#1 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:59 PM

Hi,

I have had some wheel studs from minispeed for about a month now. Never been torqued more than 40ft/lb, never been masivly stressed, never been used over 5mph.
And on sunday, this happend:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now one stud, i could accept as a defective stud, but 2 at the same time, on the same day, considering the way they have been used is absolutly appauling.

I urge you, DO NOT BUY WHEEL STUDS FROM MINISPEED!

I also bought a Ultimate engine steady from them at MITP, which did not fit, which makes me seriously question their business, why are the parts they sell so bad?

Worst of all, their customer service is horrible, When i told them what had happend they were adament that i had over torqued them and that i would not get a refund because they sell hundreds of them with no problems. Well ive had a problem and a very serious one at that, imagion if they had pulled through at 50mph on a country lane.

Thats all i have to say really, i dont need to go on, the evidence speaks for its self.
Just please, dont buy wheel studs from Minispeed!

Chris

I know i have said this in a previous topic but i think this is important enough that it should be posted again so that more people will read it.

#2 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:07 PM

mine are from minispeed and have been on there for about 6months with out fault

hmm must be a manafacturing fault cant blame minispeed for that
have you let them no???

woops just read enitre post

and i agree there customer service side of thi9ngs is poo

Edited by yeti21586, 13 October 2009 - 08:09 PM.

#3 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

they must have been really bad if they crumble at 40ft/lbs as its hardly that tight. when you fitted them, what are the chances that they cracked when you knocked them in their slots?

#4 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

I used an old wheel nut to pull them into their slot, they were only hit with a hammer to get them out. they were not mistreated at all before they failed.

Chris

#5 daemonchild

daemonchild

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,341 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:24 PM

I used an old wheel nut to pull them into their slot, they were only hit with a hammer to get them out. they were not mistreated at all before they failed.

Chris

^^^
I've worked with Chris on my mini. He's competent and careful.
I've also seen the love and care he is putting into his own car.
So I can't believe he'd screw up on something so important...
Ergo: faulty nuts. (Which sounds painful.)

#6 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:35 PM

Chris

^^^

Thankfully its faulty studs not nuts, so less painfull.
(Easy mistake, i keep calling studs and bolts nuts. :thumbsup: )

Thanks for the support.

Edited by Burnard, 13 October 2009 - 08:35 PM.

#7 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:40 PM

Chris

^^^

its a material fail for sure. Must say I have never seen the break like that, even if you over did the tightening you would strip the thread or snap the rod ( i have seen this done mixing lbs with Kg and Nm).
so how can you blame the seller? he can not control every nut and bolt can he and his answer would be a fair asumption to make

#8 daemonchild

daemonchild

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,341 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:47 PM

Chris

^^^

Thankfully its faulty studs not nuts, so less painfull.
(Easy mistake, i keep calling studs and bolts nuts. :thumbsup: )

Thanks for the support.

But nuts is funnier. :P

#9 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:53 PM

Chris

^^^

its a material fail for sure. Must say I have never seen the break like that, even if you over did the tightening you would strip the thread or snap the rod ( i have seen this done mixing lbs with Kg and Nm).
so how can you blame the seller? he can not control every nut and bolt can he and his answer would be a fair asumption to make

Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts:
• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

That pretty much sums it up. minispeed are liable, and i am entitled to compensation since where they have pulled through it has damaged the spline on the inside of the hub.

Tom, did you get my PM (RE: Favour) ?

#10 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:57 PM

have you asked trading standards for their thoughts ?

#11 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

Not yet, my parents dont think its worth it over £8. But i want to.

Im not entrily sure i have a case, but according to that info i found it would apear i do?

Could i get a refund for all 8 studs, or just the two that have broken, this is where im getting a little confused about where exactly i stand

I just wanted to warn people that their products, from my experiance, are not up to the standerd they should be.

Edited by Burnard, 13 October 2009 - 09:04 PM.

#12 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,890 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:05 PM

I would. That could be dangerous. So tell TS what's happened and see what they can do about it.

#13 Bec

Bec

Crazy About Mini's

• Admin
  • 5,898 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

Can I ask posters not to bring other companies' names into this unless you can prove your claims 100% please? This is about a product Burnard bought directly from Minispeed, no other company is involved. It's not fair to tarnish all of them with the same brush!

#14 kitroxin

kitroxin

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: Celtic Minis

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

Chris

^^^

Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts:
• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

That pretty much sums it up. minispeed are liable, and i am entitled to compensation since where they have pulled through it has damaged the spline on the inside of the hub.

Tom, did you get my PM (RE: Favour) ?

think someone else should read that ^^^

#15 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

Oh you mean that company? what was it called? oh yer, minispeed :thumbsup:

Might ring them again tomorrow and just quote that to them and see where i get

0 user(s) are reading this topic