28 replies to this topic

#1 AndyG mini 2.0

AndyG mini 2.0

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:15 PM

Looking to start a mini project i am about to buy a Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 litre 8valve engine and want to put it into my mini, will be a hell of a lot of work but will also make a very quick road mini, anyone got any advice or opinions or just want to chat about this project?????

Cheers Andy

#2 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:32 PM

A mate of mine has a 1.6 8valve Tigra powered mini. Compared to his 1293 S, it ent much faster just alot more smoother. I prefer his S as its alot more raw and the noise of it compared to a modern engine is like chalk & cheese. Sounds like hes got 5 million bhp in his S :lol:
Saying that, hes just finish a Vtec powered mini. He took me out in saturday and it is just MENTAL!!! Once the Vtec kicks in all hell breaks lets loose and before I new it we were doing a ton on a road that is no longer than a few hundred yards.
Thing is with the Vtec, is that you can use all the power. The 1.8 Vauxhall conversions just spin the wheels on the startline. Ok I spose if your in to that thing but if your looking for performane, reliability and just about everything you want in an engine go for the Vtec. You WILL be amazed.
Ive got a £100 bet with him that my Daihatsu Charade powered mini will beat him down the strip.

#3 AndyG mini 2.0

AndyG mini 2.0

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:45 PM

i first looked at a vtec, i know someone who has one and it is rapid but i'm also thinking of how much money i spend, and the cost of a decent vtec plus the short maintenence schedule is alot shorter than the vauxhaull, plus my lump is only costing me 200 and its just been reconed by one of my mates, but thanks for you opinion

#4 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:59 PM

Why an 8 valve engine? It wouldn't be much quicker then a decent 1380 or turbo..

16v xe on the other hand... :lol:

#5 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:54 PM

I was soooo close to buying a MOT failed Chavalier SRi 16V t'other day, was only £200 and was thinkin of breakin it and gettin a clubby.

Then I realised I got another Mini to finish first and aint got enough time for one project, never mind 2! :cry:

A 2.0L 8V would be interesting though, you could get a reliable torquey 130-140BHP from the engine with ease.

#6 mini_sam

mini_sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:58 PM

surely the most powerfull 2.0 out there is the Type R V-Tec, or a Clio 182 Sport engine? :erm:

i allways wonder why nobody has tried a Clio 2.0 conversion, those cars are sick, when they hit 5,500rpm, BANG...and your away!!

:cry:

just a thought! :cry:

#7 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:00 PM

2.0L type R engines cost an absolute mint second hand. I got a mate who's got an S2000 engine and box in his garage waiting to go in his kitcar (robin hood thing). But he spent a fortune on it.

#8 Vash

Vash

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:06 PM

Oldskoolbaby, is the vtec a 1.6 - 1.8 ??? been look at doing a 1.8 Integra type r conversion but the engines, if you can find one are about 2.5k!

#9 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:15 PM

Its was the 1.6. Ive spoke to a few people who work on rolling roads and Ive been told by a few that you can get more power from a 1.6 than you can from a 1.8. When my mate got his completly remapped (its running throttle bodies and Dta management system) the bloke at the rolling road asked what power would he like. Going above a 1.6Vtec in the front of a Mini is pointless. Every bhp of his car is usable. No wheel spin, just pure grip to the road and head to the rest driving.

#10 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:22 PM

Those Honda b16b engines (if I got the right code) are phenomenal. They are as tuneable as an A series and the Jap tuning firms sell some major pieces of kit for them.

165donkeys as standard aint it? they can get some crazy output though!

#11 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:29 PM

Ive seen 655bhp out of one of those :nugget: Now thats some serious tuning! :cry:

#12 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:31 PM

Is it Spoon that are one of the VTEC tuning gurus> And apexi for the VTEC controllers! Mad!

I think we robbed a thread here! :cry:

#13 mini_sam

mini_sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:32 PM

aye, Clio Williams engine, small and very powerfull aint they?

druels.... :cry:

Attached Files

#14 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:37 PM

Not really :cry: 1.8 XE Vs Clio Williams......Xe would win everytime.

This is what I call a powerful motor

Attached Files

#15 mini_sam

mini_sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:47 PM

would it beat this engine OSB? :cheese: :grin:

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic