Ken -The 998 Micra Mini (New High Comp 1.3 Engine Build Underway)
Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:32 PM
Lower arm pin replaced and suspension all back together and torqued up
20180702_095834 by Lawrence Balls, on Flickr
Trigger wheel all ready to weld on
20180702_110229 by Lawrence Balls, on Flickr
It is welded in now but forgot to get a pic
I also bought the fuel for her and charged the battery.
Tried to start and I'm getting huge backfires through my inlet which is blowing the itbs off the manifold
Now I'm suspecting ignition timing or cam timing, so have bought a timing gun that will hopefully arrive soon so I can check EDIS is timing itself right on default settings.
Also fitted my electric window kit! It's well awesome! Took a bit of tinkering to get it to fit right but works wellish now. I need new window seals as mine are really rigid and breaking up in places!
20180704_164718 by Lawrence Balls, on Flickr
20180704_165514 by Lawrence Balls, on Flickr
Need some new door cards also and some tasty DSN alloy door furniture but that can wait till the engine starts! Might make the cards myself, not sure yet!
Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:54 PM
Timing light arrived today, doesn't work at idle, lame.
Played with the ignition via tunerstudios. More backfires and even worse.
Then I sprayed easy start down all the plug and got backfires from both 1 and 4 and then 2 and 3.
Flames in pairs? Had to be something wrong with the timing.
Cam cover off. All fine cams fine, nothing 180 out.
Compression tested. 0, 0, 0, 0
I blew air down all the sparkplug holes.
Every inlet valve is open whether they are open because of cams or not.
Measured. All inlet valves are open about 2mm
Looks like the heads coming off. Bet all the valves are bent. Not even looked at the exhaust. Stupid boy
All for now. Good I've got spare heads. Hope the heads ok if not I'll get another skimmed.
Annoyed at myself. This engine better be amazing when it works.
Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:17 AM
Well yesterday was very enlightening!
Bit of stripping
So. Yh I laughed hahah. Had to really. Think I should stop making engines yet?!!
As always with me. Things don’t go great!
minimal bends there!
Where they kissed the seats
But its not all bad. I can see no cracks at all. All this damage has been done at cranking or manually turning the engine.
Exhaust valves are all perfectly fine and undamaged. It appears that there is zero damage to the head itself. I trial fitted some spare inlet valves. No damage to any of the valve guides and the valve seats look perfect still.
No leaks on cylinder 4. Valves sealing fine. Ill clean up the rest of my spare valves and trial fit them. If none of them leak or minially leak without lapping then I would say this head is good to go again!
And back to the block
The marks on all the pistons are very superficial, it appears the valves hit the piston and then were all forced backwards into the cylinder wall. This has pushed the aluminium up. The pockparks were on the crown already if people are interested. But, where the rings run haven’t been touched. Theres no marks on the cylinder walls.
So ive not damaged the liners but have come very very close.
Plan – Test the valves. Assess block and maybe gently dress the bent aluminium down to level it again.
Sure there’s a risk it might not work when its all back together but for the cost of a headgasket which I already have im happy to risk it. And buy some breakdown cover.
All for now. Updates tommorow
Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:33 PM
So time to catch up with a few days work
Yesterday I had a little supervisor to keep occupied so couldn’t do as much as I liked
So I lapped the valves in.
all sealed nicely
dressed the marks down on the block gently
ordered the headgasket kit
and made a little plane out of various bits lying about.
Might make a few more and sell them. Think it took me an hour or so to make it. Im going to make a few more and if I can get it made in less than half an hour see if I can sell them for £15 or so. Ill sort some stainless steel out too.
Then onwards to today
Gasket set arrived
compression tested – all about 250 again which is awesome!
modified and improved alternator mount fitted, I cut my hand badly on the rough one. This has nicely smoothed edges and the outer bar has stiffened it up more
Then I attacked the battery and started her up.
Oil pressure at idle is nice and solid, fast idle 35 ish. No rev counter so not sure how high, just done by ear.
Drove her back and fourth a few times.
So that’s that. Engine works. Bit smokey at first start but soon went away. Bought up to temp and kept at a high idle to bed the rings in best I could.
Few issues still
>Alternator is not charging the engine still!
>Quite a large oil leak the clutch side of the engine, had a look underneath and the end seal on the sump is misplaced a little and is weeping from there – not something I can fix without sump off so that’s something to do.
All for now.
Glad the engine runs nicely
3 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users