118 replies to this topic

#61 Koffee7

Koffee7

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

For the rear brake calipers you could maybe try the ones from an older golf GTi.

#62 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

i take it you mean from the mk 2 ??? possibly using the lighter (aluminum) mk4 callipers.

i will have to look into the size of them an see if they will fit in the 13's. cant imagine there too big ! cheers for the suggestion

Timmio85: cheers mate, i will have a look into it, too be honest VFM is what im after at the mo with a limited budget, dont want somethin that will brake the bank, but want somethin that will brake the mini.

Edited by Sean12, 13 January 2010 - 11:27 AM.

#63 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:31 AM

just read the mk4 callipers wont fit in 13" alloys, bugger. guess it would have to be mk3's if go down that route.....

#64 Timmio85

Timmio85

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

Sean, don´t think Metro turbo brakes are `budget braking´. Not too expensive, at least here in Holland.

#65 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:18 PM

ok cheers timmio85, ill look into it an see how much a pair would set me back, the vdub mk2/3 setup doesnt look too bad price wise, just got to make sure they will fit under 13's, if anyone has had any experience with this i would love to hear from you,

cheers guys

#66 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

I like what you have done Sean, that diff looks great! :)
I was thinking about a bike brake dics and cal for the rear

#67 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

cheers rosslin, yeah im pretty pleased with it.

yeah i have been thinking about this too for some time, just been tryin to think of a way to mount the brakes inboard and some how attach the callipers to the aluminium bearing carriers. It would be my preferred option as i think it would look sweet ! and should more than cope with the braking forces usually needed in the rear. what bike brakes have you been thinkin about ? busa's maybe ?

#68 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

Ducati. look at some old photos of lotus 6 etc they had inboard brakes on the rear end back in the 50s

#69 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:50 AM

awsome cheers mate, ill have a look, cheers for the advice !

#70 340i

340i

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:29 AM

Aparently there are some callipers from a lancia/fiat that have cable handbrake on that would be ideal, so going to look into that more.

...the front space frame will have an inboard suspension set up to, less unsprung mass and all that...

rear toyota levin callipers have both hydraulic and cable connections. i've got them in my 340i and they work fine. i assume corollas with disk brake rears run the same ones?

by the way, inboard suspension adds to unsprung mass, not the other way round. its benefits are packaging and aerodynamics. waste of time on a spaceframed mini imo, unless you want to put in adjustable bellcranks so that you can adjust the effective spring and damping rates without touching the shocks/springs.

#71 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:49 PM

340i- cheers mate I'll have to have a look into the Toyota levin brakes cheers for the suggestion.

Oh yea sorry of course it will, must have been a long day they day I wrote that. I see your point about having the suspension inboard and it's beneifits, not really up on suspension at the mo need to do lots of Reading to come up with a design.

Made an new purchase the other day, another mini :unsure: off a mate at uni picking it up next weekend so will get pictures up soon of it an will crack on with cutting out the back end.

Spoke to zcars yesterday and got a quote for pair of trailing arms. I got quoted £500, I nearly fell over, that is just ridiculous, so looks like I'll be fabricating them myself.

Sean

Edited by Sean12, 28 January 2010 - 11:00 PM.

#72 c.robertson00

c.robertson00

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

340i- cheers mate I'll have to have a look into the Toyota levin brakes cheers for the suggestion.

Oh yea sorry of course it will, must have been a long day they day I wrote that. I see your point about having the suspension inboard and it's beneifits, not really up on suspension at the mo need to do lots of Reading to come up with a design.

Made an new purchase the other day, another mini :D off a mate at uni picking it up next weekend so will get pictures up soon of it an will crack on with cutting out the back end.

Spoke to zcars yesterday and got a quote for pair of swing arms. I got quoted £500, I nearly fell over, that is just ridiculous, so looks like I'll be fabricating them myself.

Sean

Hay dude, Have a look at some e30 rear trailing arms for the rear end. They're quite a good design of could be adapted quite easily. Ive been thinking of using the for a bike conversion.

#73 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

c.robertson, they look sweet, they could be perfect, and far cheaper than zcars ridiculous £500. cheers for suggestion mate will deffo have to look more into this, i may try an fabricate my own, but this could be a good time saving option. might have a look around on ebay !! cheers mate !

#74 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:10 PM

by the way, inboard suspension adds to unsprung mass, not the other way round. its benefits are packaging and aerodynamics. waste of time on a spaceframed mini imo, unless you want to put in adjustable bellcranks so that you can adjust the effective spring and damping rates without touching the shocks/springs.

It also allows a rising spring rate if you design the geometry correctly - which is really the most important advantage. Its very difficult to acheive rising rate without the bellcrank.

Edited by SukiDawg, 02 February 2010 - 11:10 PM.

#75 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:50 PM

c.robertson, they look sweet, they could be perfect, and far cheaper than zcars ridiculous £500. cheers for suggestion mate will deffo have to look more into this, i may try an fabricate my own, but this could be a good time saving option. might have a look around on ebay !! cheers mate !

Hello Sean,
I have a set of semi trailing rear arms from a 4*4 sierra, they are in excellent condition, blasted and powder coated, picked up a few marks on the black powdercoat but otherwise as good as secondhand as you could get without buying new ones, fitted with new bushes. £40 plus postage or pickup from Chandlers Ford near Southampton

I will post a picture to show how good these are, probably Thursday

Cheers
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users