#17 project mini chris

project mini chris

have a break, have a...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Designer Register

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

feel really sorry for you :( really hate it when things happen like this, hope you get it all sorted :(

#18 robtheplod

robtheplod

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:41 PM

The worst thing is you've been fair and tried to get it resolved by contacting him. He has chosen not to respond you say, so is aware he made a pigs ear of it. The problem now comes in that you'll have the devils own job getting anything back out of him...... really feel for you on this...........

#19 millermilla

millermilla

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Local Club: BMC Brighton Mini Club

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:46 PM

Truly shocking!

#20 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

what on earth happened there. that is not the kind of work i expected for wilderim_pickup. one thing everyone must remeber to try and do is to look at previous work that the welder has done before going ahead. i feel sorry for you :genius:

#21 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:39 PM

I don't like to *woman of ill repute* other peoples work off so I'm not going to comment.

However, it should be possible to salvage the front panel(with a little care)

Depending on how the driver side wing has been welded then it should be able to be salvaged and removed.

The passengers side wing is probably beyond repair, removing it from the panel and repairing the dent is probably more expensive than buying a new wing.

The A-panels MAY be salvagable.

You will need a scuttle stiffening panel and a scuttle end repair as well.

If you need any help feel free to PM me.

Edited by shiftyseamus, 25 October 2009 - 05:41 PM.

#22 Tillio

Tillio

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

The term "griff built" has never been so apt!

Granted, some of the gaps in the panels could be down to pattern parts not aliging, but crikey!

Hope you get it sorted without being too far out of pocket!

#23 mars red mike

mars red mike

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • Local Club: Bodge Speed Racing

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:11 PM

To be honest all of that is salvageable from what I can see. Careful work with a flap wheel on the grinder would remedy that mess. I am going to hazard a guess that he welded the wing on, noticed rust on the edge of the scuttle, went at it with the grinder and when the scuttle disappeared in a puff of P38 dust he realised he had bitten off more than he could chew. You can see there is a fair bit of work to do under that scuttle, I mean there is no closing panel for starters and the air vent hole is rotten too. And what is going on with that huge blob of weld at the top of the a panel?

#24 Saoirse

Saoirse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:12 PM

The worst thing is you've been fair and tried to get it resolved by contacting him. He has chosen not to respond you say, so is aware he made a pigs ear of it. The problem now comes in that you'll have the devils own job getting anything back out of him...... really feel for you on this...........

The humane thing to do would be for him to offer, I'm not holding my breath :genius:

Edited by Saoirse, 25 October 2009 - 06:12 PM.

#25 Mattl

Mattl

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

*melonsing* hell!!! He could offer to pay me and i wouldnt let him anywhere near my car with workmanship like that. What a cowboy!

#26 dave21478

dave21478

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

I dont know the chap, but that standard of work is completely inexcuseable. "just tack welding to get the fit right"....well, maybe, but the fit is shocking, the panel gaps are all over the place, and no matter what, no work should have been done without sorting the flitch panel and scuttle first.

If I were in your place, I would want a refund. there is no way I would be satisfied with a continuation of the work.

#27 Saoirse

Saoirse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:52 PM

I dont know the chap, but that standard of work is completely inexcuseable. "just tack welding to get the fit right"....well, maybe, but the fit is shocking, the panel gaps are all over the place, and no matter what, no work should have been done without sorting the flitch panel and scuttle first.

If I were in your place, I would want a refund. there is no way I would be satisfied with a continuation of the work.

I haven't given him any money, but not sure what to do about the ruined panels....

Edited by Saoirse, 25 October 2009 - 07:54 PM.

#28 dave21478

dave21478

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

Posted Image
why would you tack this externally? and if its jst tacks for fitting trials, why so many so close together, and how did he manage to burn through the panels, just left of the vertical seam?

But then....
Posted Image
Nobody of sane mind would try tacking these panels together when the panel fit is so obviously miles out. Thespanels need a fair bit of metalwork before being joined. Perhaps he just planned to bridge this up with filler?

Posted Image
I could undertand this if the final desired result was a smooth-look mini with the seams hidden. However, There is no real way to grind back these welds and leave the channel deep enough to take any seam sealer and look reasonable.

Posted Image
The dented wing is a bummer, but thats the least of the wories here. Why the hell is there a weld between the wing and scuttle here? again, this cant be convincingly finished and leave the seam looking reasonable. Then there is the a-panel. Sweet jesus, the a-panel. Its all over the place. I assume the door is slightly open here, which accentuates the poor panel gaps, but te basic fact is its simplynot in line with the trailing edge of the a-pillar.

The a-panel gaps are minor problem though when you see this....
Posted Image
Quite blatantly just folded (or tried to fold) the new panel over the top of the old, rusty, untreated hinge post. If this were finished like this, I would give it less than a year untill the rust comes back through worse than ever.

Posted Image
what the hell? just....what the hell?
nobody, and I mean NOBODY with the slightest common sense or pride in their work would weld the wing on without first repairing the flitch and scuttle.

#29 dave21478

dave21478

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:57 PM

Unless he is willing to refund the cost of the panels, I would write off that as a loss, put it down to a very bad experience and go elsewhere. I would not let him finish that job, under any circumstances.

#30 Saoirse

Saoirse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:16 PM

Unless he is willing to refund the cost of the panels, I would write off that as a loss, put it down to a very bad experience and go elsewhere. I would not let him finish that job, under any circumstances.

So you would say none of these panels are usable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users