45 replies to this topic

#31 minihaven

minihaven

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

hi Dan have you still got the A/B from your mpi one ?

#32 dwealds

dwealds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Local Club: WSMOC, LSMOC

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

hi Dan have you still got the A/B from your mpi one ?

I have yeah and the original steering wheel, are you after one then?

#33 Minitrio

Minitrio

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

Just out of interest Dan, did you get the horn working and how did it affect your insurance?

#34 dwealds

dwealds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

Yeah I got the horn to work fine.

Insurance wise don't ask :geek:

#35 THE GA

THE GA

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

was the horn easy to make work ?

got a MOMO wheel ordering my MGF hub

is it just re connect the wires ?

HELP HELP WANTED

#36 dwealds

dwealds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

HELP HELP WANTED

It is pretty easy to do, the problem i had was i couldn't connect both the wires to the horn switch without it going off, eventually i worked out that it's because the switch wasn't earthed........or something like that, was a while ago when I did it.

You will be fine, it's not that hard.

#37 MiniBonkerz

MiniBonkerz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:29 PM

Easy way, remove the warning altogether. But removing the bulb will not do, because the word SRS will still be on the dash. Any good MOT station will fail it becuase the light will not iluminate for a second or so on startup. But removing the warning and all trace will be ok.

Mike

Please quote me if im wrong but if you just remove the bulb im pretty sure it stops the car from starting???

#38 EngineerDaisy

EngineerDaisy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:04 AM

Easy way, remove the warning altogether. But removing the bulb will not do, because the word SRS will still be on the dash. Any good MOT station will fail it becuase the light will not iluminate for a second or so on startup. But removing the warning and all trace will be ok.

Mike

Please quote me if im wrong but if you just remove the bulb im pretty sure it stops the car from starting???

I dont think so i noticed when i bought mine that the airbag light never came on, turns out theres no bulb in it and it starts fine :thumbsup:

#39 dwealds

dwealds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

I havnt got round to taking the bulb out mine yet but I wouldn't think it would stop the car starting. It also makes no difference to the MOT as the light was on in mine through the MOT and they didn't say anything :D

#40 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

It's only the ABS warning light being illuminated which would cause an instant MOT failure

and as Minis don't have an ABS warning light, or ABS then you're ok... lol

Edited by Guess-Works.com, 18 January 2010 - 07:12 PM.

#41 nottinghamphil

nottinghamphil

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

HELP HELP WANTED

It is pretty easy to do, the problem i had was i couldn't connect both the wires to the horn switch without it going off, eventually i worked out that it's because the switch wasn't earthed........or something like that, was a while ago when I did it.

BIG STRUGGLE to do this, I have been trying to do this conversion on my '97 Mpi , I have the MGF boss but the connector housing together with the plug is too big to fit though the boss when using the plug, also it will not locate properly onto the canceller, is the only way to butcher the whole switch ??? ( re route a new horn wire ? )

Not hard !!!! Its Damn Impossible ! unless you know different , please tell ( in detail please )

#42 dwealds

dwealds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

HELP HELP WANTED

BIG STRUGGLE to do this, I have been trying to do this conversion on my '97 Mpi , I have the MGF boss but the connector housing together with the plug is too big to fit though the boss when using the plug, also it will not locate properly onto the canceller, is the only way to butcher the whole switch ??? ( re route a new horn wire ? )

Not hard !!!! Its Damn Impossible ! unless you know different , please tell ( in detail please )

Ok I think I know half of what you're saying (it was a while ago that I did mine so apologies if my memory is a bit fuzzy to start with). Im assuming by connector housing and plug you mean for the horn and the yellow wire that was for the air bag, they come from the rotary coupling? (should be visible when the old steering wheel is removed and usually covered in yellow stickers) If so my boss had a small section cut out of the inside to feed these through so they came out the centre of the boss when it was located on the splines.

Horn wiring I had to connect to wires from the horn button that was provided with the steering wheel, I did this using a couple of through crimps.

Sorry but im not sure what you mean by canceller, please explain?

#43 sirweste

sirweste

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

THe requirement for the SRS light is for it to test light upon key on and then go out. I thought that if this didn't happen it was a test fail for safety reasons - from what others have said maybe its just a advisory.

Either way if airbag is removed; a simple relay circuit could be used to light the SRS lamp upon key on and this would then fufill MOT requirements.

#44 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Local Club: Lincolnshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

THe requirement for the SRS light is for it to test light upon key on and then go out. I thought that if this didn't happen it was a test fail for safety reasons

Hi sirweste,

You are incorrect on this one:

"There are no checks at all on airbags as part of the MOT Test. MOTT."

Source: http://www.motester....MOTQApage2.aspx

The worst they can do is put it as an "advisory"... which you would know about already if you wern't blind... but then you wouldn't be driving the car... parodox!

Ryan.

Edited by L400RAS, 02 February 2010 - 06:38 PM.

#45 stealth05

stealth05

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

just done this conversion on mine , all you need is a 2.7 ohm resistor from maplins (27p) fit this across the airbag plug and the light illuminates and goes out as it sees the resistor as the airbag , job done

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users