#1 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:29 PM

Mini is running fine apart from one prob

After making a sharp bend/turn the steering wheel stays at an angle until it sorts its self out.
Even though the wheels are straight.

Any ideas what could be wrong? :w00t:

The car is a 1984 mini 25.

The tracking is fine; the lower arm bushes have been changed for poly ones, as the ones that were fitted looked worn.
Both track rod ends were changed before I purchased the car.
Have checked that all bolts/nuts are tight.

And it has recently passed its MOT with no mention of any faults.

I know there will be someone out there who will know whats up.
As this is a bit of a problem living in MK, with all the roundabouts.
:sad: ;) :sad: :cry: :sad:

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:41 PM

Could be a tight ball joint???? I've seen that before on a mini. It could be a geometry thing though?

Does the steering feel tight all of the time? If so I would disconnect the track rod ends and see if the hubs feel tight to turn or if the rack feels stiff with both hubs disconnected. Caster angle can also have an effect on the steering 'self righting' itself I think. No chance of a bent tie bar is there?

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:06 PM

Didn’t mention it before,
But also changed the tie bar bushes at the same time as the lower arms.

Didn’t appear to be bent.
They are the standard non-adjustable ones.
I know the tracking was set Wright, as I was the one that did it at the last place I worked.

I will be servicing it later in the week so I will have a look/play at the same time

#4 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:42 PM

Have you used the correct amount and grade of lubricant in the steering rack? This could cause the rack to stick :w00t:

#5 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:15 PM

I’ve had the car now for the past six months
have been finding out that every thing that I haven’t changed recently is original 20+ years old and starting to show its age.

I don know what ammont of or grade lube has been used.
I haven’t touched it since buying the car.

#6 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:30 PM

have been finding out that every thing that I haven’t changed recently is original 20+ years old and starting to show its age.

If that is the case it might be worth going over the car in general with a fine tooth comp and changing all the wearable parts and making all the necessary ajustments like greasing the accelerator cable, ajusting drum brakes, changing oil filters, HT leads, plugs, oil seals, rubber mountings, its also a good way to familiarise urself with the car.

You could get a new gaitor kit for the steering rack and fill it with lubricant, even if it isnt the source of the problem it surely couldn't do any harm! i believe the correct grade grease is mentioned in the haynes manual although i just used some molibdimum (or what ever its called) based grease as that should be more than adequate, although it stains everything! :wink:

After making a sharp bend/turn the steering wheel stays at an angle until it sorts its self out.

Thats what makes me think its rack related, a sticky mechanism that needs lubrication! :w00t:

Neway good luck with finding the sourse of the problem!

#7 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:57 PM

If that is the case it might be worth going over the car in general with a fine tooth comp and changing all the wearable parts and making all the necessary ajustments like greasing the accelerator cable, ajusting drum brakes, changing oil filters, HT leads, plugs, oil seals, rubber mountings, its also a good way to familiarise urself with the car.

I did this as soon as I had the car on my drive
Took loads of pics to just in case I messed up and had something to go back to

Will be serving the engine this week: Plugs, oil, filters, points etc before the dreaded winter sets in.
The coil and plug leads are new because of a misfire due to the coil overheating

So it should start first time after a night out in the cold.

Will try and fill the steering rack with lubricant
As u say I can't do any harm, one less thing to worry about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users