#1 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:20 PM

Evnin All,

During the refurb of my min, my intention is to take the entire underneath of her back to bare metal/remove surface rust, and then re-paint her. I want to also do the arches and subframes.

My initial intention is to use a wire cup bruch on an angle grinder to remove all the dirt/paint/underseal and then i'm a bit unsure of what to coat the bare metal with. I'm thinking a sort of rust prevention coating like por15 of the frost website that someone on here has mentioned, or something along those lines, and then a black hammerite style of paint...basically something real hard wearing but i don't know exactly what. Whatever it is i need to brush it on because of the situation i'm in...or the car's in more like (outdoors, jacked up). Once the pipes are fitted back to the underside, would Waxoyl be a sensible move across the whole of the underneath?

The subframes i can spray with cans as they'll be off the car and i think it'll give a better finish.

Can anyone tell me there experiences of what to use on these areas?
Cheers for any help anyone can give!
dave.

#2 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:21 PM

I scraped of all the old paint and rust
Sprayed it with a rust primer
Brushed on 2 coats of hammerite black metal paint

Then lastly 2 more coats of hammerite under body seal
This stuff does not fully dry and so does not crack/chip off

All this you can get from Halfords

As for the subframes
Remove rust – 2 coats of Hammerite black metal paint – your chosen spay can for a nice glossy finish

Then in the future apply additional coats of under seal to areas that require it

#3 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:40 AM

That's excellent cheers fella, i'll look in to it

#4 Steve Rowe

Steve Rowe

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:59 PM

was removing the Radius arm brackets today and seen the state my wheel wells were in, think ill be doing this to before winter comes

#5 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:37 PM

POR 15 rust preventative paint, this stuff is the best i have ever used.
Does not chip or flake and is rock solid, and a big plus is that it dries better in our dampish climate.
You can brush it on..
Frost are doing free postage just now
I just ordered a load of stuff and will be posting pics shortly of the clubby estate as i restore it..

order code p230 1/2 litre £16
p235 1 litre £26

black, grey, silver or even clear...

used clear on a new brake system and 4 years on still lovely shiny copper pipes, silver discs and drums.... superb stuff..!

#6 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:56 PM

Cheers fella, i've already ordered a load of frost paint, but your mention of the clear type is an excellent piece of work! Genious!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users