#1 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:58 PM

Hi all

Ive got a set of NGK irridium spark plugs and magnecor HT leads waiting to get fitted to the destroyer and also ordered the lucas sports coil from a very well known mini after market car parts company who decided to send me the standard coil a week after ordering!!!!!!!

So not being a happy bear at the mo i was wondering if it was worth all the fuss to get anyway and to just get my money back or is it pointless fitting all the above without fitting the sports coil??

Thanks all

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:38 PM

Depends what distributer system you have on the engine.

The electronic distributers, though not as temperamental as the injection systems do not take kindly to the extra juice these sports coils produce.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:43 AM

also depends if you have a ballasted ignition system, if you have then the lucas sports coil will be of no use to you as you need a specific coil..

Not sure your going to see any improvement over a standard set of plugs and leads however....

#4 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:00 PM

sorry to go a little off topic, but would a sports coil be any use to me on a pretty standard 998 which i will be fitting a stage 1 kit to?

Thanks
Mike

#5 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:29 PM

In reply to all the other posts ive attached a pic of the ignition coil that i have as i cant answer what one it is so hope this helps..........

http://img.photobuck...st1/Picture.jpg

Hope this helps

Johnny

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:19 AM

Johnnysti, I think (based on your other thread) that you have fallen victim to a situation where too many things have been changed at once. It's generally best to make one change at a time, evaluate the results, then move on to the next change... or put things back the way they were.

SportsCoils may be great in the U.K., but over here they continually seem to be the source of problems. I'm not sure why, but they seem to fail or cause failures more than standard coils.

I think to get the most out of hotter coils you need to change your plug gap and perhaps other settings, I've never bothered. If you're looking for a rock solid, reliable aftermarket coil, buy a Bosch Blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users