its a question thats been bugging me :)

#2 Calman

Calman

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

Mk 1. External hinges and round smaller rear lights.

Mk2. External hinges and more common square rear lights but with no reverse light.

Then from the on as far as i know pretty much the same apart from maybe minor changes.

(Above are the easiest way to reconise. & the mk2 kicks ass FTW!)

#3 Sherlock

Sherlock

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Register

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:47 PM

To carry on the history, Mk3 had concealed door hinges & wind up windows (often wondered why?) the same angular front grille as the Mk2 & the same rear lights. The Mk4 had reverse lights built in to the rear light units, 2-speed wipers, single wipe feature & some models, like the HL had clubman instrument panels, the HL was also the only one to feature clubman rear bumpers front & rear. I hope my memory is working right here in saying the Mk5 had rear seat belt mountings, & I think by then the old centre speedo had disappeared, no doubt other members will add to this.

#4 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:41 PM

All MK5 Minis had the 12" wheels and 8.4" disc brakes fitted as standard. The rear seat belt mounting brackets had been fitted in place since 1982, but it wasn't until around 1986/87 that rear lap seat belts got fitted as standard, although they were optional extras for some time.

The classic cyclops Smiths Instrument speedometer was finally deleted by October 1985, when the Mini City E got the Mini Clubman style twin clock pod and the Mini Mayfair was uprated and had a rev counter triple clock pod as had been fitted to the Mini 1275GT of 1969-1980.

MK6 Minis kicked in with the arrival of the fuel injected (SPi) Mini Cooper in October 1991, but the MK5 type 998cc engined Minis continued until some time in 1992 (probably October?) when all Minis were then equipped with the 1275cc engine. Although only the Cooper got the SPi system until all Minis inherited it too around 1995? But the Cooper had greater torque and more power than the non-Cooper Minis.

The MK7 Mini was the Twin-Point/MPi Mini and Mini Cooper that was launched in October 1996 and they came with a host of safety features, plus big changes under the bonnet and a complete new wiring loom. But all MPi Mini had the same type engine and performance, regardless of whether they were a Cooper or not.

This might help too: -

Click Me

Edited by taffy1967, 03 October 2009 - 11:46 PM.

#5 WRLondon

WRLondon

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:53 PM

wow
very useful :)
ive got one of the last mini citys to have the "cyclops" singe instrument panel and thats what i was interested in :)

#6 xBR4DLEY

xBR4DLEY

>>mine's still gay<<

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:30 AM

wow
ive got one of the last mini citys to have the "cyclops" singe instrument panel and thats what i was interested in :)

so do i
i have a 83 city e

#7 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:31 AM

wow

I once owned such a beast myself and it was an early 1985 model in Eclipse Blue with 12" wheels and discs. It did have reversing lights as standard, but no head rests or door pockets.

Oh and the rear seat belts had been installed by the previous owner and they'd just bolted inertia reels to the rear window parcel shelf. So not the strongest place for them, but I guess they did the job for a kiddies safety seat.

Edited by taffy1967, 04 October 2009 - 12:32 AM.

#8 xBR4DLEY

xBR4DLEY

>>mine's still gay<<

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:49 AM

wow

I once owned such a beast myself and it was an early 1985 model in Eclipse Blue with 12" wheels and discs. It did have reversing lights as standard, but no head rests or door pockets.

Oh and the rear seat belts had been installed by the previous owner and they'd just bolted inertia reels to the rear window parcel shelf. So not the strongest place for them, but I guess they did the job for a kiddies safety seat.

Could you have just not put door pockets in yourself if you really needed them?

#9 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:05 AM

wow

Could you have just not put door pockets in yourself if you really needed them?

Of course you could, you'd just need to drill a few holes for the self tapping screws. Assuming you want to fit the common plastic type of door pockets.

#10 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

To carry on the history, Mk3 had concealed door hinges & wind up windows (often wondered why?)

The doors had to be changed to use anti burst door locks. The doors although the same shape as elf/Hornet doors are different door catches. Mini van stooped production when the anti burst locks became necessary on commercial vehicles. The fact it was absolutely no problem to convert the van to the later door seemed lost on Austin Rover or possibly it was not considered worth the cost of type approval.

#11 Mk1Jim

Mk1Jim

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:53 AM

Smaller rear window on mk1 of course, if it hasnt been mentioned already

#12 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

To carry on the history, Mk3 had concealed door hinges & wind up windows (often wondered why?)

The doors had to be changed to use anti burst door locks. The doors although the same shape as elf/Hornet doors are different door catches. Mini van stooped production when the anti burst locks became necessary on commercial vehicles. The fact it was absolutely no problem to convert the van to the later door seemed lost on Austin Rover or possibly it was not considered worth the cost of type approval.

The Mini Van and Mini Pick-Up retained the external door hinges, sliding windows and old style door handles right up to the end of production in 1983.

The main reason why they were discontinued is because the Mini was slowly being fazed out at that time, plus they probably didn't want the Mini commercial vehicles taking sales away from the then new Metro Van.

I know the South Wales Electricity Board (now 'Swalec') ordered a fleet of new Mini Vans in their corporate blue colours every year as my late Dad was a foreman.

#13 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

Smaller rear window on mk1 of course, if it hasnt been mentioned already

The MK1 also had smaller rear quarter light windows too.

#14 Mk1Jim

Mk1Jim

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

My miss typing, missed the 's' off of window lol, indeed the mk1 rear quarter windows arent as tall as later cars

#15 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

hows this for a resurrection :)

search button actually worked for a change :thumbsup:

so...................

differences from MK1 to MK2 body:

just the rear lights ? or rear window and rear quater windows as well ?

:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users