477 replies to this topic

#391 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

The old girl hasn't spun a wheel since its mot week back in March. Currently thwarted by a fault code 11 on the dash. This doesn't allow the engine to even turn over.
Having replaced the camshaft sensor, and tested its voltage I'm satisfied that the fault is not with this component.
So I replaced the ECU but again to no avail which left me with removing the wiring loom and testing it end to end - from the block connector for the camshaft sensor to the ECU block pins.
There is continuity for all three wires so next step is starter solenoid and starter motor

Edited by racerlike, 07 August 2016 - 01:43 PM.

#392 steveo

steveo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

Amazing project thread

#393 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:50 PM

Thank you. 7 odd years in the making there's no excuse for it at least being half decent!

Shame that now it's 'finished' it spends almost all its time languishing in the garage unused

#394 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

Brief update. Pretty sure I have found the answer to my non-starting engine and fault code. Decided I would check the spark plugs just for peace of mind. Cylinder three felt loose. Wasn't even hand tight. So I took it out.....oh dear
image_zpssgkzs9r9.jpeg

#395 iSonic

iSonic

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:11 AM

wow the rest is still in?

#396 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

Yes - still wound into the head. I never over tighten spark plugs so I'm confident this will come out with a removal tool.
Never seen this before

#397 72r1mini

72r1mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:13 AM

I feel your pain, just hand this happen to me with #3 cylinder. Came right out though with an extraction tool

#398 Aceslow

Aceslow

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:32 AM

Hey racerlike,

Can I ask what fittings you used on the R1 fuel rail for your hose?  Are they just the covers over hose clamps or are they a push lock EFI connection.

thanks

#399 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:01 AM

I'm hoping it will come out easily enough too!

Yeh they are just hose cover ends but do the job well enough and I've used plenty of them.
Got them off eBay though quite expensive for what they are

#400 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:08 AM

hpoe you get the rest of that plug out. never seen that before. great build better get on with mine lol

#401 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

Came out easy enough.
Now where are my old spark plugs...oh yeh I remember I binned them as I thought I'd not be needing them again.
Off out now in search of new spark plugs
IMG_1144_zps1p8eh3j3.jpg

#402 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:23 PM

Sorting out the loom again after I took it all out to test a few months ago. Glad I labelled everything!
IMG_1152_zpsogcq5k7y.jpg

#403 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:31 PM

Another odd job I had been meaning to do for a while now was on the boot lid. I've never been able to remember why I chose to make the operation of opening the boot so fussy but there certainly won't be anyone wanting to copy it. The bolts that pass through the boot were statrting to chaff the carbon on the inside and chip away at the paint on the outside.
Simple solution to enlarge then boot holes and fit some top hat spacers.
IMG_1150_zps044sqfsn.jpg

#404 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:07 PM

Took the column shroud back to London with me so I could repaint it before I next go home. First bit of coverage went on well - not the best time to be spraying out doors but should turn out ok and it will look much better in the same colour as the rest of the interior.
IMG_1223_zpsng6iechl.jpg

#405 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

Little update - electrics all back in place after deciding to take it all out again. I wanted to make the hole in the bulkhead bigger to pass everything through easier and to accommodate a proper grommet.
New washer motor fitted as the old one was problematic through lack of use.
New spark plugs fitted.
Result - well the fault code 11 is still recoded on the display but I don't think it's registered as a current fault any longer as I am now able to turn the engine on the starter motor. it didn't actually fire up but I'm used to that - it can take a long time to start and after 8 months of inactivity I'm not surprised.
I'm hopeful to have it running and driving it again on my next visit home - it will also be MOT time once again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users