22 replies to this topic

#1 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:52 AM

Im just changing the water pump and i've tried to take the thermostat housing off but one of the bolts has just snapped clean off... What do i do?

Also, the other bolts wont come undone..... how do i get them undone?

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:55 AM

Has it snapped flush with the top of the head of is it still sticking out of the head?

If its flush, then you will have to drill and re-tap the hole. If its still sticking out then try plenty of penatrating oil and heat, with a pair of moles it will come eventually.

#3 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:59 AM

ahhh, sorry.. i phrased that wrong... ive snapped the nut off the top and the thermostat housing is still on.

#4 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:30 AM

All three of them have snapped off now... so do i drill them out and get some new studs?

#5 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:47 PM

if you cant get the housing of the snapped bolts i'd be tempted to take a lump hammer to the housing then use heat/penetrating oil and moley's to get the studs out. Its a lot easier to get a new housing than drilling and re-tapping the head imo.

#6 cats_mini

cats_mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:47 PM

I've done the same,but was advised just to leave the bolt in,as it's flush with the housing and can be a bugger to reseal properly.

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:45 PM

Once all the studs have broken (or backed out, or the nuts have come off) flood the holes where the studs pass through the t-stat cover with penetrating oil. Also flood the joint between the cover and the head. Tap with a heavy, soft hammer, HARD. Work the oil into the gaps and let it soak. Repeat the tapping frequently. Then use a sharp chisel (and/or putty knife) between the t-stat housing and head. Works slowly and gently, prying upward to lift the t-stat housing. DO NOT pry on the hose connection as it will crack.

(Of course, in the U.K., t-stat housings are probably readily available and cheap. Over here, I'd have to mail order the part and wait 10 days to receive it. For you , breaking the cover to bits and installing new is a viable option to what I wrote in the paragraph above!)

Once the cover is off you need to extract what's left of the studs. First let me contradict what someone will certainly say in a future post to this thread. DO NOT try and use E-Z-Outs or whatever you call screw extractors. The stud has just sheared off in a rusty hole in the head... what chance does a hard, brittle, small diameter extractor have? You're inviting disaster with screw extractors. Heat the portion of the stud that is left using a torch. Get the end cherry hot if you can and then you can apply one of two things, penetrating oil or paraffin (wax... not oil). Yes, it might flame up, but not much. With the oil/wax applied to the stud, hit its top with a heavy hammer repeatedly. Repeat this heat, quench, hammer thing two or three time. Then start with the Mole (Vise) grips. Don't be tempted to back the stud out all the way at first. Wiggle the stud to loosen then tighten it in ever increasing arcs. You're trying to work the oil into what's left of the threads. Eventually it will feel free enough to back out. If it gets tight while backing it out, apply more oil and run it in again, then back out.

Be patient, work slowly. It will come out. If you've broken the stud off flush with the block, you're down to using the drill and re-tap method. If it comes to this, post again and I can bore you with details about that.

#8 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:02 PM

wow, thanks dklawson! I'll give that a try... cheers again!

#9 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:15 PM

If you need a housing, I should have one here you can have.

I am in Walton

Siggy

Edited by siggy, 03 October 2005 - 04:17 PM.

#10 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:27 PM

will it fit mine?

Thanks very much siggy.

#11 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?