#16 miller 666

miller 666

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

Nasty,

I guess the filter warning sensor is just a pressure switch so maybe a split fuel line set it off and peed on the exhaust manifold - pure speculation though.

The engine itself appears everywhere, it's a 1.6 Diesel, used in the small Peugeot's, Citroen's and others.

I know petrol would catch alight in this way, but would diesel?
I guess if the exhaust was hot enough...?
(Just thinking out loud!)

Petrol or desiel will not catch fire if dripped onto a manifold, there is not a real ignition source, it simply vapourises, it does not ignite.

Most likly an elextrical fault maybe made worse by a fuel leak.

Just want to correct you there mate, not sure about diesel as its ard to ignite but petrol certainly does catch fire whenit touches a hot manifold. Before i had chance to put the overflow pipe on the carb (its there for a reason....) i wanted to see if it would start, got it running fo half an hour and it suddenly spluttered, fuel out the overflow onto the manifold and hey presto a lil fire. It was nothing big and no damage was done but it certainly will ignite on the manifold!

#17 Heather&Henrietta

Heather&Henrietta

Boobs + Batteries = Trouble!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Local Club: JMC & BMC

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

The Bini Clubman at SMD which was due to be made into a shorty pick up (!!!!) by Palmers, was all burnt out started by an electrical fault by all accounts...

Glad you're ok and no one was hurt.

#18 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

Petrol or desiel will not catch fire if dripped onto a manifold, there is not a real ignition source, it simply vapourises, it does not ignite.

Most likly an elextrical fault maybe made worse by a fuel leak.

No, but if the vehicle runs an uncontrolled regen, with excessive air flow and oxygen, it would burn very hot, and lean, (this could be due to a catalyst failure/cracking). This would explain the white tailpipe as it's had a lean burn down the whole system, and also the high temperatures leading to ignition or burning of something on the vehicle, (could be cabling near the catalyst assembly, that is probably front mounted on this vehicle).

Dave

#19 sazal

sazal

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,512 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:49 PM

Oh god Glad everyone was alright!

Shame about the car...This isn't the first time I've heard of random BINI self combustion... Classic cooper won't give you this!

Well my classic had a dam good attempt at blowing me up last week :D

#20 MiniAlex

MiniAlex

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Local Club: Mini's N Oatcakes

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:54 PM

I am a driving instructor and bought a new Cooper D in September 2008, the car had successfully completed 25K+ and has been serviced under a TLC package. This afternoon whist being driven at 50 down a dual carriageway the warning light 'Diesel particle filter malfunctioning' came on. Just a yellow light usually indicating that a problem has occurred that will need dealt with soon. The manual says - 'Continue your journey... use next opportunity to drive faster than 38mph for 5 mins.. ' the light went out after travelling about half a mile, but then I had to stop at traffic lights, at which point I noticed smoke coming from the back - I believed it was coming from the exhaust. I took the car into a car park just off from the traffic lights and when I pulled up a passer by point to flames coming from underneath the offside front of the car. Initial only a very small fire but within seconds the car was well alight and was destroyed within minutes.

Has anyone come across this problem with the mini cooper D, it certainly is not something I expect of any car certainly not one so new. I am particularly concerned that there could be a fault with this type of car which could result in a far worst outcome. Fortunately no-one was harmed.

Ohh dear, sorry to see this :D

#21 bamby

bamby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:04 PM

glad both you and your pupil are ok, whilst reporting this to BMW it will also be worth reporting it to VOSA as they maybe interested in testing the vehicle independantly

#22 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:06 PM

Main thing is everyone is ok, and theres no BINI flaming here :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users