Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:50 PM

Hey

I recently did a full rebuild and restoration on my Clubby, and went down the 're-spray it myself' route.

Anyway, it didn't work particularly well, it looks ok from a distance, but get close up and its a bit dodgy.

Soooo, I've decided I want it spraying properly, in a decent paint, in exactly the same colours.

The car has NO rust at all. Would it require rubbing back down to the primer, or even bare metal? Would two-pack or similar react with the acrylic/enamel paint thats on there now?

And roughly how much would I be looking at, if I stripped the car (lights, glass, chrome, arches etc), and trailered the car to the paintshop?

I want a good quality paintjob, one that I can be proud of, to match the rest of the car :grin:

thanks in advance!

Tom

#2 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:12 AM

about £600 :wales:
but its a bit of a trailer ride :lol:

#3 moanmini

moanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:52 AM

am off to a shop today to get my final price for spraying think 1400ish plus i get DISCOUNT....lol...but we are paying for it to be very smooth theres smooth and theres a fine smooth......all depends on how much you want to pay....but you could get a ok job for 600.....all up to you.... :lol:

#4 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:09 AM

well the car has been fully prepped, the primer was actually incredibly smooth, but for some reason the top coat just went pants. Its actually not bad on the side and rear panels, but the bonnet and bootlid are pretty poor.

And because we did it in the garage, the roof has quite a few dust spots, and is a bit rough (although has improved loads after a few coats of polish!).

Thanks for the estimates, I was thinking about the £600-£1000 mark.

:grin:

Tom

#5 moanmini

moanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:31 AM

sill me i must wear my specs.you have the car ready to be painted.....lol was abit early getting up today.......no 600 if no preping is needed is spot on but smooth what i mean is if you want a top finsh they resmooth the car until ur happy with it so theres no ripples in the paint....anyways like i said dependfs on ya paint to.hope it goes well :cheese:

#6 moanmini

moanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:27 PM

£1200 for the paint job in a moonstone effect....cheaper than i thought..... :lol:

#7 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 04:42 PM

am off to a shop today to get my final price for spraying think 1400ish plus i get DISCOUNT....lol...but we are paying for it to be very smooth theres smooth and theres a fine smooth......all depends on how much you want to pay....but you could get a ok job for 600.....all up to you.... :lol:

just because you pay more doesent nesserseraly mean you get a better job !

#8 moanmini

moanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 04:34 AM

very true woody :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users