473 replies to this topic

#61 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

Cheers matey! I got a sample sent through, looks ideal! Will be using that stuff for sure.

#62 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

another month or so rolls by but this time i have a little more work to show for it.
interior is nearly finished, carpet is in, a little sound deadening, rear seat area is covered and iv done my own headlining. just need to decide on door cards and then order my seats/frames and another harness.

i finally got around to bleeding the brakes, something i had been putting off for a while now so i did every other job i could find until there was nothing left to do but bleed the brakes. i remember doing them on my R6 and it was a pain but the mini was relatively straight forward. im glad i used silicone fluid as i made a bit of a mess at one stage

bronzed polycarbonate windows are in. the fronts are sliding ones as im using the streetfighter doors from Mini Door Company.
number plate is on the boot (never bother with a front one except at mot time) and the led lights fitted.

get some new photos up tomorrow - its looking close to being finished but theres actually still a fair bit to do and time is in short these days.

#63 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

Photos are a bit poor im afraid as the light into the garage affects my camera phone.
Attached File  208._copy.jpg   44.86K   54 downloadsAttached File  206._copy.jpg   53.69K   23 downloads
Attached File  207._copy.jpg   51.78K   30 downloadsAttached File  209._copy.jpg   55.46K   35 downloads
Attached File  211._copy.jpg   53.03K   52 downloadsAttached File  213._copy.jpg   52.34K   51 downloads
Attached File  214..jpg   58.55K   54 downloads

#64 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

not so much progress this month. just sorting out a couple of bits and pieces. biggest thing is the mirrors are fitted although they will be coming off again to be sprayed up.
got hold of a partial R1 wiring loom so hopefully should be able to integrate the two in order to get the bike clocks to work.
Lastly i've been adding a few small cosmetic touches which happen to have my surname on so thought they would be quite fitting on my project.
Next things on the list are seats and wheels - the two most expensive items to purchase and i think ive decided on both at long last.

Frustrating not being able to spend as much time on the project as i used to but the list is slowly getting shorter so im still heading in the right direction.
Three and half years now and counting

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#65 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

ok so the electrics have started playing silly buggers. lights and indicators worked fine when i first installed the loom.
now when i flick the stalk for the right indicator the sidelights (front and rear) and numberplate lights come on. and if i switch the sidelights on the indicators come on on the right side.
the loom i had made has a connector block in the engine bay so i can disconnect the front loom entirely but problem is still present through the rear loom.

does this just sound like an earth fault?

i think ive stared at the problem on and off for a while and im missing the obvious.

#66 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

nice new seats. they fit me perfectly. shame i forgot about the obtrusive rollcage...
because they sit so low they have to mount behind the crossmember, which meant the outer shoulder was resting on the rollcage and therefore the whole seat was raised an inch in the air on that side.
a couple of extra holes in the side mounts did the trick and raised the back end up enough to clear the cage.

they fit but only in one position - there is no adjustment in any direction.
cant go back because the door frame obstructs the seat shoulder
cant go forwards because it hits the crossmember
cant go sideways because it hits the other seat

and yet by some fluke the seating position for me is spot on - legs stretched out but still within reach of the gear lever and dash switches.

now i need to bolt them to the floor so i need to be perfect with the holes...measure twice, drill once - measure twice, drill once

#67 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:15 AM

Have you weighed the seats?

I'd be interested to know the numbers if you did....

Thanks,

Dave.

#68 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

Yeh each seat weighs 6.5kg - theres a sticker on the bottom that gives all the figures including the name of who foamed the seats, who covered the seats, who quality checked it etc

these are the fibreglass versions but you can go to carbon if your pockets reach to your ankles!

the aluminium side mounts are stupidly expensive at around £100 per seat so i went for steel...
how disappointed i was when the delivery guy handed me the two very heavy boxes

Edited by racerlike, 20 September 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#69 F1L8EY

F1L8EY

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

im in Cornwall and having just read the last 5 pages am very excited!! lovely clean build. im hoping to do a similar build with the same kit. do you recon you could do it leaving the front end fixed or do you recon the removable front is the way forwards??

#70 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

Could you knock up some aluminium mounts yourself??

#71 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:12 AM

Having the removable front definitely made it easier for me to tackle the project in terms of engine access although like everything else it's not been without it's problems.

Not sure about making the sidemounts myself but now I've got a template I'm pretty sure a local engineering shop could make them cheaper than what they are being sold on line.

#72 Aceslow

Aceslow

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

Where did you get your shift knob from? I Can't seem to find anything like that on this side of the pond..

#73 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

It's a z-cars one from Huddersfield mini spares. Took me a while to find one like this

#74 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

Lovely work mate, the colour is fantastic, looking forward to seeing it done.

When you said LEDs earlier was that for the rear number plate lights/bolts? If so, which ones did you go for in the end as there seem to be quite a few different versions out there.

Trying to have some ali seat brackets made myself, if it goes well I'll pass on the waterjet people Mintec are using for them.

Cheers

Al

#75 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

I think they were made by Motrax if I remember correctly. They are nice little items and work well.
I have used LEDs for the indicators, brake and tail lights as I like the idea of using modern stuff on a car that's 41 years old

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users