Dhiralj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: Sintraminis

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:43 PM

Hi guys,

I'm from Portugal and looking into an engine swap for my Mini this winter.

It'll be for a round nose 1969 mini van 850cc so I was more inclinded to the Promotive R1 conversion rather than the watsons vtec as I dont need to extend the mini.

Regarding the R1 conversion, I have some question and would like to know your views:

How hard is it to do with the promotive kit and loom?

Is the performance everything it seems to be?

Which is faster and easier to use, vtec or R1 power?

Who can supply the electric reverse?

Most important, how quiet and discrete can it be made?

I need it to keep sounding like a 'normal' car, at least in low revs, as it is not legal to do these kind of modifications here in Portugal.

If it can be discrete, it's not very normal to have an issue with the cops but if it sound to powerfull they might ask.

The mot guys are my friends so we can always find a way around that.

Thanks,

Dhiral

#2 miniman retford

miniman retford

Most Definitely Not Beer Powered....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • Local Club: Lincs ford group

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

Should find all your answers here http://www.theminifo...showtopic=52853 ! :)

#3 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

quite easy if you have a good basic mechanical skill level.

yes.

Vtec can be made more powerful

use mechanical reverse available from Pro-Motive

not - in the sense that it is very loud, sounds like a superbike and revs very very high.

I need it to keep sounding like a 'normal' car, at least in low revs, as it is not legal to do these kind of modifications here in Portugal.
no chance. you can make it quieter than mine, but it'll never sound loike a normal car

If it can be discrete, it's not very normal to have an issue with the cops but if it sound to powerfull they might ask.
it can look very discreet from the outside, but the noise is difficult to hide.

#4 Dhiralj

Dhiralj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

quite easy if you have a good basic mechanical skill level.

yes.

Vtec can be made more powerful

use mechanical reverse available from Pro-Motive

not - in the sense that it is very loud, sounds like a superbike and revs very very high.

no chance. you can make it quieter than mine, but it'll never sound loike a normal car

it can look very discreet from the outside, but the noise is difficult to hide.

Roofless.. hum.. I believe this is all your fault, if you're the guy with the perfect cabio mini.

I saw your car and got a nice explination about it all last year in Birmingham.. and what can I say.. It's just a dream!

I really want to go down this route for many reasons and thanks for all the feedback above.

I'm now really worried about the noise issue.

What if I add a std car exhaust & silencer, like from a honda jazz or saxo?

Wouldnt it be very quiet? would it breathe well?

I guess it'll always sound different but will it be quiet enough not to be noticed at lower revs?

Does anyone do a good vtec conversion for a std legnth round nose mini LHD?

Could it ever handle as well as a promotive, considering the promotive maintains all std mini geometry and suspension?

I love my 10" rims and I can keep these with a promotive kit but not wth any other conversion, right?

Cheers and thanks again Roofless,

Dhiral

#5 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

thanks, you make me blush :)

i guess with some research, and with careful tuning, in low revs the noise can be reduced. I have a very aggressive exhaust which just makes things as noisy as possible, but maybe with a suitable silencer it could be made quieter.

on tick-over it is fairly quiet, its only when you get to mid revs it starts to get loud.

I guess a standard YAMAHA R1 motorcycle is legal over there - so maybe use the R1 cans ( silencers ) to keep it 'standard' - maybe use 2 as a means to reduce noise a little? They do fit under the subframe because we experimented with this.

I remeber you from Birmingham - I didnt realise you had come all thet way !! If you want to come over again, I live only 30 minutes from Pro-motive so we could go for a drive, get a feel for the conversion, and then go visit Phil at pro-motive.

cheers

Martin. :)

Edited by roofless, 12 September 2009 - 12:07 PM.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

Isn't the Suzuki one of the smaller car engine conversions? 16 valve or turbo A Series?
Turbo'd 16valve A :)?

#7 Dhiralj

Dhiralj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

thanks, you make me blush :)

i guess with some research, and with careful tuning, in low revs the noise can be reduced. I have a very aggressive exhaust which just makes things as noisy as possible, but maybe with a suitable silencer it could be made quieter.

on tick-over it is fairly quiet, its only when you get to mid revs it starts to get loud.

I guess a standard YAMAHA R1 motorcycle is legal over there - so maybe use the R1 cans ( silencers ) to keep it 'standard' - maybe use 2 as a means to reduce noise a little? They do fit under the subframe because we experimented with this.

I remeber you from Birmingham - I didnt realise you had come all thet way !! If you want to come over again, I live only 30 minutes from Pro-motive so we could go for a drive, get a feel for the conversion, and then go visit Phil at pro-motive.

cheers

Martin. :kiss:

Thats really great Martin and may be i'll take you up to the offer in a couple of months....

Now it's time to get the funding for the whole conversion and already started selling mini stuff...

Including the A-series.. :-

cheers, Dhiral

#8 Dhiralj

Dhiralj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:22 PM

Isn't the Suzuki one of the smaller car engine conversions? 16 valve or turbo A Series?
Turbo'd 16valve A :)?

Hi Ethel..

Thanks for the comment but we also working on another mini which should be ready soon..

It's a 1966 mk1 Cooper full original spec but with a modded power plant.

it's a 16v BMW head fully ported and polished with race cams, a mega squirt, 1360cc 73mm piston with polisted std A+ crank.

Also added straight cut drops and a full JKD Dog box with straight cut output final drive.

Additionally, it'll run on injection and a full maniflow stainless steel exhaust.. lololol

I can't wait to have it ready... A 1966 sleeper, N/A with 130hp and amazing breathing...

But I guess I still want more Power/fun and therefore I'm very inclinded towards the promotive kit with an extra 40hp and less 100kgs.. It'll fly.. and don't forget the sccr 6 speed sequecial gearbox from the R1... all for £1000 (R1 engine and running gear) and for the mini A-series, I can't even get a special crank for that price...

I just can't help finding the A-series not reliable enough when pushed very hard and it's also expensive to built and maintain...

I'll try to keep a 1380 A-series, the BMW and the promotive all on the road at the same time but if one has to go....

Cheers, Dhiral

#9 Dhiralj

Dhiralj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:43 AM

thanks, you make me blush ;D

cheers

Martin. :(

Thats really great Martin and may be i'll take you up to the offer in a couple of months....

Now it's time to get the funding for the whole conversion and already started selling mini stuff...

Including the A-series.. :thumbsup:

cheers, Dhiral

Hi Martin,

Just thought I'd let you know how things are coming along since our last chat... :-

I already bought a complete R1 2000 version with carbs and a Clubman Estate for the Promotive build!!

Also got a 1st exhaust to finalize the build (Maniflow large bore stainless steel with mid silencer) but this will have to be change quick and further noise reductions achieved...

Promotive will only deliver the kit in mid November when they return from powder coating but I also paid for half of that too!! (I cant wait...)

So basically, I have:

Clubman estate
R1 complete and running bike for parts
Promotive kit
Exhaust
Speedo healer (found on ebay but still have to order)
7.9" 4pot Brakes (Mini Sport) + Servo
Spax adjustable (Limited edition) + Hilo's
12" Rims

Do you think I'm missing anything to complete the build?

Do you have a LSD? Should I get one for my setup? It will be mainly a road car but will also do some track.

Should I be looking for weight saving or will is run well with the standard weight of the car + some ice? Is the bike alternator good enough for this?

Send me your email so I can send you some photos. Mine is [email protected] .

Any input from you will definately be very helpfull at this time and once again, thanks for all your previous feedback, unfortunately I couldnt plan to come meet you and promotive but it was definately the basis for my final decision.

Soon I will have the 1st promotive mini in Portugal!!! :P

Cheers,

Dhiral

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users