#1 pepe

pepe

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:24 PM

watcha!

I was wondering what mod's or adjustment people have done to thier mini's, that have cost pennies or used or fabricated items that they have already owned to make thier mod's. and if they worked and if they are still workin.
Plus you can boast of how clever you are!!! pic welcome

cheers-pepe

#2 silvermini

silvermini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:19 PM

I put some 10mm k+n leads
splitfire plugs
alloy inlet manifold
1:5 rockers
RC40 exhaust
good air filter
hif44 carb

I found that this made a massive difference, also try to never use supermarket petrol as u will never release the power from your mods because its *******, always try and use optimax or super unleaded.
Also the little things make a big difference ie. having the rite fuel mixture and geting the timing done on the contact points in the distributor.

Got a HIF44 carb if u want to buy it?

#3 cats_mini

cats_mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:45 PM

Probably becuase my car isn't set up right but....the pipe that goes from the airbox to I think the exhaust manifold?(please don't quote me).Anyway...a lot of people take that pipe off but I've noticed that when mine perished,the car felt sluggish in every gear and would shunt at high speeds.

£1 of pipe from B&Q later and car drives great :lol:

#4 silvermini

silvermini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:49 PM

sorry but dont quite know what you mean about the pipe from the airbox to the manifold?

#5 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:15 PM

Heat exchanger pipe (it directs heat from the manifold into the air filter box).

#6 Twonk

Twonk

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:24 PM

I painted the bulbs at the back of my clocks red. cost about £1 looks really well :grin:

#7 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:18 PM

I put some 10mm k+n leads
splitfire plugs
alloy inlet manifold
1:5 rockers
RC40 exhaust
good air filter
hif44 carb

I found that this made a massive difference, also try to never use supermarket petrol as u will never release the power from your mods because its *******, always try and use optimax or super unleaded.
Also the little things make a big difference ie. having the rite fuel mixture and geting the timing done on the contact points in the distributor.

Got a HIF44 carb if u want to buy it?

supermarket petrol is ******* i agree, this is due to the fact that they purchase their fuel at auctions to keep prices down.They buy any old cr*p thats going where as shell, bp etc have their own refineries and make their own petrol. even standard unleaded from shell is better than the supermarket equivellant

#8 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:31 PM

I always use supermarket petrol... i put the shell suff in one day and my car ran like a bag o bolts for that tank.

#9 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:47 PM

I always use supermarket petrol... i put the shell suff in one day and my car ran like a bag o bolts for that tank.

need to use it a few times to clear the other stuff out. is it an injection or carb? think it takes a while for an ecu to accept the change in an injection. or i could chattin sh*t. i was told this by someone at london brighton two years ago.

#10 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:54 PM

Its a carb. I thought that and still even after i tried the "good" stuff it still ran really bad. Gone back to supermarket stuff, for the loss of performance i get money back :lol:

#11 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:56 PM

having an old kit car, there's loads of bits i've made myself for pennies! (or less)
the complete dash is made of bits of alloy out of the scrap bin in work, as is the engine bay bulkhead (rivetted together, and held in with titanium screws!)
most of the nuts and bolts are freebies from work.
the door cards are made from sheet fibreglass that normally lines the cargobays of airliners (1/16" thick, tough as anything and flame retardent!)

one of my finest freebies is the switch box in my mates race car.....the box itself is from an aircraft, is has aircraft circuit breakers for fuses, aircraft sitches , some with aircraft red flip covers on, the starter button cost £3.......and if you had to buy the bits to make the box you wouldn't get much change out of £500..!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users