Photo
- - - - -

How To Update Your Classic Mini To Modern Times?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Hussar

Hussar

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

I've fitted a heated front screen, renewed the entire heating system (warm as toast, fitted electric windows and remote central locking, led's that light up the footwells when you open the doors, led's that light up in the rear edge of the doors when they are open, headlight on warning buzzer, intermittent wiper, variable brightness gauge and switch lights, interior boot light, cat 1 alarm and built in sat nav.
All work fine with no problems at all.

#32 chrscmbs

chrscmbs

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

What a top thread. Just read the lot from start to finish and if these are the only problems? they seem to be easily addressed.

Chris.

#33 Blatherskite

Blatherskite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

Cabin heater matrix often fills up with dust & crap blown in through the air trunking, stopping the air flow through & heat out... Take it out and wash the pipes as well as flush the water tubes.

#34 chrisandsarah

chrisandsarah

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

I just love the fact you've only got six things on your list :D

My list would be so long it would be pointless posting. The car is what it is really, take it or leave it. When it is fixed, well looked after (not owned by me) it is a brilliant car to drive.

Mine takes me all over the UK, is my daily drive + takes me between Bournemouth and Dundee (uni) with very little hassle. All it asks for is a couple of quids worth of parts here and there. Wouldn't be without her now :highfive:

#35 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:08 PM

I've fitted a heated front screen, renewed the entire heating system (warm as toast, fitted electric windows and remote central locking, led's that light up the footwells when you open the doors, led's that light up in the rear edge of the doors when they are open, headlight on warning buzzer, intermittent wiper, variable brightness gauge and switch lights, interior boot light, cat 1 alarm and built in sat nav.
All work fine with no problems at all.

Any posts with this work? These are all conveniences that I think many people would want. If nothing else, to make the wife happier. 

#36 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:38 PM

Electronic ignition
Heated front screen
Clean and rebuild the heater matrix (replace the matrix)
New alloy super cool radiator
Auxillary fan
And a usb/power socket

#37 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:18 AM

Surely the fun with owning a classic car, any classic car, is the true 'retro' driving experience.
Things like a heated screen and a correctly working heater are a good idea though.

#38 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:12 PM

Tried to keep our car fairly age specific with a few extras as she’s used for goo long drives -

1. Mk1 Metro front door pockets - identical to Mini, even the screw holes match up, but have a speaker space so now have a 4 speaker system with the stock rear speakers. Probably upgrade them soon as long as the replacement looks OEM and **NO** CUTTING ON THE PARCL SHELF. Lined the pockets with felt like they do in volkswagens, lined the glove box too, it’s a wee luxury touch that helps stop things rattling.
2. A fair bit of hidden soundproofing with dynamat and sound absorbing stuff. Does add a bit of weight and your not going to achieve great results in a mini but takes the edge off. Wasn’t intending too but put it on the inside of the doors when they were being reskinned. The door feels and shuts like a luxury heavy car door. Only a wee bit extra weight but we refused the door hinges just in case and keep an eye on them.
3. Door wind deflectors - hardly noticeable on our black car but you can drive with the windows open a bit and it makes a big difference in the cab comfort.
4. Ticket away 12v accessory plugs. Handy for phone or GPS charging
5. Shelf under passengers glove box. It’s a glass fibre moulding that was fitted on some innocenti’s 8 think. Covered in the same black sound felt that we lined the pockets with. It’s extremely handy. I’ve a clip on it for a torch and a pen holder ( we use the car on the odd navigation thing and it’s handy and unobtrusive)
6. Smallish fire extinguisher bolted on the floor brace under passenger seat. Old work habits die hard. Have a good first aid kit, warning triangle p, OK / SOS board etc... stashed too.
7. Boot fully rimmed out. Took time and fitted it properly. Have a stash place for bulb kit / 1l oil and some hydraulic fluid too. Made a fused lead connected to the battery so that we can leave the battery on winter charge without removing any trim.
8. Wee lights on alarm. Don’t need it but had it spare and was tidying up wiring anyway.
9. Central locking integrated with the Rover alarm / immobiliser. I know it’s not period specific but I picked it up cheaply and it feels really flash walking up to her and plipping the doors open.
10. Fake 2nd fuel tank filler - was on it when we got it. Highly doubt I’d fit one by choice.
11. Cooper S Works conversion kit. Way overpriced but puts a good grin on the face.
12. Sumpgaurd, it’s a beefed up fire grate type with a rounded front. Need it for some of the local club stuff as we go up the odd lane with grass growing up the middle near the height of the poor cars doors.
13. Adjustable front suspension. We’ve the big standard 13” wheels on a sportpack. Not the best wheel for a mini but looks great. We were pretty fussy with the suspension geometry to make her handle as well as possible. Even though she’s not raced or rally’d We went the wee car to handle as wel, predictably and safely as possible, it’s sensible. We put a new rear subframe in a year ago and were fussy about the rear alignment then and it’s reasonably good.
14. Controversial one - Minitastic custom springs and GAZ dampers. The brains and experience says to avoid them but we’ve found them great. I know a bit about car handling and these work for us really well. Though we’ve only had them in 4 years and about 5000 miles. They’re really doing the job for us and handle well and are showing no signs of wear. We had the rear set out and they aren’t showing any signs of damage or wear. Road holding and handling are 2 very different things. With the springs, this car sticks really well and when it does step out it’s with a wee bit of torque induced under steer. Back end hasn’t passed us yet without a wee cheeky help from the handbrake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users