boddz

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

Rover Mini Studio 2:
1991:
Heater only blowing out cold air, and it seem not to warm up after drive a while???:

#2 m1tch

m1tch

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

Hi there :) welcome into the club >_< The most common issue is with the heater valves as they normally get stuck open or closed, as yours is a later mini its a black plastic sort, you can get a replacement at minispares, also check that the water level in the rad is topped up as well as if there isn't any water to pump around, it won't get pumped around! :thumbsup:

#3 mintom

mintom

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Local Club: TVMC

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

You've likely got the same setup as me.
As m1tch says, heater valve (attached to the other end of the heater cable), check that this moves correctly. It can get seized, and can be freed up with some WD40 and a clean up.

If the heater valve is moving ok (with the heater cable), the other possibility you could have is that the heater matrix has gotten blocked.
This is my current problem. My heater valve is permanently "on" at present, and I still don't get any hot air. It's lower down my priority of problems at present and will be sorted at some point. I've heard it's possible to flush things out with a hose, or use some descaler possibly. Perhaps someone else could elaborate.

#4 defmini

defmini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

Hi just may be worth checking the thermostate before you go too far, easy check is to remove it and run engine see if you get hot air.

#5 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

The above points are what i would do first. Also it would probably worth cleaning out the heater matrix, its suprising how much brown muck is in there.

James :thumbsup:

#6 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

i'd plump for the heater tap being the problem. take it off, spray with WD40 until it moves freely and replace. Might be worth taking the other heater hose off and firing water through the heater matrix via this pipe, basically reverse flushing the matrix.

unless the heater pipe comes off the thermostat housing and the thermostat has broken up, i cant see it being the thermostat as your car would be overheating by now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users