5 replies to this topic

#1 Momobeast

Momobeast

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:54 PM

Really hope you can help guys - its totally random!

I have a 98 Cooper with the original Rover Radio/Cassette player. I was driving to my mates house last nite, it was pouring down and road was very wet.

I was happily listening to the radio when all of a sudden I got some very loud feedback from the speakers (original ones) on the parcel shelf (only speakers I have). The radio then refused to work, although the head unit was still on.

I turned the headunit off but was greeted with a sound coming through the speakers which was copying the engine revs!!!! (I could hear the engine accelerating and dropping revs when i changed gear etc). When i turned the headunit back on the noise stopped.

Getting back into my car after visiting my mate - i can hear a faint feedback sound from my back left speaker, even though the keys arent in the ignition - my radio now refuses to work. I get the orange lights, but no "code" flashing up on the display - no sound - NOTHING!!!

Any ideas at all? Ive disconnected the battery to kick start the headunit into asking for the code - didnt work!!! I dont have the prong things to whip out the headunit either, could it be the connections to the Headunit? Or anything to do with the wet road??? :w00t:

#2 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:37 PM

Do you have any rust comin through under your windscreen/scuttle panel?!?

when it is heavily heavily raining, i get a bit of water coming in from the front windscreen, which makes it way to the top of the back of the headunit!! which caurses it to go a bit manic.. i know it is pretty dangerous, but i hardly ever take my car out in the rain!

so could be water damaged?! try taking it out, and seeing if there is any damp there..

Rich

#3 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:37 PM

also do rovers headunits have a fuse at the back of the head unit.. if so check this!

Rich

#4 Momobeast

Momobeast

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:43 PM

No rust on the scuttle or around windscreen,No water was coming through either - only a little when I use my pressure washer on it. Ill need to get the prong things and have a gander behind the HU - Are the prong things used to remove the HU universal? or do i need special mini ones etc?

Thanks for your responses guys - its doing my head in and I really want to get it sorted! :w00t:

#5 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 09 October 2005 - 08:27 PM

Mine only works sometimes and the rest of the time a little orange dash flashes round in the shape of an O, does anyone know what that might be?

#6 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:03 PM

are the power cables running along side the speaker wires? this can cause no end of problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users