11 replies to this topic

#1 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:42 PM

Ok replaced the pads on the front of my mini today and while it was up on axle stands I figured I'd start it up and put it into gear so I put it into 1st released the clutch slowly and the wheel span (could only see the right one because I was in the drivers seat) for about a second then stopped, I depressed the accelerator but there was no movement at all. Put the clutch in and released it and the wheel moved again but again only for a second and I also noticed a noise coming from the engine, put it into 2nd and reverse and it just made the same noise but it never conked out once so I'm thinking the clutch might be slipping or the flywheel has lost it's teeth.

This might be the cause why the mini has no power and can't get over small lips.

Also theres oil coming out somewhere, I think it's the rubber gaitor connecting the metal rod (that goes to the gear stick) to the gearbox.

Can anybody shed any light on the situation? If I need to replace the clutch is it an easy job?

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:54 PM

Well it ain't the flywheel as the flywheel only has teeth for the starter to encage when you start the car.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:54 PM

I think you'll find that the other wheel is spinning... :cheese:

The differential transmits power from the gearbox to the wheels, but it does it in a fashion ( without getting too technical ) which allows the wheels to turn at different speeds, so you can go round corners. An effect of this is the power goes to the wheel which has least resistance to turning.

And the leaky oil thing is typical of minis, you can get a kit which attempts to fix it, works sometimes, or you can just get another seal and push that in...

PS, the teeth on the flywheel are for the starter motor to engage on, not drive the car.

#4 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:14 PM

Well I didn't think it was the flywheel, was just trying to think what other problems it could be.

Both the wheels were up in the air and they were both straight I just thought it was weird that it wasn't spining at all, even if the other wheel was spinning where would the noise of been coming from it didn't sound healthy but perhaps it was normal.

Also when the mini is stationary and theres a slight lip the clutch can be fully up and it won't moved even if I'm revving it, shouldn't it stall?

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:43 PM

now that is a snaffu clutch ...

#6 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:30 PM

So it's most likely the clutch has gone :sad: damn thats more money down the drain, would have been cheaper if I'd bought a working mini.

#7 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:58 PM

So it's most likely the clutch has gone :sad: damn thats more money down the drain, would have been cheaper if I'd bought a working mini.

start the engine with the handbrake on. leave it on and find your biting point, the car should dip at the back and try to learch forward. if not you've a dud clutch. simple but effective :cheese:

#8 m1n1

m1n1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Local Club: I'm unsociable

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:40 PM

it could be the inner pot joint has come adrift alightly. check it, pand make sure they are both pushed in. it has happened to me when my mini was up in the air! to much suspension travel.

#9 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:09 PM

it could be the inner pot joint has come adrift alightly. check it, pand make sure they are both pushed in. it has happened to me when my mini was up in the air! to much suspension travel.

this is true i remember my drive shaft popping out the engine on mine, could be the inner cv joint, have a good feel of the rubber gator, if you can feel lots of balls about the size of a marble then the joint has come apart.

#10 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:37 PM

That seems more likely, I new the clutch was biting but I couldn't diagnose the problem. Too bad it's wet outside otherwise I'd go and have a proper good look now.

Cheers for the help

#11 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:50 PM

If your pot joint had come apart there would be a rather large pile of oil on your driveway... and large amounts of grating and chewing on the drive splines...

#12 m1n1

m1n1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Local Club: I'm unsociable

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:58 PM

yea mine made a terrible grinding noise, but the pot joint had not fully come out of the seal, so it was just touching the splines but no oil leaks!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users