rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Local Club: Minis of the Rockies, MINI5280

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:09 PM

Hi All,

I've been making some (very slow) progress on my Pro-Motive build but I've run into a problem that I was hoping someone on could help me with. For the life of me I cannot get the supplied exhaust anywhere close to being in position where I can bolt it on. There simply doesn't seem to be enough room between the frame and the differential housing to slide the exhaust tube between (it's right in the area of where the upside down "2" is on the attached picture. I spent probably a good two hours fiddling with it today and only managed to scuff up the exhaust wrap. Other than putting the exhaust in a vice to pinch it down some I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I can do to fix this problem. :D

Thanks,
Ryan

Posted Image

#2 Basky

Basky

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:21 PM

Hi All,

I've been making some (very slow) progress on my Pro-Motive build but I've run into a problem that I was hoping someone on could help me with. For the life of me I cannot get the supplied exhaust anywhere close to being in position where I can bolt it on. There simply doesn't seem to be enough room between the frame and the differential housing to slide the exhaust tube between (it's right in the area of where the upside down "2" is on the attached picture. I spent probably a good two hours fiddling with it today and only managed to scuff up the exhaust wrap. Other than putting the exhaust in a vice to pinch it down some I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I can do to fix this problem. :-

Thanks,
Ryan

Posted Image

Hi matey take a few more picys from the other side & il help you out! i have fitted 4 & they are BASTURDS! They wil be close mate rely close but make sure your engine is loose from the frame bar the front bottom bolt it will help.. then pinch them tight PS make sure you buy good gaskets! u dont want to be doing this twice!! LOL

A bit more fiddling and you will be sorted! :D

#3 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

everything has to be very loose, it is also easier to have certain studs and put them in once the manifold is positioned, not the ones however that are behind pipe.

Its a horrific job, ive done a few, it just take patience and a good vocabulary of swear words

#4 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the response. I've packed everything up for the day but I'll make another run at it tomorrow and will snap a picture if I'm still stuck. I was hoping that someone wasn't going to suggest removing any of the frame bolts as it took me an hours and hours to get those in place. :D

Cheers,
Ryan

#5 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:48 PM

everything has to be very loose, it is also easier to have certain studs and put them in once the manifold is positioned, not the ones however that are behind pipe.

I had wondered about removing the studs but I wasn't sure how to get them out...

Seems like loosing things up is going to be the only way to get everything in which seems a bit strange to me since the last thing the instructions say to do before starting with the exhaust is to "fully tighten [the engine mounting bolts] using Loctite". :D

#6 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

aslong as you used blue loctite and not red studlock the bolts will come out alrite matey.

Despite instructions; EVERYTHING on a promotive rig has to be fully assembled loose before tightening all of the bolts.

Try getting the studs out and seeing how you get on. Just put two nuts on a stud, get two spanners and lock the nuts together (by turning opposite ways) then undo the stud.

Hope it helps mate,

Al

#7 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hey Alex - Removing the studs made getting the header on a much simpler process, thanks for tip.

#8 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:06 PM

I think Alex, Basky and Me should just fly out for the weekend, help out and sip some beers :)

anyone know of really cheap flights to the rockies?? :)

#9 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:36 PM

Hey Alex - Removing the studs made getting the header on a much simpler process, thanks for tip.

no problems at all mate, is it on then?

FIRE IT UP!!

Edited by alexcrosse, 08 September 2009 - 03:36 PM.

#10 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:21 PM

I think Alex, Basky and Me should just fly out for the weekend, help out and sip some beers :thumbsup:

anyone know of really cheap flights to the rockies?? :thumbsup:

Free room, board, transportation to/from the airport and as much as food and drink as you can stomach if you come out. :)

#11 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:25 PM

no problems at all mate, is it on then?

FIRE IT UP!!

It is on but I'm afraid I'm at a loss to even know what to do to get it started. :thumbsup:

If it isn't apparent by now I have no idea what I'm doing. But, I'm hoping by posting here I'll be able to keep chipping away at things and eventually I'll get the thing running. :thumbsup:

#12 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:25 PM

I think Alex, Basky and Me should just fly out for the weekend, help out and sip some beers :thumbsup:

anyone know of really cheap flights to the rockies?? :thumbsup:

Free room, board, transportation to/from the airport and as much as food and drink as you can stomach if you come out. :)

Can i just pop out with you guys for the hell of it?

#13 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

we will help any problems you have mate

also, dont forget how good phil and darren are, top blokes, always willing to help with any info you have

#14 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

I haven't spoken with Darren but Phil has been great about answering all of my questions.

I thought by posting here (especially on the weekends) I might get a slightly quicker response and also that if anyone else has similar questions in the future they could learn from my fumbling. >_<

#15 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

To be honest, the best time to post to get answers is during the week - most of us are at shows almost every weekend at the moment. >_<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users