11 replies to this topic

#1 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:09 PM

i managed to get my engine out no problem. but i cannot for the life of me get the flywheel off i have a flywheel puller and a long breaker bar but i am unable to release it any tips for removing it?

many thanks

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:43 PM

Hit the end of the crank a couple of times with a hammer and go and have a cuppa tea!!

#3 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:50 PM

i have hit the centre bolt of the flywheel puler more than once it is a right bast to get of i think it is coming very very slowly argh

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:53 PM

Yep, just be careful, because when it does come off, it comes off with a bang! So make sure you have a big pillow or cushion in the line of fire!!

#5 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:57 PM

i broke one flywheeel puller today the head of the nut just twisted off lol. I am tempted to take angle grider to it :rolleyes: :lol:

Also it got to the point where i was gonna buy a new engine but that would be silly :rolleyes:

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:05 PM

Answer, Get a decent flywheel puller, normally made by Sykes & Pickavent, Had mine for over 20 years no issues...

Also slow and steady, like jammy says, tighten a bit leave for a mo, tighten a bit more..

The best was, Tim at the Showdown removing his from his turbo, tightened it up, and went and had a burger, popped off while he was eating...

#7 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:26 PM

I agree! When I took mine off I thought it'd never happen. Had a load of tension on it and I was having one of those 'aaaah, my breaker bar aint gonna take it moments'

I took the 1/2" breaker bar and socket off so I could swap it for a 3/4" and reducer, and it dropped off itself, seems to always be the way too. They must start off by 'creeping' when the tension is on the puller, then bang.

Sounds like you need a cuppa and a burger and it'll sort itself out!

#8 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:15 PM

tightened it up and i have now gone home to have dinner will go back up n an hour or so :lol:

#9 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:00 AM

I've never had a problem. I tighten the puller very tight and with a sharp clean heavy blow with a 2lb hammer, hit the center pulling bolt. The shock should be enogh to break it free.

The use of a blow torch to gently heat the flywheel boss to the point that spit sizzles on it( thats right, spit on it :cheese: ) with the tention still on the puller should also help things. just be ready for the whole thing to jump off a good two to three inches. Keep them toes out of the way :cheese:

Unless you are unlucky and got a flywheel that has welded itself to the crank. If it does not come off with a bang, but pulls off slowly then its time for a new flywheel and crank. This problem is due to the flywheel not being tight enough in the first place alowing the flywheel to flex at this point. Localised heat of friction eventualy causes the flywheel to weld to the crank.

#10 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:52 AM

you can also give it a wolop with a lump hammer (and block of wood) through the starter hole
also check you have removed the big washer on the end :grin: before hitting too hard

#11 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:58 AM

..... also check you have removed the big washer on the end :grin: before hitting too hard

:w00t: hee hee yeah, I forgot to do that once!

#12 pierce

pierce

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:42 AM

I had one that wouldn't come off I put tension on with the puller heated it up tried putting tension on and leaving over night still didn't come of so had to grinder it down and crack it by hitting it with a hammer and chisel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users