#31 Robbie

Robbie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Local Club: Renegade Mini Fun Club!

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

I've been with FJ for 4 years now (Im 23) and they were the best option - £650 fully comp at 19 - now I only pay £330 fully comp.

The list of criteria above is only for internet quotes, there is a line underneath (or used to be) saying if you do not tick al the boxes give them a call.

With regards to them limiting your mileage, that is your choice, startng at a minmum of 1500 miles and going up in 1500 mile brackets up to 12000 miles but they do offer unlimited mileage also. I'd stay clear of only 1500 miles/year though as this costs more than 3000 miles in some casesas they see you not to be gainig much experince on the road.

Hope that helps.

J

Edit - spelling

Thanks for the clarification.

#32 Figs122uk

Figs122uk

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:32 PM

I think i would go with them till im 21yrs old, and then go onto something else to get my no claims up. Would be the cheapist option you think ?

Edited by Figs122uk, 25 August 2009 - 08:33 PM.

#33 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

I AM A SPOTTER (TMF LOGO SPOTTER)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

*Subscribes to thread*

Thanks for the info!

#34 Adcuz

Adcuz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

Random old thread resurection time!

Just sorted my policy out with them. I'm now paying less than half what I was for my old policy elsewhere! Despite the downside of there being no claims. That's with all mods declared, including an engine swap for larger 1275 engine at 18 years old!

#35 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

FJ seemed brilliant. My Dad phoned up and asked if they would mind quoting me on my Pickup for when I pass my test, as we wanted to know the price difference between keeping it as an 850 or putting a 1275 in it.
They were more than happy to do it, and aslong as I joined British Mini Club or whatever, it would be £1350 on my own, with the 1275, or £1080 with the 850cc, so the 1275 is sat in the garage ready to go in ;D

#36 skaterava

skaterava

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:04 AM

Just got a quote, £965 fully comp with a Stage 1 kit :D Thats pretty good.

#37 will.i.am

will.i.am

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Local Club: nay

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:31 PM

if its standard i found the best place is confused.com,I'm 23,no ncb (second car) fully comp £167.I phoned the insurnace company to make sure it was right.

#38 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

Hm, being only 19 i'm lucky to get a quote under a grand, especially with a Stage 1 kit going on soon. 3rd Party was only £480, it did tempt me but i don't want to risk it :D.

Just checked Comparethemarket (not for meerkats lol) and the cheapest i can get with the Stage 1 declared is £758 from Yes insurance, fully comp. But FJ gives breakdown and legal cover...

I can't BELIEVE that you have to declare pretty much everything (comparethemarket wants to know if you have decals, window tints, new bumpers, fog lights, if it's had a respray... tow bars?! for crying out loud!)

Edited by skaterava, 14 September 2009 - 12:54 PM.

#39 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

• Banned
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

mine is 534 tpf&t, i was 19 when i took that quote out, on a 1989 998 mayfair, the insurance is on thier classic policy, and my alloys didnt put the cost of the insurance up, as has been said, it seems to be just performance mods that put the price up

#40 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

im 17 , phoned up footman james and got a quote of about £700 tpft ,classic policy limited mileage

this is on a 998cc 1988 mini, totally standard on steel wheels,

i will be phoning them up soon to see the difference if i put alloys on it and sound system and then maybe see if i can do some old skool mini tuning which is

better exhaust, maybe twin carbs, better carb, sport filter, sporty brakes, sporty camshaft.

my advice is if your 17/18 just phone FJ up they are very good insurabce for classic minis.

#41 Rover_Mini_Cooper

Rover_Mini_Cooper

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Local Club: oldham & District.

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

Okay... NO YOU DONT GET NCB & Yes you are limited. thing is you can only get a quote by ringing up, mines a 95' 1275 cooper So it might be quite high lol

#42 dazzul

dazzul

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Local Club: BODGE SPEED RACING

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

Im with Footman James and they accepted my TMF+ number for a discount just tell them the mini forum online.

#43 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Local Club: i'll just stick with TMF

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:53 PM

one thing most people don't realise is that its cheaper to insure a standard 1275 than a 998 with a stage one plus you'll have better performance, i know its stupied but as soon as you say MODIFIED they bump it right up thats why late sprites n main stream coopers are a good buy for a first mini.

#44 callumatkinson

callumatkinson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

I've been looking for insurance for ages! it put me off trying to pass my test for a while untill i convinced my dad to help me out with it other wise i would never be able to afford the basic maintnence of my mini let alone petrol and all that inc insurance but i am so happy i have seen this thread!! literally made my day! :- :)
i hope they will insure me as it is quite a modified lil mini!!

#45 dominicmelton

dominicmelton

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:21 AM

footman james always seem to give good prices, in the vw scene as well.

I must say it seems mini's are a lot cheaper to insure than beetles! I may actually manage to keep my other car on the road too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users