#1 carboy001

carboy001

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

Hello Everyone,

I think I just got caught speeding by a mobile speed camera, was doing 35-40 in a 30 :) First off please don't post anything if your just going to moan about the fact I was speeding, I know I was in the wrong.

But can anyone inform to the legalities of the mobile speed camera as im not sure if they would be right in giving me a ticket, just some queries really.

-First I was driving towards the camera, it is correct they can catch you for speeding even though they were on the other side of the road?

-There was a bus pulled up at a bus stop obstructing id say half the cameras view, would this ive a true representation of speed?

-They had located themselves on top of a hill with the camera pointing out to it, would this give a true reprensentation of speed as it is an uneven road and not a flat surface?

-When I went past the officer didnt have an type of high visability clothing on and when I came back she did, it is a hot sunny day, do they have to wear the high visability clothing when using the equipment?

-They were community officers are they allowed to use speed cameras?

Just some things I was thinking about, if anyone could answer one if not all of them if would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

#2 skaterava

skaterava

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:01 PM

Hey carboy,

First off, yeah they can catch you if you're on the other side of the road. The police have been getting sneakier in recent years when it comes to driving offenses. Secret cameras and all that stuff, they can pretty much do what they like.

Second, I think you'd have to see the picture they snapped to see if the bus had obstructed the view enough. If it really obstructed it, its possible they could not have got a reading of your speed because of that.

The road being uneven would not make a difference to their read out, The speed you were travelling at would have been registered in their camera, unless the bus stopped it.

They have to wear high vis jackets whenever they're on the roadside, just as motorway workers do.

Community officers are allowed to use speed cameras when they've been assigned to that task by their Constabulary. I saw a PCSO going around in an "observation vehicle" with a camera on it's roof. What they were observing though, i have no idea :)

#3 Pending

Pending

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:02 PM

dont know the legalities but i got cought on the phone. i was at the top of a hill and they were down the bottom on a bend ( in the speed camera van), a would say i was a good 1/8 - 1/4 mile away. from the evidence they sent me it looks like they was recording me, rather than taking pictures. i got 9 pictures sent me showing me taking the phone from my ear. in the end i got a 3 points and a £294 fine, i also framed the big a4 picture they sent

matt

#4 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:23 PM

Hi Carboy

You'll know one way or the other if you've been caught within the next 2 weeks. Thay have to send (or at least used to when I was in GMP) a "NIP", notice of intended prosecution, within 10 days. Unless it has changed with the advent of automatic cameras etc, if you've not heard in that time you probably never will.

As for your other questions, PSCO's can be trained. In Somerset where my sister lives, they have trained residents in the local villages to operate cameras although I'm fairly certain that they only generate an "advisory" rather than a prosecution if caught.

As for the hi-vis jackets. Don't know on the legality of wearing them, probably more a H&S issue. I know from experience that the waterproof ones are hellish on a day like today.

If you have been caught. As you were only just over the limit you may get the offer of a speed awareness course. You still pay the fine but don't get the points.

Regards

Steve

#5 darren10_3

darren10_3

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

im fighting with the police over this at moment because i want to c the calabration sheet as they have to have this done once a week and they cant provide it i been told by somebody in the legal sectore i have a good case if they cant provide it i was only doing 34 in 30 limit bit petty

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

I know for certain that a PCSO in Sussex can only do vehicle speed checks when accompanied by a trained police officer, same with DVLA/VOSA checks.

As for everything else, I'm pretty sure that if you get the speed ticket, you've not got much of a leg to stand on. You might be lucky and it might have just been ANPR.

#7 carboy001

carboy001

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, think i may look into it more regards the High Visability (most probably H&S like stevede said but worth shot) and it being a PCSO.

Whats a ANPR?

Once again thanks for the replies :)

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:08 PM

Reads your licence plate and checks for tax, MOT, insurance.

#9 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

ANPR automatic number plate recognition

is fitted to police cars ,cctv vans some petrol stations etc

Edited by THE STIG, 12 September 2009 - 03:18 PM.

#10 che

che

BH2N Retro Organiser

• Members
  • 3,644 posts
  • Local Club: Said the joker to the thief

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

Noticed some signs have gone up within the last couple of days in front of quite a few speed cameras in my local area, stating that they are now speed cameras/mobile phones/seat belts.

#11 Gaffer

Gaffer

Previously known as j519ldv. King of the spam costume!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Local Club: Crash Barrier Minis

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:42 PM

I think i heard somewhere that the offence is not valid if the camera was not on a stand, it is used behind the closed glass window, the officer must be trained, and the gun calibrated.

Just found this site via good old google, it seams to be a forum for the motorist to find out legal help and advice on offences.

To reveal to the ordinary UK motorist, clearly and concisely, how the government, police and judicial system deal with allegations of motoring offences in real life, and to provide the information motorists need to defend themselves.

Hope this helps

#12 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

Did you ever here anything from this?

#13 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

I don't think there are any hand held speed 'cameras', only hand held speed guns.
Mobile speed cameras are either mounted in a van or on tripods.

With a camera the evidence is recorded and the prosecution follows later, with a gun you should be pulled over and the NIP etc delivered to you at the time of the offence.

There are PCSOs (or ESCSOs as they now seem to be branded - Emergency Services Community Support Officers) around my area doing speed 'surveys' with hand held guns. I can't help but think their idea is flawed as when they stand at the side of the road with HiVis gear, on brandishing a laser gun, everyone slows down and warns each other of the speed trap - not really a true reflection of the usual speed of traffic in the area!

#14 shorty

shorty

Short Guy

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:09 AM

I don't think there are any hand held speed 'cameras', only hand held speed guns.
Mobile speed cameras are either mounted in a van or on tripods.

With a camera the evidence is recorded and the prosecution follows later, with a gun you should be pulled over and the NIP etc delivered to you at the time of the offence.

There are PCSOs (or ESCSOs as they now seem to be branded - Emergency Services Community Support Officers) around my area doing speed 'surveys' with hand held guns. I can't help but think their idea is flawed as when they stand at the side of the road with HiVis gear, on brandishing a laser gun, everyone slows down and warns each other of the speed trap - not really a true reflection of the usual speed of traffic in the area!

i have seen the same thing happen with the mobile cameras (ones in vans)
those who see it in time slow down...then flash other drivers to warm then.

#15 carboy001

carboy001

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

Think thats what mine must of of been as its now the 3rd week since and i havent recieved anything through the post :lol: Also watched something on Granada where they were doing a report on PCSOs and it showed that they do do surveys to investigate speed down roads and slow people down that particular road as they would be aware that they do checks there. Basically a fake portable speed camera, cheaper than using qualified police.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users