470 replies to this topic

#1 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:49 PM

Got my kit a few weeks ago and have now stripped back the engine (5pw) and spent some time cleaning it up and repainting it so that it looks tidy (hopefully it actually runs!) and this weekend i should have time to get it into the frame.

Reading the manual it all looks fairly straight foward so i dont forsee any dramas to begin with but my question is, is there anything to watch out for or any helpful ideas you could give me from you guys that already have the kit up an running?
Never attempted anything like this before so im sure there will be plenty of stuff i get stuck on as my mini comes together so any words from the wise would be great

Also if theres anyone with the kit that lives down south and could spare me an hour or so of their time to have a look at how they have done it that would be really useful to me.

thanks

#2 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

positioning of the clutch actuator armature was the only real snipe for us - and fit a barnet clutch before its all plumbed into the mini - you'll wish you had later. ;D

not anywhere near you soon but in months time I will be, or if youre ever anywhere near coventry call in :wub:

Edited by roofless, 12 October 2009 - 07:52 PM.

#3 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

did you run yours with the standard clutch first then?
think iv read posts on here that pulling away can be a bit tricky without the barnett clutch fitted. might consider that then before i go installing the engine.

cheers

#4 1stpromotive1275gt

1stpromotive1275gt

Mini Mad

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:00 PM

did you run yours with the standard clutch first then?
think iv read posts on here that pulling away can be a bit tricky without the barnett clutch fitted. might consider that then before i go installing the engine.

cheers

where in the south are you?
As far as I'm aware I'm the only person down this part of the country?

The barnett clutch is a must but I also went for a uprated spring actuator and so my clutch is much more car like now.
If you stick with the old one you'll kick yourself when it's all done only to have to pull it all out when the clutch slips!

#5 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:25 PM

im in Andover, hampshire.

think im convinced now to spend the money on the barnett clutch. want to try and do everything right, and do it once.
is there anything you need to retain from the original clutch or does the barnett do away with it all?

#6 1stpromotive1275gt

1stpromotive1275gt

Mini Mad

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

im in Andover, hampshire.

think im convinced now to spend the money on the barnett clutch. want to try and do everything right, and do it once.
is there anything you need to retain from the original clutch or does the barnett do away with it all?

I bought mine from a company called fluke motorsport after I burnt out my standard clutch at the brooklands mini show. This was from sitting in traffic with lots of hill starts. I bought the clutch plate and friction plates and also a spring actuator. The standard one feels very light with no feel so made it harder to judge the biteing point when pulling away. It's been fine since. I also bought a sump baffle as I was told this is another must.
Managed to change the clutch without removing the engine from the car but was not a job I would want to do again in a hurry.
Is yours a mini or a clubman? As mines a clubman that gave me more room to work with.

#7 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

round-nose but with a removable front so access isnt a problem.
thanks for all the advice its a big help

#8 baz500

baz500

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:07 PM

Got my kit a few weeks ago and have now stripped back the engine (5pw) and spent some time cleaning it up and repainting it so that it looks tidy (hopefully it actually runs!) and this weekend i should have time to get it into the frame.

Reading the manual it all looks fairly straight foward so i dont forsee any dramas to begin with but my question is, is there anything to watch out for or any helpful ideas you could give me from you guys that already have the kit up an running?
Never attempted anything like this before so im sure there will be plenty of stuff i get stuck on as my mini comes together so any words from the wise would be great

Also if theres anyone with the kit that lives down south and could spare me an hour or so of their time to have a look at how they have done it that would be really useful to me.

thanks

I live in winchester, would be interested in coming to see you and having a look i might be able to give you some help.
Thanks Baz.

#9 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:35 PM

Not at home much at the moment but pretty sure i can still arrange something if you're free sometime and want to pop up. just let me know

#10 baz500

baz500

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

thanks for re-plying is it possible to pop-up saturday???

#11 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:15 PM

im off to london saturday to see Greenday but should be back early afternoon sunday if thats any help.
I have got next Thursday and Friday off from work to crack on with the rebuild but away at the weekend again

#12 baz500

baz500

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:53 PM

Thats great would it be possible to come up sunday afternoon???? Would it be ok to have your e-mail address to contact you , you can contact me through: [email protected]
Thanks Baz.

#13 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:54 AM

Did you have to remove the upper part of the engine cradle? The cradle is awefully close to the clutch cover, so I'm assuming so?

Managed to change the clutch without removing the engine from the car but was not a job I would want to do again in a hurry.

Edited by Monte Busa, 23 October 2009 - 12:55 AM.

#14 1stpromotive1275gt

1stpromotive1275gt

Mini Mad

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

Did you have to remove the upper part of the engine cradle? The cradle is awefully close to the clutch cover, so I'm assuming so?

yeah, pretty much undid everything and was very tight but just about got the engine up enough to do it.

#15 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:54 PM

Finally making some progress now. Barnett clutch is fitted.
Attached File  102..JPG   2.23MB   239 downloads Attached File  103..JPG   2.15MB   467 downloads

And engine loosely bolted into frame - thanks for the help Baz500. Didnt look like it was going to line up to begin with but it did and its spot on. You do get what you pay for - 8 engine mounts and they all line up. very happy so far, its a really well engineered kit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users