20 replies to this topic

#1 Timmio85

Timmio85

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:09 AM

I have been reading on this forum for quite a long time know and only posted a few times, so I thought it was time to start my own topic about my RWD R1 Mini. First some general information:

Project: RWD R1 Mini.

Starting date: Tuesday april 7th, 2009.

Engine: VX4, 150 hp, 4 x 40mm Mikuni BDSR 40 carbs. Standing in front of rear axle.

Drive: Chaindrive.

Car: Mini 1000 HLE, 1984, grey

Wheels: 13" BMW Alpina wheels, 6j, ET13.

Tires: Avon slicks. Front 6j, Rear 7j. Rain: 6j.

Dash: Yamaha R1.

Edited by Timmio85, 03 November 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#2 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

sounds good mate, will be interesting to watch your build, i am doing one very similar but with a blade engine, so will be good to see how you go about things, maybe bounce some ideas of each other. Sounds awsome mate, any piccys ?

#3 Timmio85

Timmio85

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:42 AM

Here are the first pictures. We started by taking as much out of the car as possible, as we had the rollcage professionally installed. The seats that can been seen on the pictures, were only to figure out where the cage should be welded.

Rear of the mini. Fuel tank and rad will be mounted in the front of the car.

Posted Image

We took the stock engine out of the car by supporting the front subframe and engine and than lifting the complete Mini over this. Doesn't seem like the easiest option, but is was fun.

Posted Image

Here is a picture of the 4XV Yamaha R1 engine that will be installed.

Posted Image

The rollcage is made of 52 steel, 38mm in diameter with 3mm thick walls. Ofcourse nonwelded steel. The first picture is when we picked up the car from the cage builder.

Posted Image

Here are some pictures of the overall structure of the cage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I got some nice wheels and a new steering wheel for the Mini. Didn't go for the Ultralights or Sportspack wheels as I wanted something different.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Difference between front and rear tires:

Posted Image

Wheels on the car. And no, the car does not have to be lowered, its up on jackstands ;-).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Steering wheel:

Posted Image

Edited by Timmio85, 09 December 2009 - 10:22 AM.

#4 Timmio85

Timmio85

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

We then started with building the rear subframe. Note that this is our first setup of the rear subframe, this has been changed recently!

Rear subframe: Standard Mini front subframe. Will be modded though.

Front Brakes: Metro vented discs with the well known 4 pod calipers.

Rear brakes: Standard Mini front disc brake setup.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Timmio85

Timmio85

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:04 PM

Big change to the rear subframe mounting setup and therefore to the rear part of the rollcage as well. As I ordered my front and rear suspension from ZCars I did not realize that this would not fit in the rear with the rollcage as it was. Therefore we had to move the two 'diagonals' in the rear to end up narrower. See picture. We also had to remove the rear inside wheel arches to get the clearance we need for the rear suspension setup.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As a result of the current rear wheel setup and the 7j wide slicks, the Mini's ass got quite fat:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also got myself a pair of Cobra Clubman seats and some Sparco 4 point harnesses ass well.

Posted Image

More updates after the weekend.

Edited by Timmio85, 09 December 2009 - 10:24 AM.

#6 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:44 PM

Looks sweet mate should defo be an interesting one I have deffinately never seen a front subframe in the rear before, heard it talked about but never done. should be sweet. Quick question tho buy having the weight of a front subframe in the rear, will this not exagerate the uneven weight distribution? Can't wait to see this progress tho. Good work mate.

#7 Timmio85

Timmio85

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

Ofcourse, this concept will make the rear end slightly heavier than the ZCars concept. By putting the fuel tank and radiator in the front of the car we try to balance this a little. Also, and probably more important, the full weight of the R1 engine and most of the rear subframe will be positioned in front of the rear "axle". Therefore, the weight distribution will probably not be too bad.

#8 sotiris

sotiris

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

nice idea ..........intresting

very good job there...... keep posting...........

Edited by sotiris, 03 November 2009 - 03:05 PM.

#9 Timmio85

Timmio85

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:07 AM

Its time for an update as requested by a few of you. The complete rear suspension setup, which looks almost like a spaceframe together with the front cage, is almost finished. Next step is rebuilding the Metro turbo brakes for the front and the 8,4 disc brakes for the rear. Then it will finally be time to fit the R1 engine.

Rear suspension setup fotographed from the front of the car:

Posted Image

From the rear of the car:

Posted Image

From the rear side window:

Posted Image

And finally, the Mini back on its rear wheels, not yet on its front wheels though:

Posted Image

Will keep posting as progress is made. Probably next update in a week or two.

Edited by Timmio85, 09 December 2009 - 10:12 AM.

#10 paul6266

paul6266

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Local Club: Retro Classics

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

looking good, how are you planning on fitting the engine to the subframe? are you using the pro-motive conversion? i was looking into doing this with my new toy

#11 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

looking sweet mate, coming along nicely ! just a quick question, how did you work out the height needed for the top suspension joint ? did you just use the full extended length of the sus ? are you sure those welds and joining methods will hold the force from the suspension, in a spaceframe the ideal joining method for tubes is by connecting there centrelines etc. and when you weld it makes the material brittle. but i have no reason to doubt it if it is strong enough, somethin i would deffo test before nailing it round a track lol

lookin cool tho mate, cant wait to see next update !

Edited by Sean12, 09 December 2009 - 11:11 AM.

#12 Timmio85

Timmio85

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:37 PM

@ Paul: As we have done with everything on this project, we will just manufacture this ourselves. We will use the standard mounting point of the engine and will go on from there. A little like the Z's.

@ Sean: I donĀ“t know what you mean by the "centrelines" of a tube? We have calculated everything to be way stronger than we think is needed.

As for thew height of the top suspension joint: we used the wheelcentres as a reference for the height. Just measured the length of the suspension itself, both while standing on its wheels and while compressed to full stop.

I have to tell you though that I am not the technical guy on this project. I'm more like the guy that makes sure everyhting is available when needed and finances everything :thumbsup: .

Edited by Timmio85, 09 December 2009 - 02:43 PM.

#13 Sean12

Sean12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

i see, well if its all calculated to be stronger than needed that should be sweet. what i mean with center lines is that if you look at any space frame the tubes centerlines (invisible line at the center that would run the length ) intersect when they join, this is because this is the best way for the load to be spread thru the frame, the use of gussets can help this matter, but to get the best strength from the frame it is ideal to join the pipes so that there centerlines intersect. at the end of the day as long the frame is strong enough to hold together under the load of all the components (suspension etc), it is the stiffness that is the most important factor that will affect the performance of the space frame !!! that is only as a word of warning just to make sure its safe an all ! just a heads up ! lookin sweet tho !

Edited by Sean12, 09 December 2009 - 05:41 PM.

#14 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

That looks awesome, doing a really good job there mate.

Look forward to the next update!

#15 paul6266

paul6266

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Local Club: Retro Classics

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

sounds like a good idea, well i cant wait to see how you mount the engine and sort out the transfer box, keep up the good work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users