is now!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I hope you all like :)

Dan :)

Edited by mini-man-dan, 08 June 2010 - 11:50 AM.

#2 imaparana

imaparana

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

looks awsome always wanted a pickup

#3 1275 SPRITE

1275 SPRITE

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:20 PM

Nice looking project, hopefully this one will see the road...
PS Where did you get your trailer from please? I'm looking for something just like that :)

#4 Willcox

Willcox

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

trailer is home made it was for robins

dan how much did the pick up set you back?

#5 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

Took me amo to realise who that was then! :)
Yeah, was originally made for Reliant Robins, but them my mate added to it to allow for 4 wheels instead of 3!
And urm... enough let's say! Enough for me to have no money left :dontgetit:
You want any Mini bits? Come round and have a look at the Cluman I'm stripping at the mo... :huh:
Dan :)

Edited by digi-cars.piczo.com, 20 August 2009 - 08:51 PM.

#6 pickupapickup

pickupapickup

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

Go onnnnnn spill the beans, how much moolah did she cost? hah anyway good to see a fellow pick up owner, needless to say yours in a tad better condition then mine, that blue looks very niiiiice. As far as the spare handles go, is it just the outer handles or do you have the inner door release handle as well as im missing that wee bugger. Any other spares you wana give to the needy?

Edited by pickupapickup, 21 August 2009 - 02:33 PM.

#7 19rab82

19rab82

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Local Club: scottish mini

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

thats pritty smart,can i have it?

#8 Willcox

Willcox

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

what are you doing with the clubman? did you get the flinch panels welded in on it? i still need to see your dad about some windows later on when i need some

pick up looks good by the way

#9 Joethemojomower

Joethemojomower

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

i am sooooooooooo jealous :D

that will be lush when its done, what are the plans? engine wize? interior? wheels? arches? colouyr change?

tell tell tell!!!

#10 Joethemojomower

Joethemojomower

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

oh you already said what your plans are.

I dont read :]

#11 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

My Bro has decided to buy the Clubman rolling shell off me, so he's doing that one now. His plans are redtop conversion... he likes to dream :D
And the plans are:

1275 engine that I have sat in my garage. Had a insurance quote and is £1085 with an 850 or £1300 with a 1275, so am definately going for the 1275 for an extra £5 a week!

Interior, mainly black with some cream stitching bits n bobs. Cobra classics without headrests, black doorcards etc.

Put the centre binnacle thingy in with large speedo and 2 smaller dials, but am fabricating bracket for a round digi-dash to fit dead in the middle of the centre speedo, so will still look like the old skwl speedo but without the needle. Will have digital speedo reading and rev counter all in one then, and be a little bit unique!

Colour is staying the same

Got some Gp5 arches, and am looking at putting 10x6 Ultralights on it in silver. Got to sort out brakes first though, Has 8.4 discs on the front, but apparently there's an article in the new MiniWorld about spacers that can be used to make 10x6 wheels fit over 8.4 discs. Will be looking at that!

Want arches and roof black.

Got adjustable suspension, bottom arms, tie rods and rear camber brackets, so she'll be running nice and true. Oh, and low :wacko:

Mk1 grille on the front, chome bumper with chrome overiders.

Hopefully it'll be a tidy car when it's finished, and I'm fussy so will be done well! You don't see many pickups anymore, especially ones used as everyday cars...

Thanks
Dan :thumbsup:

Oh and the doorhandles on the car aren't fantastic and the ones in one of the Magic Boxes is quite good. Am yet to find one with a key though, only a passenger exterior at the moment! Will let you know if I get any extras with it :thumbsup:
And if anyone knows of someone with a Pikcup flap down rear numberplate holder, please let me know. I don;t know if there's one in with the other bits I'm yet to get, but if there's not I'd like to put one on as I think they look nicer than attaching it straight to the car

Edited by digi-cars.piczo.com, 21 August 2009 - 10:15 PM.

#12 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

Looks cool Dan!

#13 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:41 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to say I found the original jack in it's original bag in my Magic Box! :D It's the one that goes into the hole in the sill. Although I wouldn't trust it, it's kinda cool to have with the car/truck/van/whatever you call it :thumbsup:

#14 Littlegizmos

Littlegizmos

previously known as M1N1 MAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Local Club: www.littlegizmos.co.uk

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:19 AM

looking good :D)

#15 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

Have pretty much decided on 10x6 Ultralights in silver, just need to sort the brakes out so they fit! Will be building up a front subframe out of the car then slotting it in, so I can keep it rolling for as long as possible. Got all my adjustable bottom arms and tie rods, and some hi-los. The slot it in with some nice new polybushes and to top it off a set of adjustable shocks.
:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users