#1 dwealds

dwealds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Local Club: WSMOC, LSMOC

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hi, I just put a couple of Cobra bucket seats and 4 point harnesses in my Mpi and now the SRS light is on permanently. Im assuming this is due to disconnecting the front seat belt wiring (the seats are for sale if anyone wants them).

I would like to change the steering wheel for a non-airbag one but i was wondering how hard it is to do?

Also what can i do about the horn as there are the two horn buttons on the steering wheel?

And finally if i can change the steering wheel is it worth getting one of these RAID snap off connections and again how hard are they to put in? http://www.minispare...mp;prod_id=2289

Cheers

#2 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: does here count :)

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

firstly if you take your car to an MOT station in the current state it will fail and MOT as the SRS light is on.

Secondly, you can remove the MPi stearing wheel, there is a boss kit you will need to buy,

The problem is the mpi has a rotarly coupling which connects the horn buttons to the loom. Allowing you to turn the wheel and peep the horn :teehee:

However if you remove the MPi stearing wheel you will need to remove the rotarly coupling and then find a way of joining the horn wires to gether with the new stearing wheel.

By removing the Stearing wheel you will also have the SRS light on.

Easy way, remove the warning altogether. But removing the bulb will not do, because the word SRS will still be on the dash. Any good MOT station will fail it becuase the light will not iluminate for a second or so on startup. But removing the warning and all trace will be ok.

However remember that all these things are for your saftey. Removing them is at your own risk. Also removing the airbag can be a dangerous thing so keep your face away from it when removing it.

Mike

#3 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Local Club: Lincolnshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

firstly if you take your car to an MOT station in the current state it will fail and MOT as the SRS light is on.

MOTs have no requirement for an airbag, or SRS warning light; the worst you would get is an advisory stating the light is permanently on. If the tester argues this, you have the right to ask to see the exact line in the test handbook.

#4 dwealds

dwealds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

MOTs have no requirement for an airbag, or SRS warning light; the worst you would get is an advisory stating the light is permanently on. If the tester argues this, you have the right to ask to see the exact line in the test handbook.

Ah right, cheers, was slightly worried as my MOT is next month, lol. Does anyone know if i could move the horn button so that that negates the need for the coupling all together and can just change the wheel like on any other Mini without an airbag? Maybe put it on the steering column or something? Im not sure on regulations.

#5 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

stick some tape over the light, so it blanked out. worked for me.

the splines for the steering wheel are different on an mpi to other mini columns. You can either buy a boss kit from wood and pickett specifically for the mpi, but its expensive and you're limited to a choice of wheels. Otherwise, a steering wheel boss for an MGF fits, has the right connections, is cheaper, and is available from loads of different companies so you have an infinite choice of wheels.

#6 dwealds

dwealds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:28 PM

Thanks. Any suggestion as to where I could buy an MGF wheel from? and sorry for my ignorance but part is the boss?

#7 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: does here count :)

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

I thought the SRS light light on was a failure . oh well

I ripped mine out so I don't know

Try fleebay for stearing wheels.

mIKE

#8 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

Thanks. Any suggestion as to where I could buy an MGF wheel from? and sorry for my ignorance but part is the boss?

Seconded - been after one for some time now.

#9 redhotmini

redhotmini

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

ebay: mgf steering wheels. search for MGF steering wheel. The other MG's - ZF, ZR, etc wont fit.

the boss is the centre part of the steering wheel - Momo steering wheel boss that one says its for an mgf, but also fits the Mini mpi steering column, same with the steering wheels in my first link. You can use momo, sparco, omp etc steering wheels with that momo boss, you wont be able to use mountney steering wheels or motolita wheels as the fitting for the boss on those 2 makes is much bigger.

#10 lawton

lawton

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:24 PM

ebay: mgf steering wheels. search for MGF steering wheel. The other MG's - ZF, ZR, etc wont fit.

the boss is the centre part of the steering wheel - Momo steering wheel boss that one says its for an mgf, but also fits the Mini mpi steering column, same with the steering wheels in my first link. You can use momo, sparco, omp etc steering wheels with that momo boss, you wont be able to use mountney steering wheels or motolita wheels as the fitting for the boss on those 2 makes is much bigger.

Does this retains the horn function or have to do some customization? Would be interesting to know.
Theres also a MK4928R Mgf boss, which can cancel the SRS light according to the spec sheet.. wonders if this will fit and moves the horn to the center?

thanks in advance

Edited by lawton, 15 October 2009 - 07:30 PM.

#11 Jay3178

Jay3178

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini & South Central

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

MGF stering wheels fit fine, mine is from an MG TF and has the same horn coupling so is a straight swap, here is a pic of mine:
Posted Image

#12 lawton

lawton

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

MGF stering wheels fit fine, mine is from an MG TF and has the same horn coupling so is a straight swap, here is a pic of mine:
Posted Image

a very nice match indeed!

#13 dwealds

dwealds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:40 PM

That does look very nice indeed! But as my airbag wont work I want to get rid of the whole airbag unit. I looked into the Wood & Pickett conversion, it totalled around £330 which in my mind is bit to much to change a steering wheel! :D

#14 dwealds

dwealds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:41 PM

That does look very nice indeed! But as my airbag wont work I want to get rid of the whole airbag unit. I looked into the Wood & Pickett conversion, it totalled around £330 which in my mind is bit to much to change a steering wheel! :D

#15 redhotmini

redhotmini

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:33 PM

That does look very nice indeed! But as my airbag wont work I want to get rid of the whole airbag unit. I looked into the Wood & Pickett conversion, it totalled around £330 which in my mind is bit to much to change a steering wheel! >_<

you need to look for a MOMO steering wheel boss, to fit a MGF. You can then fit any MOMO, Sparco etc steering wheel (has the smaller centre than most mini steering wheels). Last time i looked on ebay, the boss kits cost around £50. I think there is a link in one of my previous posts on this thread.

Hope this helps you out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users