#1 pepe

pepe

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:48 PM

hi guys+ gals

just thinking what i could do to get that little bit more from the engine without it costin a arm and a leg... i've seen induction kits on modren cars and have seen it done on minis.
see pick as i have just fashioned this from the pipie that sits under the left wing. i'll just rested it on at the moment so you get the jist of what i mean.

so basically does this work

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:02 PM

Pic?

#3 pepe

pepe

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:08 PM

sorry

Attached Files

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:32 PM

Lifted from another forum; :fear:

Right then, i've seen lots of Minis since i've been messing around with them again with flexable large bore ducting running from the front of the car near the grille to the area where the carb inlet filter sits. A mate of mine with a MPI has got two!
I thought i'd perform a little experement last night and rigged up a temperature probe next to the air filter on the left hand carb on The Shed. The probe was about an inch from the K+N round filter itself. The ambient last night was about 18-19 Degrees when i left here last night. But before i left i got into the car and started it up , just to check that it would start, i ran it for about 2 minutes and then turned it off. When i eventually set off the temperatre under the bonnet had climbed to 34 degrees, due to me starting and stopping the engine. After aproximately 30 metres the temperature under the bonnet had dropped to 18 degrees. Once the engine was thoroughly warmed up at Sandford Hall village i dropped my speed down to 30 for the trip through the village and past the camera. When i entered the village after cruising at about 60-70 mph the temperature was 18 degrees, driving along at 30 the temp was STILL 18 degrees. I tried this several more times and came to the conclusion that as long as you are doing more than about 20 mph the air around the carbs was at the same temp as the air outside.

Conclusion (this is for my car, yours may be different, i doubt it, but it could be different).
From what i have seen ducting air from the front to the back of the engine bay does no more to affect under bonnet temperature above 20mph than having no ducting at all. Below this speed it may have some effect, but then again as soon as you go more than 30mph the temp has dropped to ambient anyway.
I was going to duct some "cooler" air back to my carbs but i dont think i'l bother now, it all seem a bit of a waste of time.

#5 wobblybob

wobblybob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:46 PM

thats why insurance companies dont raise the price when u fit one

#6 pepe

pepe

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:17 PM

cheers guys

it was just a thought!!!
but i got an idea for a new topic??

#7 FATKiD

FATKiD

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Owners Club - Cape Town

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:34 PM

What about this :erm:

Posted Image

Can't remember where I found this pic :wink:

#8 ianbunyan

ianbunyan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:52 PM

Hehee... what a fab reply! I've seen some people do that and then stick an electric motor half way down the tube with a fan that 'rams' the air up the tube... HMMmmm... benefits please?? ;) :w00t:

#9 Baeumchen

Baeumchen

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:49 PM

what we see on your last picture is a ram induction system...

it works in the way that it gives vibrations to the air before it enters the carb

but how long it should be depends on the frequence that your engine has on max. rpm

so you need quite fine tuning when installing something like this

you need a pipe of 80-90cm when you have 300° cam eg.

but if you tune it fine enough, it will increase your torque so basically it works but its not easy to get it working

#10 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:01 PM

umm...is this a joke?

#11 Baeumchen

Baeumchen

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:33 AM

ehrm no....another pro for this system is that it doesnt create so much noise that close to the driver

#12 pepe

pepe

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:42 AM

no it wasn't a joke.... i've seen it on a few minis now, most recenty being at the ace cafe last thursday night.
and as i had this laying around in the garage i would ask if it was worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users