Photo
- - - - -

Ken -The 1275 High Compression Engine Micra Mini (Running Project)

• Please log in to reply
749 replies to this topic

#16 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:01 PM

i was contemplating that sonikk4 for ease of work and it kills lots of birds with one stone
the quarter panels are just spot welded on correct? and are these the ones you were recommending?
http://www.minispare...mp;tc=1#submenu
http://www.minispare...=...8679&title=

i just went out and took some more pictures and did some work
petrol tank before\
petrol tank after (im mainly painting visible areas but will also paint corroded areas etc, will probably end up doing the lot)

items bought so far
headlamp rings and new badges
centre speedo (may sell not sure yet)
triumph warning light (i want more warning lights for abvious reasons and the picture doesnt do it justice, its pretty much mint)
headlight converters (again may sell, not sure)

and here are more pictures of rust :-)
drivers side front of arch
pasengers side inner sill, note the holes
passengers side front floor pan, i think ill replace it
better picture of rust on rear quater window
drivers side rear valance closing panel

hope you all like
L

Edited by lawrence, 03 July 2017 - 08:53 PM.

#17 RS##BAM

RS##BAM

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:40 PM

looks like you got your hands full there matey, first thing i would do is tidy the workspace so you can get round the mini more easy. then tackle one bit at a time or you will seem as though your getting no where fast . good luck with it and keep us posted .

Bam.

#18 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

Yes those are the parts you need plus these from Somerford CZH426, CZH427. £34.06 ea These are the waist rails. They are all spot welded on or plug welded depending on your equipment. The waist rail is spot welded at the front and seam welded onto the rear bulkhead.

You will also need these as well 14A6611 CLOSING PANEL, heelboard to arch, RH-14A6612 CLOSING PANEL, heelboard to arch, LH £10.21 ea as yours look a tad holey. These we also bought from somerford. Spot welded on
When you take your rear quarter off and when you look into your companion box you may find your inner sill stiffener is rusty as well so this needs to be changed. I did make my own but you can buy these as well. 14A8994 STIFFENER, inner sill, RH. Again from Somerford £10.56 ea. Spot welded on.

Not the cheapest but all very good quality. You can get cheaper rear quarter panels but make sure if you do go for the ones that finish up the window pillars and not below. This will make your life so much easier.

Good luck :D :P

Edited by sonikk4, 09 October 2010 - 08:43 PM.

#19 BlakeMcCall

BlakeMcCall

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

Pm me if your thinking of selling the headlamp covers :D

#20 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:11 AM

Hey, looks like youve got quite a job on your hands! Itll be worth it when its done though, mine was :P Mines got pretty much the same accident damage as yours, mum reversed into her :D What happened to yours?

Good luck!

Edited by miniman24, 10 October 2010 - 09:12 AM.

#21 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

hello people, im amazed i got some comments :)
on recomendation from sonikk4 im making a list of panel i need and a total

1ea.- REAR WING-1970 ON-R/H GENUINE
1ea.- REAR WING-1970 ON-L/H GENUINE
1ea.- WAIST RAIL- REAR 1/4 LIGHT-1970 ON- R.H.
1ea.- WAIST RAIL-REAR 1/4 LIGHT 1970 ON-L.H.
1ea.- COMPANION BIN CLOSE PLATE & SEGMENT-SALOON-RH
1ea.- COMPANION BIN CLOSE PLATE & SEGMENT-SALOON-LH
1ea.- INNER SILL STIFFENER-R/H
1ea.- INNER SILL STIFFENER-L/H
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
£227.38<-- doesnt seem to bad, its alot of car >_<

i have also been doing some more stuff today once i finished work

firstly i painted some more of the fuel tank, just on half left now
Posted Image

ive also stripped out most of the interior
Posted Image

the wiring loom is pretty much gone, i like the look of the engine bay like this so will be trying to reroute the wires and fuse box
Posted Image
here it is in all its glory, its all just about working due to the work ive done on it in the recent past (for mot)
Posted Image
however i want to replace the connections to the rear wiring as these bullet connections are awfull
Posted Image

so my plan are at the moment
>get the wiring loom rewrapped using something and replace all bad connections
>get a new fusebox probably from a more modern car, i want one fuse per function unlike it is at the moment, and put it inside away from the elements

im doing cheaper stuff this month due to lack of funds, next paycheck a welder should be on the cards
but

does anyone have a wiring diagram that they have made for a with an integrated fusebox?
im also on the lookout for a mpi mini steering column with stalks and steering wheel and i can either trade (have some starmag alloys) or pay cash

hope you enjoy, thanks for looking
L

edit: forgot to say miniman24, the damaged headlight has been fixed for a while now i got reversed into but it was all sorted within the week :lol: i just used that picture as its the only one i can find :thumbsup:

Edited by lawrence, 10 October 2010 - 01:59 PM.

#22 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

so people, ive not updated in a while due to being bought a welder for christmas so ive not needed to rush it much. so i had a sleep but so far i have finished painting my petrol tank, i have also painted the wheel well and battery box (both had surface rust)
Posted Image
i have also continued with the electrics and they are virtually finished with acception to replacing the alarm. i decided to add pillar light to come on with the interior light as i had seen on another rebuild (daughter zoes mini i think)
Posted Image
i have also made my own centre console that i will eventally cover in some sort of fabric
Posted Image
Posted Image
this i a shot of the lights working
Posted Image
and a close up of the warning light panel
Posted Image
Posted Image
in moving the fuse box to the inside of the car (pictures on request i forgot to take one) i tidyed the engine bay, which in my opionion looks alot less cluttered
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
i then felt in a destructive mood and i had always been suspicious of my large sill to doorstep seam so began removal of the sill. this is what i had found
Posted Image
simply the person before me had cut off the drainage parts off the old sill and slapped a new one one with about 8 plug welds that all broke easily. so now im left with this
Posted Image
Posted Image
and a picture with a light behind to show the holes
Posted Image
hope you all like this even though ive not done alot. ive also bought 2 new floor pans and will get some cutting disks and paint sometime soon, im also getting 2 new sills next monday
lawrence

#23 jinjrich

jinjrich

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: YMMOC

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:29 PM

Hey man those sills are nasty! You've had oversills fitted that dont let the air get in and allow them to 'breath'. Water also gets trapped in there. just make sure you replace the inner sills and fit genuine oversills and you will be ok. I caught mine a bit earlier than yours but if you need any pointers just shout. loads of people on here helped me out. Also, i taught myself to weld over about six months and did it all myself, which i would thoroughly reccomend! Good luck.

#24 Timinichelsea

Timinichelsea

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

be careful with replacing the fuse boxes, I tried it on a standard loom and nothing on the car worked, so i went back to a standard one and it was fine.

I'm now building a completely custom loom.

#25 minimaff

minimaff

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Local Club: Barnsley mini club

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:36 PM

Did i read it right you paid 1800 for the car.

You look like you got lots to do....

Keep up the hard work

#26 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

i paid 1800 a year and a half ago, however i was slightly nieve and the car was modded. at least i dont have to pay for any modifications like alloys etc as ive allready got them. also the wiring ive done basicly use all the old loom its just more split up for safety

anyways i did a little work today but not alot as im rather ill :). i removed the alternator and gave it a good clean and polish and then painted the rest
Posted Image
Posted Image
i also took a photo of the fuse box and its relay if anyone was interested
Posted Image
tomorow after work ill update again as intend to paint the engine silver to match the wiper motor
hope you like the small update
Lawrence

#27 valve bounce

valve bounce

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

hi just read the topic and good luck with the welding quick question, did you have to extend the loom a route it inside the cabin?

#28 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

hi valve bounce. well the loom was mainly moved back to inside . The 9 bullet connectors connecting the front loom to the back one above the wiper motor i simply brought inside the dash. and then i layed out the loom on the drive to figure out the wiring. i hope this picture helps a little
Posted Image
Thats my fuse box with a few circuits segregated. The rear fog, window demister, brake warning light, reversing lights and brake lights. All of those circuits i simple removed from the main loom and where they are connected to the fuse box is where they origionally took their power. i cannot remember lengethening any wires for that section. Overall i have used many of the origional wires and to make it easier for the next owner to understand i have written a document with details of earth locations and power points for problem solving. hope this helps you a little.

with regard to work i havent had alot of time today but have fitted some parts back to show my developing engine bay
Posted Image
hope you all like
Lawrence

#29 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

well i think its about time for another update as i havent made one for a few months due to the freezing weather keeping me out of the garage. However during this time i have being purchasing items to help with the restoration.
first there was my dremel to help with the small pieces of cutting etc
Posted Image
my second perchase was my auto tint welders helmet
Posted Image
and my third perchase just after the start of march becuase of funding problems was this lovely welder!!
Posted Image
due to the cold i havent been doing much on the car accept removing the rear valance
Posted Image
to find the old ones lip still in place and to find both of my valance closing panels are extremely shot
Posted Image
now i have my welder i have started practising again (i have borrowed one before to have a go) these are what my welds are currently looking like
Posted Image
today i progressed by actually trying but welds which i think went very well
Posted Image
following on with this i have now actually made a panel and welded it to the car!! (i know it still needs finishing)
Posted Image
Posted Image
ive also topped up with lots of consumables to use so theres nothing stopping me with cracking on accept the girlfriend >_<

over the next few days im intending to weld the hole to the right of my patch as well as the small one on the doorstep. depending how long this takes ill also make a start on the passengers side floorpan

hope you like this long needed update and look forward to the next few days. any tips and encouragement are appreciated
Lawrence
ps could i have this topics title changed but someone to "The repair of senior the mini" as i dont know how to

Edited by lawrence, 14 March 2011 - 05:39 PM.

#30 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

2nd proper update
so,
since last time i have put another patch in the rear of the sill, it is alot better than the last one
Posted Image
heres a view from underneath showing then flap disked down
Posted Image
Posted Image
i then began to tackle my next areas which are here
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
so i cut out the rot (and the jacking point as i dont intend to replace it)
Posted Image
and have now begun work on the front floor pan which i intend to finish today
Posted Image
hope you like this update
Lawrence

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users