#1 jmetal88

jmetal88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Local Club: okMini

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

When I got my Mini, it was missing the left hand side speedo surround card. It is a left hand drive car with offset gauges, so that means it's missing the small one.

I was wondering, since prices for a new set of cards are extremely expensive online (especially for someone living in the US), would someone on here with a two-gauge pod be willing to take off their smaller speedo surround card and scan it so I could use the image to make a template and cut my own card?

I don't care whether it's from a LHD or a RHD car, if it's from a RHD car, I'll just mirror it before I draw the template. Oh, and tell me the resolution in DPI it was scanned at so I can print it back out at the correct size.

Thanks in advance!

#2 jmetal88

jmetal88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:46 PM

Another thought: I don't know how big it is, so I don't know if it will fit on a scanner. If it doesn't, would any of you be willing to take it out, lay it flat, and upload a picture of it with measurements included at the widest points top to bottom and left to right?

I'll appreciate any help at all with this. Thanks!

#3 CobraV8

CobraV8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

I installed a central speedo in mine, and just made some out of aluminium and covered them in black vinyl.

It is easy to start with cardboard, cut and fit to shape and then trace onto aluminium.

#4 jmetal88

jmetal88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:49 PM

I installed a central speedo in mine, and just made some out of aluminium and covered them in black vinyl.

It is easy to start with cardboard, cut and fit to shape and then trace onto aluminium.

I don't know what shape it's supposed to be though, that's the whole point of my asking for a picture or a scan. Mine was missing when I got the car due to the installation of a walnut dash, which has now fallen apart, and I want to go back to a standard look.

#5 CobraV8

CobraV8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:00 PM

Same here - my car had nothing.

So.... I cut out cardboard for the bottom of the dash (parcel shelf piece) until it fit, and then did the same for a left and then reversed it for the right. Took a little fiddling, and sticking bits on when I cut too much off, but once it all fit with cardboard - did it with aluminium.

#6 jmetal88

jmetal88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:57 PM

So.... I cut out cardboard for the bottom of the dash (parcel shelf piece) until it fit, and then did the same for a left and then reversed it for the right. Took a little fiddling, and sticking bits on when I cut too much off, but once it all fit with cardboard - did it with aluminium.

Oh, I see what you're saying. I've already done that bit, I'm talking about the backing cards, not the shelf.

#7 CobraV8

CobraV8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:44 AM

Oh, I see what you're saying. I've already done that bit, I'm talking about the backing cards, not the shelf.

Yep- did those in the same way as the shelf. You need to bend and twist the aluminium a little to get all the right curves in.

#8 jmetal88

jmetal88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:11 AM

Yep- did those in the same way as the shelf. You need to bend and twist the aluminium a little to get all the right curves in.

In that case, you're either a lot more talented than I am, or it's a lot easier to cut cards for a center speedo. I don't intend to convert to a center speedo, as I like having the gauges in front of me, and trying your method, I'm not getting anywhere close to a card that fits.

The best picture I've found so far is on this page:
http://minispares.co...ty=pb&pid=42486

But I can't make out where the small card is supposed to fold. Also, I've already blown up the picture to a decent size, traced it, and printed it. When I cut it out and fit it in the car, though, the bottom curve isn't quite right and the card itself doesn't seem to be long enough, so I need a more straight-on view.

Can anybody else help me out with this? Anyone who has one of these (the one on the left side of the photo linked to above) to take a picture of or scan?

#9 CobraV8

CobraV8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:39 AM

They do look more complicated than mine. However, if you have made one that doesnt fit, keep on sticking bits of card to it until it is right, you will get there. My dash covers took a night to get the shape right, and another night to cut out in aluminuim, bend and cover.

#10 jmetal88

jmetal88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

I might give it another shot this weekend, but I would still really appreciate a picture if anybody can get one!

#11 jmetal88

jmetal88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

Of course the other thing that doesn't help is I'm also missing the plastic cones that go around the air vents, so I have no idea how far back the cards are supposed to sit.

I've been looking around though, and for some reason I can't find the right kind of cardboard that I'd like to make the cards from, so I might just have to pay the $50+ for a set from Newton anyway.

#12 darkrider

darkrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Local Club: E.P.Veteran Car Club

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:40 PM

I know I'm ten years ;later but if you want a template I can help

#13 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:46 PM

I wouldn't mind 1 for mine, if you could oblige...

#14 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:02 PM

Please

#15 darkrider

darkrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Local Club: E.P.Veteran Car Club

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:10 PM

It's rather dark over here but I'll make a template with dimensions tomorrow and maybe a photo as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users