64 replies to this topic

#16 minimininut

minimininut

Look Out For My Haynes Minature Engine Install Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

Ooooh, fingers crossed for you that it works out well - no one's commented on what I fab colour it is yet, so I will - great colour!!

Agree with comments re the guy selling it sounding reasonable and I'm always hearing that the shell is the most important thing on a mini because of the inconvenience and cost of welding

Cheers for keeping us all posted ;)

#17 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

New update. No longer purchasing the car due to some details.
Gutted but its for the best. Reeeealllly like the colour aswell, dont really want to end up with an ordinary colour but o well. Waiting for a guy in welshpool to ring about another one so the search continues. Has no MOT but is willing to negotiate as its sitting on his drive while hes at Uni and has another car.

thanks for all the replys aswell.

Will update when i get to the next stage of the rollercoaster which is buying a Mini

Removed pictures because i dont want to get in trouble with angry people trying to sell their cars lol

Edited by GTIAlex06, 02 September 2009 - 05:19 PM.

#18 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

No longer purchasing the car due to some details.

And they would be ...?
Blimey, this is turning into a quest! :D

#19 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:23 PM

No longer purchasing the car due to some details.

And they would be ...?
Blimey, this is turning into a quest! :D

I dont really want to say directly because i dont want to get into trouble but lets just say something came up at the last minute. Got the deposit back so all is fine.

Also anyone thats going to the British Mini Show on the weekend and has a Mini for sale/knows someone who does, please let me know. Budget is lets saaaaaaaay, £1500 but is prepared to pay more for gooduns. Im not paying over the ods just because its a Mini

Many thanks again...Alex

#20 greggy50

greggy50

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

Good luck with the search I too am from the brum area and are 17 and picked this little mini up for £1700 so they are some bargains about. Already started spending more on it since I brought it though lol :D
Posted Image

#21 Boycie

Boycie

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

:D

#22 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

Good luck with the search I too am from the brum area and are 17 and picked this little mini up for £1700 so they are some bargains about. Already started spending more on it since I brought it though lol :D
Posted Image

Looks a great find inside and out. Hows your insurance work out at on that then?

#23 greggy50

greggy50

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:19 PM

Posted Image

Looks a great find inside and out. Hows your insurance work out at on that then?

Well its not cheap I will say similar to what I paid for the car lool (well a tiny but more) but that is with mods declared but only a 998 stage 1 so aint cheap but is the joys of having a modded mini aged 17 that is not garaged lool :/

#24 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

The Hunt Continues.

After spending hours with a shocked face looking at insurance websites and trawling though Mini magzines and online classifieds , i feel a bit stuck.
It seems that the older the Mini, the cheaper it seems to be to insure but generally in a worse condition? Iv also found that any Mini with a metro engine is out the question. Aswell as 1275 minis.

Now as for finding a Mini in good nick for the budget i have, im finding it hard. Each one seems to be too far away or too rusty.
Starting to get a bit anoyyed with the whole thing now. Can anyone enlighten me on the cheapest Mini insurance companies?
Am i being unrealistic to try and buy a Mini on a budget which needs very little doing to it? Does anyone know the cheapest year/model of Mini to insure and ones to avoid. Obviously avoiding any non standard models

All help is great appreciated. Alex. ;)

#25 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,890 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

Have to tryed Adren Flux. IF you sign up to TMF+ you get I think its 15% off your quote.

#26 jay30

jay30

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

Welcome to TMF and good luck with the Mini hunt.

Gotta say that you are doing the right thing in waiting for the right car. As much as we all love these little things, there are a lot of very poor cars out there and they can easily become a financial black hole. Get a solid one and look after it and it'll run years.

Where abouts are you in the West Mids. Join up with a local owners club. There are a few about in the West Mids. I'm a member of the Black Country Minis Fun Club which is slowly growing in numbers. Most clubs get together on a regular basis and from that you'll be able to get help and advice on you car and any problems you might encounter. Plus most clubs have organised runs to the shows throughout the year so you don't have to go along, again great when scouring the trade stalls when you have some advice and knowledge to hand.

I know there is a Club in Halesowen and another around Quinton, plus a branch of the Birmingham Owners Club too.

I do recommend you join a club close to you.

Black Country Minis will be heading out in convoy on Sunday morning to the Uttoxeter show. If you are interested we'll be meeting at the MacDonalds on the Oldbury island (Toys-r-us) from about 7:45 to 8:15 for breakfast before heading out.

Oh! and you dont have to own a Mini or have a running one. I'll be driving a Silver Toyota Avensis ;)( as mine aint MOT'd, Taxed or Insured yet :)

Good luck.

Jay

Edited by jay30, 04 September 2009 - 02:44 PM.

#27 tomedgar

tomedgar

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hi alex, I've got same problem as you 18 looking for a mini and also living in west midlands but just a little advice you can get insured on Direct Line with 1275 Rover's 90's+ such as a sprite, no chance with a cooper unless you want to pay an arm and a leg. Mines around £600 Fully comp under dad on a 998 engine and on 1275 its about £740 but finding the right car is the problem at the moment.

Anyhow good luck but might be worth checking it out.

#28 davetindall104

davetindall104

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

boys...

try bell.co.uk, and add both parents to your policy as second drivers, you'll be amazed.

I had the same problem insuring a polo gti when i was 17!!!!

not quite a mini but hey!

Cheers

#29 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

Hi alex, I've got same problem as you 18 looking for a mini and also living in west midlands but just a little advice you can get insured on Direct Line with 1275 Rover's 90's+ such as a sprite, no chance with a cooper unless you want to pay an arm and a leg. Mines around £600 Fully comp under dad on a 998 engine and on 1275 its about £740 but finding the right car is the problem at the moment.

Anyhow good luck but might be worth checking it out.

i got a quote for about 788 quid with his no claims protected and 663 with it not protected, so direct line doesnt seem to make much difference. Is it best to ring up and ask them or just use the online quote information because the questions they ask online seem limited?
Are those quotes you passed your test or still on provisional. Im looking for provisional quotes atm but i got my test on october 1st, hoping it wont go up until i renew.
Your guna have to talk me though it if ur getting quotes that cheap and uv passed your test lol!

Iv sent emails to about four Minis for sale in the area i found on Mini world so im just waiting for replys. Was hoping to get it sorted this week since im back at work on the saturday, Mini show on sunday then im back to college next week so progress is going to be slow.

Will happen eventually.

In reply to the Black Country Mini Fun Club, iv talked already to Lewis ( i think) Cooper who i believe is already a member and had a quick look at the website. id love one day to join you all on the IMM shows over seas.
If you see a silver Vw Passat at the show then its probly me with my dad. Dont hesitate to jot down the numbers of any Minis you see for sale there ;)

Edited by GTIAlex06, 04 September 2009 - 05:37 PM.

#30 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:27 PM

hehe i advise not getting a mini with a modified engine tho, mines bloody expensive to insure lol. Good luck looking tho. Try car and classic for minis that where i first looked ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users