71 replies to this topic

#31 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

I can see how they would know to iva a car modified from standerd, but if the car is modified, then IVA'd how are they going to know, or even prove what was on it when it was iva'd? Just seems like they are shooting them selves in the foot there.

Obviously it does depend how far you go.

#32 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,890 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

One question. Who told you your car had to be IVA'd? Or did you just choose to do it?

#33 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:31 PM

One question. Who told you your car had to be IVA'd? Or did you just choose to do it?

i tried to change the engine code and size via the dvla on an old tax exempt donor car and it must have been spot checked. they asked to inspect it and it carried on from there....

#34 Mini Type R

Mini Type R

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:55 PM

I was told by the dvla i didnt need to MOT it for 3 years which is good. although i never go that in wrinting..... i will see when i try taxing it later this year i guess.

I was told this when I sva'd my previous car, but when the renewal came through it asked for an MOT. I think I convinced the Post Office that the reminder was wrong as the registration document said the car was only 1 year old.

#35 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

Its been a while since i passed mine. has anyone else done this yet?

#36 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

What's this "cat" malarky? I find no mention of it in the VOSA guide? Is it actually necessary, or just necessary for emissions?

#37 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

I think you only get a by on 3 years mot's if you build it from all new bits.

#38 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

What's this "cat" malarky? I find no mention of it in the VOSA guide? Is it actually necessary, or just necessary for emissions?

its the BET check i think, its crazy difficult to pass without it. i was told impossible with a 2.0l civic engine.

#39 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

its the BET check i think, its crazy difficult to pass without it. i was told impossible with a 2.0l civic engine.

sounds like it might be fun! Cheers.

#40 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

Al,

First thank you for taking the time to write this

Just a couple of things I wasn't clear on - you mention the Dash having to show "speed rating"

"Digidash have a free firmware upgrade for the Digidash lite which allows you to put the dash into "road" mode which complies with the new standard of always showing the speed rating from the moment you turn the key. i had the old firmware which warned about things like fuel level alert over the top of the speed. (you need to send it to them)"

Also does the dash have an ododmeter built in which keeps mileage if it loses 12 volts - do you have to have an ododmeter for SVA?

Cheers

funny how things coincide sometimes - just watching Clarkson ******* off the new Ferrari for having no speedo when using satnav :D

#41 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

Al,

First thank you for taking the time to write this

Just a couple of things I wasn't clear on - you mention the Dash having to show "speed rating"

"Digidash have a free firmware upgrade for the Digidash lite which allows you to put the dash into "road" mode which complies with the new standard of always showing the speed rating from the moment you turn the key. i had the old firmware which warned about things like fuel level alert over the top of the speed. (you need to send it to them)"

Also does the dash have an ododmeter built in which keeps mileage if it loses 12 volts - do you have to have an ododmeter for SVA?

Cheers

funny how things coincide sometimes - just watching Clarkson ******* off the new Ferrari for having no speedo when using satnav :D

i thought exactly the same thing. rules for us and not actual manufactures.

#42 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

I was told by the dvla i didnt need to MOT it for 3 years which is good. although i never go that in wrinting..... i will see when i try taxing it later this year i guess.

I was told this when I sva'd my previous car, but when the renewal came through it asked for an MOT. I think I convinced the Post Office that the reminder was wrong as the registration document said the car was only 1 year old.

i cant believe its been a year! i have just renewed my road tax without an MOT. so im guessing i have another 2 years without needing one.

#43 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hi Al,

Thanks for the detailed info. Im sure my ZCar is going to need one. I really dont know why I havent seen more about this on here, unless most Zcars are getting built for the track only.
Theres so many thing I want to do to the car which would fail an IVA, but I think on my build Im going to have to build it to pass the IVA from the start. I cant afford to build it how I want and then get caught out byh a spot check or something like you did and have to change it all to pass.

Anyway just a couple of things I wanted to ask you which I cant find in the IVA inspection manual.

I know its a long time ago, but do you remember if you have to have self cancelling indicators? I want to use push buttons on mine as Im not going to have any stalks at all but they wont self cancel. Didnt know how "standard" these sort of controls need to be.

Also do you have to have an external door handle? I read the bit about the catch but do you know if a solenoid/door popper would be ok?

Lastly I read in your post that you had to have a steering lock. I cant find this mentioned in there, it says it must have an anti theft device, if a mechanical device is not fitted (such as a steering lock) then an electronic immobilser must be fitted. Is this correct?

Sorry for all the question, hope you are still enjoying your (fully legal) zcar.

Cheers, Ben

Edited by benmoffat, 10 February 2011 - 07:56 PM.

#44 vtecmini2

vtecmini2

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

HI Ben, im sending my car for an IVA test in march, but im going to take it zcars and they are taking it to the IVA test, as i need i few parts sawping b4 it goes, like the exhaust, steering wheel etc.

answers to ur question from what i know are

yes your indicators do need to be self cancelling

i think you must be able to open the door from the outside by and handle

i dont think it needs a steering lock

thanks
john

Are you useing a steel or firbeglass shell?

Hi Al,

Thanks for the detailed info. Im sure my ZCar is going to need one. I really dont know why I havent seen more about this on here, unless most Zcars are getting built for the track only.
Theres so many thing I want to do to the car which would fail an IVA, but I think on my build Im going to have to build it to pass the IVA from the start. I cant afford to build it how I want and then get caught out byh a spot check or something like you did and have to change it all to pass.

Anyway just a couple of things I wanted to ask you which I cant find in the IVA inspection manual.

I know its a long time ago, but do you remember if you have to have self cancelling indicators? I want to use push buttons on mine as Im not going to have any stalks at all but they wont self cancel. Didnt know how "standard" these sort of controls need to be.

Also do you have to have an external door handle? I read the bit about the catch but do you know if a solenoid/door popper would be ok?

Lastly I read in your post that you had to have a steering lock. I cant find this mentioned in there, it says it must have an anti theft device, if a mechanical device is not fitted (such as a steering lock) then an electronic immobilser must be fitted. Is this correct?

Sorry for all the question, hope you are still enjoying your (fully legal) zcar.

Cheers, Ben

#45 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

Thanks John,

Thats slightly annoying about those bits, doesnt look like Im going to have anything the way I want it on my car!

Your using the VTEC kit i guess? What are you doing about the exhaust? I have the one from the Volvo kit but it only has one silencer on it (same as the vtec I think) so theres no way thats going to meet 99db, or the emissions. Ive looked at active exhaust valves and db killers/extras silencers but dont know how I can fit all that behind the boot lid. Do you have to have a cat aswell or just get it down to the emissions stated?

By the way Im using a steel shell, probably keeping it steel fronted aswell.

Cheers

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users