21 replies to this topic

#1 pdnz

pdnz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

Hi all. This is my first post on my first mini project and hopefully not my last! My name is Terry and I have just purchased a '77 Austin metro 1275 A Plus engine.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I mount this to an engine stand? I have a universal heavy duty stand but what I need to know is where on the engine do I mount the stand to it? Which holes do I use?

Because this is something very new to me I would truly appreciate as much help and as much description as possible.

Thanks in advance people!

#2 oc1sup

oc1sup

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

I've seen there's two ways that you can attach the A-series to an engine stand; one needs you to make up a new plate for the stand, the other you may get away with using the 'universal' (ha, ha) plate that normally comes with the engine stand.

You use the either the petrol pump bolt holes to attach the engine to the stand plate (I understand this is the weaker place to attach to as the metal is thinner here, but it's where it's attached on the mini engine rebuild video I have so it's not that bad!), or the distributor and oil filter bolt holes which is the stronger fitting point, but needs a plate made up to fit your stand.

I'm in the process of making the latter for my Clarke stand but off hand I can't remember if the measurements I have are for an A, or A+ engine (I've one of each to rebuild....). When I get home I'll take a look and update you. The diagram I made up is in Visio format, but I must be able to make it visible in word to send you if you want it.

#3 oc1sup

oc1sup

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:11 PM

I forgot to say that I had found a number of queries like this on the forum when I was looking for the same thing, but for the life of me I can't find them again now!! Just my ineptitude with the search criteria I think....

#4 oc1sup

oc1sup

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

The measurements I have now are for an A-series engine, sorry. Once I dig out the A+ I'll sort out the slightly different ones, but it may take a few days as I'm busy this weekend. Menawhile, maybe someone else has them for an A+.

#5 01smartc

01smartc

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

A normal engine stand will fit using the oil filter holes. You just need to pack it out with a few washers to clear the casting.

If its the same as most, use the bottom right hand slot.

Chris @ Smart Performance

#6 partsguy1

partsguy1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

You can also make an adapter that mounts to the Alternator Bracket mounting point, this has worked for me.

#7 pdnz

pdnz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:57 PM

Thanks all for all your helpful advice! I think the easiest option for me (not that I'm being lazy) would be to use the alternator mounting bracket. I have read up a lot and this seems to be the most common method as well so I am going to assume that just those two bolts will hold the engine up on the stand. If there is more than 1 bolt could someone please let me know as it means I have missed something very obvious. I think my stand might even be able to fit without making a bracket or anything so il have a look at it.

If anyone sees any flaws in my logic above could you please let me know??

Again, Thanks so much for all the help and so quickly as well!!

#8 pdnz

pdnz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

Thanks all for all your helpful advice! I think the easiest option for me (not that I'm being lazy) would be to use the alternator mounting bracket. I have read up a lot and this seems to be the most common method as well so I am going to assume that just those two bolts will hold the engine up on the stand. If there is more than 1 bolt could someone please let me know as it means I have missed something very obvious. I think my stand might even be able to fit without making a bracket or anything so il have a look at it.

If anyone sees any flaws in my logic above could you please let me know??

Again, Thanks so much for all the help and so quickly as well!!

So my idea didn't work out like I had hoped it would. I guess I'm going to have to fabricate a bracket. Could someone please post a diagram for the bracket. Have seen posts in another forum on this site but the attachments were no longer working so is of no help to me.

Just to clarify, the bracket I am talking about is the one that lets you mount the engine to any conventional engine stand using the two alternator mounting holes.

Thanks guys!

#9 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

It always amazes me how such a big lump of heavy metal can be supported by a couple bolts so close together.

Not a very helpful post, but a free bump none the less...

#10 Craig Tett

Craig Tett

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:33 PM

I made up a bracket and attached it to the oil filter bolts holes and the alternator bracket holes. Was pretty solid. Needed to pack it out with a few washer but nothing too serious.
You can sort of make it out from the picture. Don't know the measurements as I just guestimated.

Posted Image

The plate sat behind the normal stand bracket and basically allowed the alternator bracket hole to be used as well as didn't like the idea of using 2 bolts close to each other. Least it helps spread the load a bit.

#11 partsguy1

partsguy1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:36 PM

Something like this?

#12 Spitz

Spitz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:29 AM

Wow thanks for that Terrance. (partsguy)
I may put that to use myself.

by the way...not received payment yet...will it be forthcoming? Been about 9 months now.

Edited by Spitz, 07 September 2009 - 05:30 AM.

#13 iansmiler

iansmiler

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:39 PM

Looking for the images in this thread as I a, in need of mounting my engine too.... Anybody got any?  :tumble:

#14 Agus1601

Agus1601

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Local Club: La Tribu Mini

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:55 PM

Hi guys, need to mount my engine and have no access to pictures? Anybody help me?

Thanks in advance

#15 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:39 PM

20200331_200653_zps17qiosf0.jpg

This is what I did using the alternator bracket holes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users